“Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Herefordshire
“Paradise”
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We got married/honeymooned at the Maritim in November 2008.
The arrival at the hotel was amazing. After a very long flight (12hrs) and transfer it was like landing in Paradise (although I had a strange feeling of guilt after seeing the poverty of some parts of the island during the transfer). You are instantly greeted with a cold towel, fresh pineapple cocktail and breathtaking view of the Indian ocean through the open lobby.

The food was excellent, we were constantly impressed. We tried so many new fruits, vegetables and dishes whilst we were there - never eating the same meal twice. Most of the food is grown on the island, they are very self-sufficient and it was always extremely fresh, much of it cooked/prepared in front of you. We travelled with both sets of parents and they were equally as impressed as we were. A huge variety of choice for all 3 mealtimes.
We ate our wedding breakfast at La Maree as we liked the idea of eating on the beachfront. The 6 course meal was beautiful and as it was our wedding day we were able to design the menu to suit our tastes from a choice of dishes with the wedding planner & chef. You also get a fancy printed menu with your names and wedding date on which is a lovely keepsake.
We ate at Mon Desir (the fine dining restaurant) on our last night and it was certainly a memorable experience - not to be missed!

Our wedding day was by far the best of our lives. Geraldine , our wedding co-ordinator worked so hard and every aspect of the day is suited to (and chosen by) you. I was a little apprehensive before we travelled as I had heard of weddings abroad being like a conveyor belt and/or 'tacky'. It was neither. Ours was the only wedding that day although there were other days when 2 weddings took place. This did not seem to be a problem though as there are several co-ordinators working at the hotel and the weddings were spaced out. I would suggest if you are getting married out there to request the ceremony as late in the day as possible as the heat at midday is sweltering!!
I was impressed with our photos, they were very professional. You are able to select which ones you want and for a small extra cost can purchase a cd of your pictures which you can copy from at home (a rarety in the UK).
The wedding day was totally stress free and although some of the other holidaymakers get up to have a look as you walk through the gardens to the beach, you are soon left alone and no-one comes close to the gazebo.
It is well worth booking the honeymoon suite for a night. It has a hot tub, sun terrace, outdoor showers, huge bathroom & wetroom and massive bed. The beakfast the next day was great, the waiters bring it through and lay out a huge spread (see pics) on the balcony whilst you lazily wait! You are well and truly spoilt and I now know what it's like to be treated like royalty.

There is loads to do in Mauritius and at the hotel. Most watersports are free. We snorkelled nearly every day and saw lots of unusual fish & sealife. We took a helicopter trip from the hotel (it has its own helipad) around the island and coastline which was fantastic. I would highly recommend this, you get the best view and get to see the island in its entirety although it is pricey (I think about £600 for an hour).
We also went deep sea fishing (well worth the experience) and took a catamaran trip to Ile aux Cerfs (tiny island next to le Tousserok) which is also worth doing.

I feel like I'm going on a bit here but there is so much to say for the place.

I know it's a cliche but the people are so very friendly and cannot do enough for you. It's a bit strange at first (puts our British service and manners to shame) but it didn't take us long to get used to! You are served fresh towels as soon as you arrive at the beach, drinks are served all day and your every need is catered for (especially by the beach boys which are great)! They all seem to know your name and exactly which room you are staying in after a few days which we found incredible.

Only 3 small words of warning:
- Make sure you drink lots more (water!) than normal as it is so hot and humid I fainted on one occasion.
-Make sure you use mossie spray night and day - I got over 60 bites and most of these were in the daytime (we were near to the water by the small bridge at La Maree).
-Please, take no notice of any bad reviews you may encounter......I cannot believe anyone could write a negative review about this lovely piece of the world.

We would certainly recommend this hotel - it exceeded all our expectations by far and hope to be able to afford to go back one day. Most definitely the holiday of a lifetime!!

• Liked — weather, food, service
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank LANEY8283

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2009

we stayed in the maritim for 3 weeks in nov. we got married after a week and then spent the next 2 weeks relaxing! We were slightly worried that our 3 year old daughter would get bored but she is still begging us to go back!

on arrival you are greeted with the most beautiful view and a cold drink and chilled towel which you really appreciate after the long journey! the rooms are so clean and the bed is massive!

the range of food and drink on offer is amazing! we have been to other all inclusive resorts but never food as amazing as the maritim! we ate something different every night in the 3 weeks! we ate our lunch every day in the beach rest as it was so beautiful, food was amazing and service unbelivable!
every meal time the chef would come out and ask our daughter wat she wanted to eat and make her wat ever she wanted! they even made her crepes like minnie mouse and pina coladas with no alchohol!

really good range of drinks for an all inclusive and the cocktails are amaxzing!

our wedding was the best day ever! so relaxed! daniella the weddin planner is so good and made our wedding just exactly how we wanted it! we chose the wedding gazebo on the beach and the took the catermaran sunset cruise and then had ur dinner on the beach! the dinner table was gorgeous surrounded by candles and decorated with flowers and we ate the menu that i had personnally designed with the head chef!
some of my family also stayed in the maritim and also agreed that it was a holiday of a lifetime unlike some other members of our family who stayed in the nearby plantation hotel! not good!!!!!!

my husband really enjoyed the water sports esp the snorkelling! i think he went every day! and i can recommend the spa where i had a treatment and also my wedding hair done and im quite hard to please being a beauty therapist!

the highlight of our holiday was def the staff! i hav never met a nicer, more genuine group of people! they would do any thing for you! They dont even let you pour your own water! they made such a fuss of our daughter and she was practically treated like royalty! vanesh in the quarter deck bar was esp attentive to her!

our daughter also joined the kids club and she loved it! she made loads of friends and went horse riding and visited giant turtles!
we also met some really lovely people in the maritim and still keep in contact with some of our friends!
if any has any thing they want to ask us bout this amazing hotel or the wedding please feel free to contact me

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank kirstywilson
Leicestershire
Reviewed 5 January 2009

This Hotel is excellent. The staff are wonderful. Nothing is too much for them and everything is done efficiently and with a smile. The staff around the pool and the beach work tirelessly fetching you drinks all day straight to your lounger so you dont even have to get up!

Each morning the Hotel is cleaned so that it is spotless. The sunbeds are washed down daily and dryed. All through the day you see people cleaning and tidying to keep the place looking nice.

The food was excellent. A good variety. In the main restaurant it is mainly buffets but they do have 2 a la carte evenings where they serve you. There is a fine dining restaurant which as an all inclusive guest you get credit to use against the menu there. It was good but not really any better than in the 2 main restaurants so I probably wouldnt bother. The restaurant down near the beach was lovely. You could sit on the sand and the area around your table would be decorated which was a lovely touch.

The grounds are lovely too. Even when the Hotel had weddings to accomodate you wouldnt have known as the service remained the same.

The spa is also worth a visit. I didnt think the treatments were that expensive either.

There is a 9 hole golf course at the Hotel which is free to use. Also they run free water skiing from the jetty. Most Hotels I have stayed at make a charge for these facilities.

Its not far to Grand Baie or Port Louis which are both worth a visit. the main attraction at POrt Louis is the purpose built shopping centre. Its where the cruise ships stop. Worth a look. Grand Baie is good for a visit in the eveings. Plenty of bars and places to eat if you fancy getting out of the Hotel. Its not cheap in Mauritius, particularly the drinks so watch out.

Le Maritim is closing in April until October for some upgrading work which will then give them 5* status. I suggest that you go now and receive 5* service for 4* prices.

The only thing I could say is that the room could be a little larger particularly the bathroom which was small. I believe this is one of the things that the Hotel are addressing when refurbishing.

I hope they manage to keep their staff as this is what makes this Hotel special. On talking to them alot have been with the Hotel for many years, some even from when the Hotel opened.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms are a bit small
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeicestershireDex
Bishop's Stortford
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed at the Maritim on an all inclusive basis between 10th and 17th November travelling with Virgin and Emirates having first stayed in Dubai for 3 days. Sorry for delay in posting review but computer broke and only recently got fixed!

Our first impression was good. We arrived early morning having flown with Emirates so there was only us to check-in. Were greeted with pineapple drink and cold towels. After check-in were shown to our room and at that point disappointment took over. The room had a peculiar smell to it, were not sure if it was mould or something a little more unpleasant. After much toing and froing we were given keys to two other rooms to look at and decided on one of the rooms which had a lovely view overlooking the creek and beach. This room didn't have a kingsize bed which I had requested but as it smelt so much fresher than the first room decided would rather that than a kingsize bed! I would say at this point that the comfort rooms are below what you would expect for a 4½ star hotel, especially the bathrooms, but as previous tripadvisors have mentioned these rooms are due for refurbishment/re-design in 2009 and I understand the hotel is closing for approximately 6 months to complete the works. It would be interesting to see how the rooms look after the works have been completed. That being said the room itself was spacious enough and was kept very clean.

After the disappointment of the room we hoped that it wasn't a taste of things to come. Thankfully it wasn't. From then on we had a fantastic holiday and as the week went past the hotel grew on us more and more. The staff were helpful especially in the dining room and we never waited very long for drinks in the restaurant, bar area or beach. I drink Martini Rosso and was pleasantly surprised that they had the real thing at no extra cost and not a substitute as I've had in some all inclusive resorts. A couple of hiccups in the dining room, one lunchtime when they had a convention on and it was unclear what the all inclusive guests could or could not have and one night when we wanted dinner very quickly but unfortunately this was one of the a la carte nights and things were a little slow. The breakfast buffet was good, about the same as you get at most 4 star hotels, the usual omelette station, fruit, cereals etc. We ate lunch in the main Belle Vue restaurant, La Maree beach restaurant and once had a lunch snack in The Quarter Deck. The lunch menu could have been a bit more varied but as we only eat a small amount at lunchtimes it didn't bother us too much. We only ate in the Belle Vue restaurant in the evenings. We should have been entitled to a free dinner at La Maree restaurant one evening as we are Frequent Virgins but the concierge told us we had to have a membershp card each to be entitled to this and we were not prepared to pay theadditional amount for one of us. On checking with Virgin on my return I have been told that in fact only one Frequent Virgin card is issued per family so this may be a way of the hotel getting out of supplying meals in the a la carte restaurants. I did query this with the Virgin rep and she told me that she had emailed London but from her response I'm not convinced she actually did. We were not really that worried because the buffet in the evening and the food on the a la carte nights was very good. Not one upset stomach on this holiday so the food must have been well prepared.

There are plenty of sunbeds around the pool area and on the beach with lovely thick cushions which made them very comfortable. We didn't get up that early and found beds every day we were there but not always with a shade.

We like to have a walk and I was a bit concerned that we might be trapped in the bay but it was easy to wade across the creek, clamber over a few rocks and walk round to the next bays and get a look at what the other hotels/beaches looked like. The grounds are also lovely to walk round with the derelict fort, stables etc.

There are a lot of free activities included and regrettably we did not take advantage of these - we don't know where the week went. We went on the glass bottom boat trip, a short trip out but it wasn't that exciting. We also went on Virgin's speedboat into Port Louis, great fun and a lovely boat; just wish we could have come back by it and not the minibus. Port Louis is well worth a visit. The Port itself with its modern shops, restaurants etc and across the other side a different world with bustling market traders and also the opportunity to go into a Mosque. We also took a taxi to Grand Baie; bit of a waste of money really, but had to see what it was like. Nice bay but not a great deal there, but did manage to look inside a Tamil Temple. Was a bit disappointed we couldn't get to a bus stop easily to go on a local bus but it was just too far to walk to the nearest stop from the hotel.

We are really pleased we went All Inclusive because speaking to people who have gone to other hotels and stayed half board the extra costs for drinks and lunch put up the price of their holiday considerably and I know it would have been the same in the Maritim.

There was entertainment in the evenings, a couple of the bands were quite good but you never really expect a great deal from hotel entertainment.

Hope this review helps in some way. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me.

• Liked — Views, grounds, beach
  • Disliked — Outdated bathroom
2 Thank BAN49
UK
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Firstly have to mention how shocked I am at one of the previous reviews calling this resort a disgrace, based mainly on the fact they could not get 2 towels for themselves and also due to the pool having some cracks!! I think these people need to chill out!!

I myself could find very little fault with this place, from start to finish this was a fantastic holiday. Sometimes yes the service could be a little bit slow but you are holiday so relax a bit!!

I notice a previous reviewer mentioning stray cats and dogs. Yes there were a couple of dogs on the beach although I think we only saw them a few times and we spent every day on the beach. Ive seen many more stray animals in all the other places I have visited on my travels and I would never have even considered this a reason to fault this resort....

One of the highlights for me was the staff at this hotel. All so friendly and helpful. You felt these people really enjoyed there jobs and took pride in working at the resort. The place was spotlessly clean at all times and there was always someone somewhere cleaning!!

Food was excellent and I didnt find it at all repetative in the evenings. I cant remember one night being the same in the 2 weeks we were there. The only thing I would say is that if you are a fussy eater you may find the options quite limiting.

Along with the IA resturant there is also the option of a pay beach restaurant however as an AI guest you get approx a 20 GBP credit off the bill. We had a very romantic table set up on the beach and the food was absolutely superb as well as very reasonably priced. There is also the option of an indoor fine dining restuarant but we never tried this so I cannot comment but also the AI credit counted for this as well.

During the day we never had any problems getting a sun bed on the beach and free hire of snorkels, mask and fins each day was very good as there was some excellent corals all around the bay a short swim from the beach.

Evening entertainment was very good although a little bit 'samey' after a week.

The rooms were large and very well maintained. Spotlessly clean as was the whole resort.

Golf course was good although a little bit easy if you are a regular golfer.

In all I cant find much to complain about and would throughly recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing quiet holiday in a beautiful location.

If you see any low scored reviews on this place I would urge you to read the review because it will most likely be down to a very strange comical reason!!

• Liked — The staff and the food
  • Disliked — having to come home!!
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Excellent all round. Don't know why people moan - you should see some of the places that I have to stay in when on business! Some guy on here moaning that he didn't get 2 free towels for his lounger! Some people.

Rooms good. Not outstanding but clean and nicely done. All of them well located and no long walks anywhere.

Space very good. Nowhere got really busy. There were always spare loungers on the beach or in the gardens and often around the pools. And this when the hotel was apparently full.

Location very good. Beach one of the best for a Mauritius hotel. Port Louis and Grand Baie both within easy reach.

Food mostly good though buffet can get samey. But really not an issue. Free drinks on AI excellent. Can recommend the Creole Coffee and the Angel Lips!

Staff all excellent. Can't fault them.

Recommend?
Use a hotel scooter (around £12 per day) for trips within the north of the island. Much cheaper than a hire car (£40-50/day) and much more fun and convenient.
Grand Baie good for a meal out if you get bored with the hotel. Port Louis market and Chinatown fascinating. Leave the Caudan Waterfront development (westernised tourist trap).
A day at the races in Port Louis is a great experience (most Saturdays).
Try the horse-riding at the hotel. Not many do and its really easy.
Golf course excellent for novices and mostly empty.
If you do head south, find the harbourside restaurant at Souillac (just west of the village) and make the effort to find your way to the waterfalls nearby - much better than the ones the tourist trips take you on. The coloured sands aren't worth the effort! The Bois Cherie Tea Plantation most certainly is. Also, the Hindu holy lake at Grand Bassin is amazing.

• Liked — Location and quality of beach and gardens
  • Disliked — pool reaching the end of its life
3 Thank MrCabbage
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Just returned from Mauritius having spent 2 weeks all inclusive at the Maritim Hotel. What an experience the service was faultless the food great and the accommodation better than any 4 Star hotel I’ve ever stayed in before. The key to the success of this hotel is it staff not only are they attentive they are all so incredibly happy, why because they are treated well by their employers. This hotel will undergo a huge refurbishment in 2009 so it can only get better.
There was plenty to do at the hotel, which was situated in substantial grounds, and many of the activities are free.

• Liked — Spacious and Clean
  • Disliked — Can't fault it
  • Stayed November 2008
3 Thank toppoff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!