“Wonderful location, great range and quality of service”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We have just returned from 8 days at the Maritim and we were very impressed. The hotel is recently refurbished and the rooms are modern and well fitted out. The free standing tub and sliding screens instead of a wall round the bathroom made the rooms feel light and airy.
The All Inclusive provision was excellent although the watersport arrangements seemed a little adhoc - they closed the watersports early on several days without explanation and the tuition was patchy and frustrated my husband who is a regular waterskiier.
The buffet was fantastic and the quality and choice exceptional. The food was fresh and varied from meal to meal. On a couple of nights there was a set menu and table service which was four courses of exotically prepared and presented dishes. This was fine except the provision for children on these nights was not there. We had to insist on something more suitable for our son which they did provide but did not advertise.
The pool area was beautifully maintained and the loungers are large and comfortable. Our time at the pool was very relaxing, the pool is large and not too deep and our son spent many hours in the water. The bar service to the loungers was attentive and efficient.
If I had to criticise I would ask why they insist on your presentation of a guest card and require a signature on every "purchase" - for every bottle of water or drink you had to rummage around and produce a card (ours had to be replaced as it went in the pool in a pocket as it had to go everywhere with you) and wait for a bill to sign. Everyone is AI so why is this necessary? Wristbands would have been more appropriate and relaxing.
My other problem would have been about the room sizes. Our room wasn't huge and we were travelling with our 9 year old son. I requested on booking a room with 2 double beds to ensure that the room was designed for 3 occupants yet when we arrived we had a room with a queensize bed and then a put-you-up jammed in between the bedside cabinet and the balcony doors. This made the room cramped. Also why should I pay a full child occupancy rate for my son when he is not even given a proper bed? When I complained the receptionist said "well at least you have a big bed". Not really the point but this practice of allocating the smaller rooms to parents with only one child seems to be the norm rather than the exception. The kids club was unsuitable for our 9 year old as the average age seemed to be about 4 although the Sports Team arranged football matches for the older boys and their dads.
Some of the special things at the Maritim have to be the bar and the restaurant staff - all were friendly, efficient and learnt our names and favourite drinks. Also the giant tortoises were a delight, the security guard allowed my son into the enclosure to have his photo taken sitting astride one of these gentle giants. They were amazing. The grounds are beautiful and are perfect for a walk with lots of shady areas for a hot day.
We would definately go back and next time would sample the other restaurants and perhaps venture out of the resort. There was enough there to keep us entertained for 8 days and we did not feel we needed more.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank PBoroCrew
There are newer reviews for Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius

Reviewed 25 March 2010

A fabulous hotel (which has been totally renovated) in immaculate grounds and spotlessly clean. Friendly and helpful staff - nothing was too much trouble. On All-Inclusive, but food was fabulous - so much choice , of high quality, and no limit on food and drinks (including cocktails) from the wide choice available. Some food freshly cooked to order in front of you. Good entertainment in the evenings. Use of spa also included. Great big bedrooms (and bed) with wonderful bathroom. Excellent water sports/facilities available as well as riding (own stables).

Only bad thing was the weekend (which has been mentioned in a previous review) when obviously reduced rates are offered to entice "locals"? in - they took over the whole of the spa on the Saturday - it looked like a bomb had hit it - wet towels everywhere, no dry towels left, no room left to get in the jacuzzi, even if you had wanted to - no respect for the beauty and high standards of the hotel. Kids tended to take over the pool and Sunday morning Aqua Aerobics, with music blaring 1/2 hour before and after the class, gave the hotel a Butlins Holiday Camp feel and lost it's exclusivity feel. If you only want to stay a few days (like we did) I suggest staying Monday to Friday.

Otherwise I can't fault it and had a wonderful stay. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paradisebabe
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We have recently returned from our sixth visit to the Maritim Hotel. Our first visit was back around 1997 and we return about every 2 or3 years. Mauritius is a lovely island and we find the people to be very friendly. The staff at the Maritim are especially smiling, friendly and helpful and an asset to the hotel.

As you can imagine there have been many changes to the hotel since we first visited and it has undergone a major refit in 2009. We were very impressed with the improvements – the reception is light and airy and has great comfortable seating, the Belle Vue restaurant has been extended into what used to be the Mon Desir restaurant and the majority of the rooms have been revamped.

The Prestige Rooms were added in around 2000 and since that time we have always booked one of these rooms. One of the benefits was the ability to have breakfast in the a la carte beach restaurant La Maree. This year this benefit was removed and I can in part understand the reviewer who as a repeat guest was unhappy that this benefit was no longer available as it is very nice to have breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere overlooking the beach. I cannot comment on whether the Belle Vue breakfast is similar to Butlins as I myself have never been to Butlins. I would however have to dispute the fact that the staff at La Maree are nicer than the staff at the Bellevue as in my opinion ALL the staff at the Maritim are nice!

The extension to the Belle Vue is an improvement and has really opened out the food areas. There was a wide variety of food and I thought it was of a higher quality than previous years. We also love La Maree for an evening meal. You get an allowance of Rs400 per person towards the meal if you are on AI but you can have a starter, main course and coffee, together with local wine and bottled water, for approximately £30 extra for the 2 of us. Well worth it and you can ask for your table to be out on the sand and surrounded with candles for a nice romantic dinner.

The new Spa was excellent. The massages are not included in AI but the use of the large sauna, steam room and enormous Jacuzzi (more like a small swimming pool with bubbles!) is free to all guests and we were there most days to use the steam room and Jacuzzi after a strenuous day at the beach.

I can only comment on my experience so cannot comment on the gastroenteritis mentioned in previous reviews. It must have been dreadful for anyone affected. I also have no knowledge in six visits of waste water on the beach and found it a lovely walk to take. There are lots of birds, a couple of cats and I think I saw one dog on this occasion in or around the hotel but having stray animals around hotels is not unusual no matter where you are in the world.

There have been a couple of reviews complaining about the influx of local Mauritians into the hotel for weekend promotions. I think hotels worldwide are experiencing a downturn in business caused by the global recession but this is not a new phenomenon as the hotel has always offered promotions for local people at certain holidays like Chinese New Year or Mauritius Independence Day. I would rather the hotel use these promotions to survive the recession and still be in business when we return and therefore have no problem with 2-3 nights out of a 2 week holiday being busier than the rest of the time. If the pool is busy move to the beach.

I am a fan of this hotel bit it is by no means perfect. I had a fairly serious problem on my third visit and brought it to the attention of the management while we were there. Their response could not have been faulted and it was because of this we felt encouraged to return. Heading elsewhere next year but already looking forward to our next visit in 2012.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ola8
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Great hotel, great holiday, great service, great beach, great.... BUT frustratingly only one of the three restaurants is inluded in the "all inclusive". For the other two, the hotels offers all-inclusive visitors a miserly £8 per person discount off a bill that for dinner can easily exceed £25pp in the beach restaurant or more than £50pp in the smart "Chateau" restaurant (not worth the money). The buffet in the main restaurant is good but inevitably becomes monotonous every evening, and with the miserable discount regular eating in the other two soon pushes up the cost. And with a £20 return taxi ride to Port Louis (not worth the bother) or Grand Baye (much better), it's not as if there is much alternative for eating outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robinpellew
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We have just returned from the Maritim and my husband and I could not fault it.

Reception - on the day we arrived we were greeted with cold towels and a drink which were welcomed after a long flight. We were shown to comfy seats and the receptionist checked us in there. We were late for lunch but the staff were more than happy to accommodate us.

Staff - I have never met such friendly staff in all the stays I have had in hotels - they really could not do enough for you. They work really hard at keeping the resort clean and it is absolutely spotless.

Room - we had a standard room and were really impressed with it. We had a patio area that opened up into the garden with a sea view. The room was contemporary with a big bath tub almost in the center of the room. There were moveable screens so that the bath area could be roomed off. The bath was a really deep free standing bath with tap and shower head next to it. There was a double sink, walk in shower with two shower heads plus separate toilet. Fresh flowers were placed on one bedside table with other flowers by the bathroom sink, we also had a bowl of fruit. Everything worked in the room - I often find that there is a bulb out or the safe doesn't work. The attention to detail was good with an automatic light coming on in the wardrobe so you could see clearly together with plug in mosquito killer. Clean towels were brought in twice a day and there was a turn down service every evening where the bathroom was screened off and chocolates left on the pillow. While we were there it was Valentines Day and we were greeted with pink champagne at breakfast and a rose was left on the bed. It was also the Chinese New Year and further gifts were left in the room. All rooms have a mini bar but you will be charged for this even if on AI. The air conditioning in the room was really good and even though ours tripped out for some reason the maintenance men where there within 10 minutes despite the fact it was 11 o'clock at night.

Food - this was mainly buffet but in the 9 days we stayed here there was always something different to try and the food was of a high standard. I have never seen such an extensive choice for breakfast. The service was of a high standard and often the staff would carry your plate back to where you were sitting. We were all inclusive but the staff were never shy about replenishing drinks. The main restaurant has stunning views. We did try La Maree which is situated on the beach and this was a great setting. This is not included in the AI but we paid approximately £35 to eat there - you are given a small discount. There is a fine dining restaurant but at £100 per head we gave this a miss.

The hotel is situated in some beautiful grounds and there is an old French fort with waterfalls which was great to explore but make sure you use plenty of mosquito spray before visiting. The hotel also has some giant turtles.

There is a golf course and spa area but we did not use either of these.

The hotel was very quiet for our first week due to low occupancy which made it a very peaceful place to be. With the Chinese New Year and UK half term there were a lot more people about for our last few days but the service was still as good.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. If anyone has any questions that I haven't covered above then please e-mail me and I will do my best to answer them.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Everden99
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Remember that song out of the Footloose-Soundtrack in the 80ies? Came back yesterday from our honeymoon and it was for us exactely like I expected it to be, no to be honest, even better. The renewed hotel is almost paradis indeed!
Our room directy on the beach was gorgeous, it was raining a few days, so we had time to use the Spa, which is like a dream come true, but actually so is the whole resort with its gardens, plants, colours, smells, I could go on much more longer now....
And everything was surrounded by the always smiling staff, those people there are so friendly, we never saw an crabby face. This is something my husband and me recognized every day and want to point it out.
We had an almost perfect Candlelight dinner in I guess in of the most classy restaurants I've ever been to, the Mon Desir. The menu we had there was unexcelled, the set-up of the tables with the candleholders, Orchids, it was just marvellous!
It was a briliant trip which we will never forget, everything there was heavenly perfect, the beach, the gardens, the Spa, the food, the staff, congratulations to the management and to the team to deal with that big resort in such a smooth way. We never felt more comfortable and welcome in a hotel of this size!

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travelerlady19
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Stayed at the Maritim in January the food was very good plenty of choice for breakfast and dinner. The rooms were excellant with plenty of room, nice pools and friendly staff would stay there again

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank nads1985
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!