We have just returned from 8 days at the Maritim and we were very impressed. The hotel is recently refurbished and the rooms are modern and well fitted out. The free standing tub and sliding screens instead of a wall round the bathroom made the rooms feel light and airy.
The All Inclusive provision was excellent although the watersport arrangements seemed a little adhoc - they closed the watersports early on several days without explanation and the tuition was patchy and frustrated my husband who is a regular waterskiier.
The buffet was fantastic and the quality and choice exceptional. The food was fresh and varied from meal to meal. On a couple of nights there was a set menu and table service which was four courses of exotically prepared and presented dishes. This was fine except the provision for children on these nights was not there. We had to insist on something more suitable for our son which they did provide but did not advertise.
The pool area was beautifully maintained and the loungers are large and comfortable. Our time at the pool was very relaxing, the pool is large and not too deep and our son spent many hours in the water. The bar service to the loungers was attentive and efficient.
If I had to criticise I would ask why they insist on your presentation of a guest card and require a signature on every "purchase" - for every bottle of water or drink you had to rummage around and produce a card (ours had to be replaced as it went in the pool in a pocket as it had to go everywhere with you) and wait for a bill to sign. Everyone is AI so why is this necessary? Wristbands would have been more appropriate and relaxing.
My other problem would have been about the room sizes. Our room wasn't huge and we were travelling with our 9 year old son. I requested on booking a room with 2 double beds to ensure that the room was designed for 3 occupants yet when we arrived we had a room with a queensize bed and then a put-you-up jammed in between the bedside cabinet and the balcony doors. This made the room cramped. Also why should I pay a full child occupancy rate for my son when he is not even given a proper bed? When I complained the receptionist said "well at least you have a big bed". Not really the point but this practice of allocating the smaller rooms to parents with only one child seems to be the norm rather than the exception. The kids club was unsuitable for our 9 year old as the average age seemed to be about 4 although the Sports Team arranged football matches for the older boys and their dads.
Some of the special things at the Maritim have to be the bar and the restaurant staff - all were friendly, efficient and learnt our names and favourite drinks. Also the giant tortoises were a delight, the security guard allowed my son into the enclosure to have his photo taken sitting astride one of these gentle giants. They were amazing. The grounds are beautiful and are perfect for a walk with lots of shady areas for a hot day.
We would definately go back and next time would sample the other restaurants and perhaps venture out of the resort. There was enough there to keep us entertained for 8 days and we did not feel we needed more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Agoda, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava