“Unbeatable Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable Holiday”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Fantastic hotel with excellent staff, food, accommodation and service. Great location and well planned design. Staff couldn't do enough for you and the superb facilities made for an unbeatable holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank oscarlives
Jens L, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, 2 September 2014

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay among us!

Thank you once again for your review and your great support!

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from 10 nights at the Maritam for our honeymoon where we had an absolutely fantastic time.

As many have commented, the staff really make this place. Every single member of staff was friendly and helpful, many knew us by name, knew we were on honeymoon and were aware what activities we had been doing that day. This personal touch really makes a difference.

Our butler Sanjiv was extremely helpful throughout the stay - arranging restaurant bookings and activities for us and often seeking us out on the beach to check if we needed anything. He also arranged a late check out on the final day without me even asking for this.

Location
The hotel is quite isolated - about an hour from the airport and nothing to see in the immediate vicinity. However it is only a short taxi ride from Port Louis and the hotel can arrange taxi hire (including half or whole days). If you intend to stay on resort then make sure you come well stocked as the boutiques were quite pricey - we ran out of suncream and paid £20 for a bottle.

Check in
We found the check in process a bit overwhelming. After 24 hours travelling with little sleep there was a lot to take in. Our butler talked us through this in detail. With hindsight I would have asked him to come back the next day when we were more awake.

We were able to get into the room 2 hours before the advertised check-in time, which was fantastic as we were desperate to sleep.

Accommodation
We upgraded to a suite at a cost (through our operator) of about £700. I believe free upgrades can sometimes be given but this depends on availability. The suite was lovely - amazing sea view, big bathroom, two toilets, large terrace with chairs and sunbeds, king size bed, free wifi - however it was probably more space than we needed. The dining room and living room areas got little use (chairs were not comfortable so we stuck to the bed) and you are not in the room that much really anyway.

There were a few small issues in the room (blocked drain and broken handle on drawer). I reported these on our way to dinner and they were fixed by the time we returned. The hair dryer also broke one evening while I was getting ready but the maintenance team came straight away to replace this.

My main gripe with the room was that we were just across the river from the next hotel (La Plantation) which often played loud music until midnight. If you are a light sleeper this might bother you.

Honeymoon
As honeymooners, we got many free extras including champagne and fruit basket on arrival, spa discounts, free horse riding session, free brunch at the Chateau, dining card (see below). The best part was the VIP beach package which guarantees you a sunbed in the VIP part of the beach. The service we received here from Jay and Dave was absolutely fantastic. They quickly learned what drinks we liked and kept us topped up throughout the day. They also brought lunch and afternoon snacks. As a result, we spent most of the holiday here! I would definitely recommend paying extra for this. If nothing else, it means you don't have to worry about finding and keeping a decent sunbed for the day.

My only issue with the resort as a honeymoon destination is that I had really expected it to be mostly other couples and honeymooners but it was actually mostly families. This meant I did not find it to be as romantic and relaxing as hoped, mainly due to the babies and children making lots of noise on the beach. I would suggest the hotel considers having an adult-only area of the beach. In hindsight, I would probably have booked an adult-only hotel for our honeymoon.

The main all inclusive restaurant was very good. The buffet was well varied and good quality. Beware you can queue to get in at peak times. As honeymooners we were given a dining card (think you normally have to pay for this) which entitled us to eat in all other restaurants at no extra cost. I would definitely recommend this as the buffet can get a bit samey. In particular, we really enjoyed the Lakaz Kreol experience which gave us the chance to sample some genuine Mauritian cuisine in a small group. We also enjoyed the Les Filaos beer garden for the hog roast and rib nights.

My husband was a little confused about the dress code as this does vary depending on the restaurant and time of day. For the fine dining restaurant you do need to wear a shirt and proper shoes but personally I liked the fact that there were high standards.

Drinks
The Quarter Deck bar is a lovely place to enjoy a few drinks in an evening. The choices of drinks included is much better than other all inclusives I have experienced. My husband was disappointed that there was no whisky included although some whisky based cocktails were. I had a great time sampling the wide variety of cocktails.

Entertainment
There is a fantastic choice of daytime activities, many of which are free. We did not really do much apart from a ride on the glass bottom boat, but we gathered that children could be kept well occupied with the kids club, archery, jet skiing, mini golf etc.

If you like a lot of entertainment in the evening then this is probably not the place for you. The bars had live music from small groups of guitarists but there were no shows (despite our operator saying that there are). Personally we were very happy with this but some people may find it lacking.

I visited the spa since we got 50% of a treatment for the honeymoon package. The spa itself is beautiful and very well maintained. The staff were very knowledgeable and professional.

Weather
We visited in mid August which is winter time. There was rain on the days we arrived and left but on the whole it was warm and sunny. Can sometimes be a bit cloudy and it is quite breezy. We were perfectly comfortable sitting out in the evenings. The sea was quite warm and very refreshing for a dip on hot days. We did not bother with the pool as we had heard this was cold.

Overall this is a top quality hotel with great food and excellent service. Only a few minor bugbears stop me as rating this 5*, and I am very picky!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views. We stayed in a suite (Namaste) which was lovely but I don't think you...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Emma1307

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed at the maritim as part of our honeymoon in June and I have to say it was faultless, the food was amazing the staff were consistently brilliant the hotel and all facilities were spotless at all times and the whole setting was just paradise nothing was too much trouble and they couldn't do enough for us. I did not want to leave when it came to or last day and We will definitely be returning in the future Thank you so much for our wonderful stay! Mr and Mrs parker :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank April W

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay among us!

Thank you once again for your review and your great support!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A good hotel with few downsides. All inclusive package is good value - but consider the gourmet pass (the advantages of which was not mentioned on arrival by the hostess). Minor points - if you go all inclusive the wine is pretty basic albeit unlimited - would have been nice to have an upgrade option since over 2 weeks it gets a bit boring. Beach - sand itself is fine - but undersea is rocky - if you want an amazing beach then probably need to go to Maldives. Hire a car and drive round the island - some interesting areas. Maybe there is not a perfect place - but it did the job of ensuring switch off.

Room Tip: upgrade your room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 3HappyTraveller3

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor and your faithfulness to MARITIM
Hotel Mauritius.

The entire team is glad that you have once again enjoyed your stay among us and met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in May on the Maritim Estate!

Yours Truly,

Wordsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are here for our second time in the last year. As returning guests they remember you well and if you have a standard room you get free breakfast on the beach . There are lots of nice touches eg little cakes in room etc. All restaurants are great but we paid £120 and choose to eat at chateau 3 times it is amazing there . We used gym a few times to work off the extra cals plus did Zumba etc Tessa is a lovely member off staff . Walks on morning are fab with Tessa . Also go on bike tours did both and are excellent vikram is a great tour guide . Get your money at airport great rate plus you do need their money for taxis etc. I would recommend bring some euro if you like rums and drinks in grand baie is cheaper to buy in euros .Plus bring waterproof camera you can go out snorkelling from hotel. Also bring beach shoes that's a must. Hope you enjoy yourselfs like us . Will be returning again. Dave on beach VIP was fab and always their with a drink in his hand for us . But all the staff make this the best place we have ever been .Spa is also worth a visit if you are coming for first time you need more than 10 days to enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: We had room 456 which has a good view of garden and sea. But would say most rooms are a good standar...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jens L, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Loyal Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor and your faithfulness to MARITIM
Hotel Mauritius.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in May on the Maritim Estate!

Yours Truly,

London
Reviewed 22 August 2014

If I were to design my perfect hotel, I should start with the Maritim as my template.
Despite what most people have said, I did not find the island to be as beautiful as I had hoped, but there is no mistaking how elegant and picturesque the hotels are. The Maritim is simply stunning in so many respects. The bay is just picture postcard perfect and the hotel adorns it like a jewel.
My view may be jaundiced as I went top of the range with a suite, but we were pampered so much we were overwhelmed. The rooms were simply breathtaking, a large spacious suite with the lounge set up with a bed for our teenage son together with his own bathroom. Our own facilities were magnificent, add to that the free gourmet card we were given allowing us to go a la carte free of charge in every restaurant, the free champagne, the free water sports and the amazing food, we were blown away.
However as so many have said before its the staff that make this place. They are so friendly you feel you are leaving old friends at the end of the holiday. The VIP beach was just perfect with free drinks and food appearing constantly though the day.
On day eleven, the VIP beach assistants advised us to take boats out immediately as 3 sperm whales had been spotted just offshore. They were able to scramble boats immediately for us and we had the most thrilling experience watching these beautiful leviathans from our speedboat. Dolphins are also regularly seen here.
The place is spotlessly clean, breakfast at La Maree is simply breathtaking with the view from the beachfront restaurant and the wonderful breakfast.
The sunsets too are amazing and attract wedding couples for photos daily.
The culinary highlight was our 3 visits to the 3 Michelin starred Chateau Mon Desir which is in the grounds but reached by a golf buggy driven by the ever smiling Abishek.
We shall be returning again next year Im sure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a suite. All rooms are sea view at all categories. Book for longer than you e...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank TheMuffinManLondon
Jens L, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, 23 August 2014

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we have met and exceeded your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and see you next year!

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I write this just ended the first of our two weeks at this exceptional hotel. From the moment you arrive you are treated with curtesy, politeness and warmth. A number of the negative reviews have complained that upon arrival rooms were not ready. This was the case for us, but this was not a problem. There is a beautifully appointed 'arrivals' room where you can change from your revel clothes or even take a relaxing shower. As soon as you arrive and assuming you have gone all inclusive "which I would strongly recommend", everything is available.
There is so much to entertain from the water sports through to tennis and horse back riding. I would recommend the snorkelling trip. The food is terrific from the sumptuous breakfast (try the experience of breakfast on the beach), through to the beach service.
The strongest recommendation I can give is that we came here lady year and are already planning for 2015. You simply will not find a finer hotel on the island.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dan G

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay among us.

Thank you once again for your review and your great support.

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!