“HOME”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 11 May 2010

It was one of the best hotels I met. The entire staff was fantastic, friendly and reliable. In particular the staff of the dive ... nice rooms, good beach, pool, good food ... it was like being at home

Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 April 2010

We spent a week at the Maritim in Nov 09, I thought long and hard about choosing this hotel as I knew it had just been refurbished and was worried that it wouldn’t be finished. Anyway – everything was completed with just a few finishing touched being done – negligible.
This is great hotel with fantastic service. The gardens, rooms and facilities are 5 star as is the service. We were on the all inclusive package which was pretty good – free flowing drinks with the staff eager to serve you. The initial room we were given was near a staff entrance and a little noisy – after the first night I asked to change rooms and we were given a much quieter room immediately.
• The main restaurant (Belle Vue) – very comprehensive breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets. There’s only so good a buffet can be but these ones were pretty much at the top of their game.
• La Maree beach restaurant – on AI there is a 400Rps credit to any meal you have here plus all of the drinks are still included. The food is excellent in this restaurant and well worth a little extra money. At lunch time the 400Rps will pretty much cover it. At dinner time you’re looking at about an extra £10-20 pp for 2 courses – obviously depending on what you eat.
• Mon Desir is the restaurant on the hill – we didn’t eat there as the menu didn’t really appeal to us however I heard it was very good. Again you get a 400Rps credit (about £8) but the drinks are not AI in this restaurant so I guess it could get pretty pricey.
• Dive centre was pretty well run. However if you’re really into diving I would highly recommend that you dive the Passe de Belle Mare on the east coast – a great dive with a lot of very large fish. We hired a car and went over to the Ambre Hotel on the East coast to do this dive with their dive centre – they were very good. We heard that there are also some good dives near Flic en Flac which the dive guy at Maritim will organise if there’s a few people.
• Lots of other activities (land and sea) were on offer and free – it was all very well run, definitely try the archery.
• Flights (since people on trip advisor always seem interested in this) – for complicated reasons I flew to Mauritius with Emirates and back to the UK with Air Mauritius. Emirates were disappointingly average considering their reputation, Air Mauritius were at least as good as Emirates. Fly direct if you can – it’s tedious changing and is often in the middle of the night.
We were very happy with our choice of the Maritim hotel (although I agree with a previous review that the evening entertainment is dire – a problem with all hotels of this ilk though I think). Since it’s renovation it is considered a 5 star hotel and definitely lived up to this (although certainly not in the luxury 5 star category).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RiyadhAlfi
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We have just returned from the maritim hotel and we were really pleased with it the hotel was not full we had two weeks of great wether no rain my nine year old son is quite a fussy eater and he managed to eat plenty the food is great plenty of choice and very good quality we did not use the other restaurants only the buffet they do omelettes fried eggs pancakes chocolate croissants for breakfast and chips real heinz tomato sauce pizza and many other things for lunch the desserts at lunch and evening are brill if you have fussy eaters then their will be plenty of things that they can eat my son survived on toast chocolate croissants chips desserts and sweetcorn (not the ideal diet) but for two weeks so what !!We took beach shoes but you do not need them in the shallow parts of the beach Jay on the beach was great he said the last incident with a stone fish was December 09 when we went snorkelling we did not see any and hardly wore our beach shoes at all The swimming pool is open untill 10pm every night nice and cool day and evening On the beach you get served drinks free all day and fresh fruit and cold flannels a real luxury We highly recommend the under sea walk costs about £25 it was great organised with Vic who comes around the beach with a speedboat we also saw Dolphins from the speed boat and went to the crocodile park quite good as far as mosquitos yes we all got a few bites but mainly when we went away from the hotel i found piriton the most use and we took jungle formula sprays if you want a completely relaxing clean great service then this is a great hotel the only downside we think is that the minibar in the room is not free and you only qualify for all inclusive from 2pm so if you arrive early you have to pay fro food and drinks before 2pm

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank greenhavenRutland
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We have just returned from 8 days at the Maritim and we were very impressed. The hotel is recently refurbished and the rooms are modern and well fitted out. The free standing tub and sliding screens instead of a wall round the bathroom made the rooms feel light and airy.
The All Inclusive provision was excellent although the watersport arrangements seemed a little adhoc - they closed the watersports early on several days without explanation and the tuition was patchy and frustrated my husband who is a regular waterskiier.
The buffet was fantastic and the quality and choice exceptional. The food was fresh and varied from meal to meal. On a couple of nights there was a set menu and table service which was four courses of exotically prepared and presented dishes. This was fine except the provision for children on these nights was not there. We had to insist on something more suitable for our son which they did provide but did not advertise.
The pool area was beautifully maintained and the loungers are large and comfortable. Our time at the pool was very relaxing, the pool is large and not too deep and our son spent many hours in the water. The bar service to the loungers was attentive and efficient.
If I had to criticise I would ask why they insist on your presentation of a guest card and require a signature on every "purchase" - for every bottle of water or drink you had to rummage around and produce a card (ours had to be replaced as it went in the pool in a pocket as it had to go everywhere with you) and wait for a bill to sign. Everyone is AI so why is this necessary? Wristbands would have been more appropriate and relaxing.
My other problem would have been about the room sizes. Our room wasn't huge and we were travelling with our 9 year old son. I requested on booking a room with 2 double beds to ensure that the room was designed for 3 occupants yet when we arrived we had a room with a queensize bed and then a put-you-up jammed in between the bedside cabinet and the balcony doors. This made the room cramped. Also why should I pay a full child occupancy rate for my son when he is not even given a proper bed? When I complained the receptionist said "well at least you have a big bed". Not really the point but this practice of allocating the smaller rooms to parents with only one child seems to be the norm rather than the exception. The kids club was unsuitable for our 9 year old as the average age seemed to be about 4 although the Sports Team arranged football matches for the older boys and their dads.
Some of the special things at the Maritim have to be the bar and the restaurant staff - all were friendly, efficient and learnt our names and favourite drinks. Also the giant tortoises were a delight, the security guard allowed my son into the enclosure to have his photo taken sitting astride one of these gentle giants. They were amazing. The grounds are beautiful and are perfect for a walk with lots of shady areas for a hot day.
We would definately go back and next time would sample the other restaurants and perhaps venture out of the resort. There was enough there to keep us entertained for 8 days and we did not feel we needed more.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank PBoroCrew
Reviewed 25 March 2010

A fabulous hotel (which has been totally renovated) in immaculate grounds and spotlessly clean. Friendly and helpful staff - nothing was too much trouble. On All-Inclusive, but food was fabulous - so much choice , of high quality, and no limit on food and drinks (including cocktails) from the wide choice available. Some food freshly cooked to order in front of you. Good entertainment in the evenings. Use of spa also included. Great big bedrooms (and bed) with wonderful bathroom. Excellent water sports/facilities available as well as riding (own stables).

Only bad thing was the weekend (which has been mentioned in a previous review) when obviously reduced rates are offered to entice "locals"? in - they took over the whole of the spa on the Saturday - it looked like a bomb had hit it - wet towels everywhere, no dry towels left, no room left to get in the jacuzzi, even if you had wanted to - no respect for the beauty and high standards of the hotel. Kids tended to take over the pool and Sunday morning Aqua Aerobics, with music blaring 1/2 hour before and after the class, gave the hotel a Butlins Holiday Camp feel and lost it's exclusivity feel. If you only want to stay a few days (like we did) I suggest staying Monday to Friday.

Otherwise I can't fault it and had a wonderful stay. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paradisebabe
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We have recently returned from our sixth visit to the Maritim Hotel. Our first visit was back around 1997 and we return about every 2 or3 years. Mauritius is a lovely island and we find the people to be very friendly. The staff at the Maritim are especially smiling, friendly and helpful and an asset to the hotel.

As you can imagine there have been many changes to the hotel since we first visited and it has undergone a major refit in 2009. We were very impressed with the improvements – the reception is light and airy and has great comfortable seating, the Belle Vue restaurant has been extended into what used to be the Mon Desir restaurant and the majority of the rooms have been revamped.

The Prestige Rooms were added in around 2000 and since that time we have always booked one of these rooms. One of the benefits was the ability to have breakfast in the a la carte beach restaurant La Maree. This year this benefit was removed and I can in part understand the reviewer who as a repeat guest was unhappy that this benefit was no longer available as it is very nice to have breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere overlooking the beach. I cannot comment on whether the Belle Vue breakfast is similar to Butlins as I myself have never been to Butlins. I would however have to dispute the fact that the staff at La Maree are nicer than the staff at the Bellevue as in my opinion ALL the staff at the Maritim are nice!

The extension to the Belle Vue is an improvement and has really opened out the food areas. There was a wide variety of food and I thought it was of a higher quality than previous years. We also love La Maree for an evening meal. You get an allowance of Rs400 per person towards the meal if you are on AI but you can have a starter, main course and coffee, together with local wine and bottled water, for approximately £30 extra for the 2 of us. Well worth it and you can ask for your table to be out on the sand and surrounded with candles for a nice romantic dinner.

The new Spa was excellent. The massages are not included in AI but the use of the large sauna, steam room and enormous Jacuzzi (more like a small swimming pool with bubbles!) is free to all guests and we were there most days to use the steam room and Jacuzzi after a strenuous day at the beach.

I can only comment on my experience so cannot comment on the gastroenteritis mentioned in previous reviews. It must have been dreadful for anyone affected. I also have no knowledge in six visits of waste water on the beach and found it a lovely walk to take. There are lots of birds, a couple of cats and I think I saw one dog on this occasion in or around the hotel but having stray animals around hotels is not unusual no matter where you are in the world.

There have been a couple of reviews complaining about the influx of local Mauritians into the hotel for weekend promotions. I think hotels worldwide are experiencing a downturn in business caused by the global recession but this is not a new phenomenon as the hotel has always offered promotions for local people at certain holidays like Chinese New Year or Mauritius Independence Day. I would rather the hotel use these promotions to survive the recession and still be in business when we return and therefore have no problem with 2-3 nights out of a 2 week holiday being busier than the rest of the time. If the pool is busy move to the beach.

I am a fan of this hotel bit it is by no means perfect. I had a fairly serious problem on my third visit and brought it to the attention of the management while we were there. Their response could not have been faulted and it was because of this we felt encouraged to return. Heading elsewhere next year but already looking forward to our next visit in 2012.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ola8
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Great hotel, great holiday, great service, great beach, great.... BUT frustratingly only one of the three restaurants is inluded in the "all inclusive". For the other two, the hotels offers all-inclusive visitors a miserly £8 per person discount off a bill that for dinner can easily exceed £25pp in the beach restaurant or more than £50pp in the smart "Chateau" restaurant (not worth the money). The buffet in the main restaurant is good but inevitably becomes monotonous every evening, and with the miserable discount regular eating in the other two soon pushes up the cost. And with a £20 return taxi ride to Port Louis (not worth the bother) or Grand Baye (much better), it's not as if there is much alternative for eating outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robinpellew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!