“Good hotel but!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
London
“Good hotel but!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2008

We were away from the 24th December for 11 nights, myself, my wife and 12 year old son. Let me first of all clear something up. The airport is very close, there are approximately 15 departing flights a day, this will increase in future years, and the flight path for departing aircraft is directly over the hotel. Good fun if you like planes, a little off putting if you don't BUT once you accept all that, it does not affect your stay, it is something you just accept and get used to. Flights take off from about 7.30 am, and there is a lull for a few hours in the afternoon.There is also an added advantage, the transfer from the airport is just 10 minutes, very useful after a long flight.
This was our second year to Mauritius having previously stayed at another Beachcomer property, Le Victoria which is in the far north west of the island. The south is undoubtedly cooler, there was a breeze on most days but it is also cloudier, a little frustrating if you just love lying in the sun to cloudless blue skies. We stayed on the Serenity package which is exactly as it says, totally all inclusive, my extra's bill was zero and that was a first!! If you are a big drinker you will save money, if you are not, like us, it's expensive BUT very convenient with nothing to sign for. Every drink is included from champagne, to wine, to bottled water + all your food, ice creams and even your mini bar. My wife and I even had a massage as part of the package. There are 4 restaurants on the complex with an emphasis on sea food. We ate most night's in the buffet although broke this up (you do appreciate waiter service after a while) with 3 visits to the Italian restaurant, although we were a little disappointed that the menu did not alter at all during our stay. The buffet is on the whole quite good, with plenty of choice although it was a little frustrating to find every now again that a dish you saw on your first visit had run out by the time you were ready for the main course. Service also varied considerably although special mention must be made of Ved who manages the buffet restaurant, and a very useful person to get to know. He was magnificent, always willing to assist us in getting a table at a preferred spot and it was noticeable that the days he was off, the service was not as good. New Years Eve was wonderful, a band, followed by a disco playing outside actually on a stage set up on the pool and there were fireworks on the beach.
Our son made friends after a couple of days and it is no exageration to say we hardly saw him after that. He was either kayaking, sailing, playing golf or swimming and he had a great time. For younger children, there appeared to be a good kids club but the older one's amused themselves. The resort is very safe and although huge, 3 beaches in total, you never feel that anything can happen and it is very safe, with noticeable security and people always keeping a look out. Another nice touch is the men who go round all day in buggies with plenty of cold drinks and food available from the buggy.
A must do is a boat trip with Wesley. I think he has been mentioned in a previous review but if you want an unforgettable day out, then Wesley is your man although if for any reason he is not available, Jay would be a more than a suitable replacement. We spent 4.5 hours on Wesley's speedboat, snorkeled at 2 different places, visited and jumped off the waterfalls and had the most wonderful Bar B Q on paradise Island. No better name for what truly is a paradise island. Wesley literally set up a table on the beach, under a palm tree and lunch was served to us with the view being the Indian Ocean. Truly magical.
The guys on the beach are great fun and go by such names as John Wayne, Del Boy and Ronaldinho, you couldn't make it up!! They were all charming and once they knew you weren't interested, on the whole they left you alone.
So far so good, but here comes the negative. For what we paid, the least we expected was a good size room (we were spoilt at the Le Victoria) and were very disappointed with our standard room. Decor wise it was ok, but it was small and with an open bathroom there was no getting away from the constant noise a 12 year old makes, being singing or just the TV. If you take a child with you, ask for one of the 6 family rooms which are on the ground floor and provided considerably more space than we had. The main family rooms are quite some way away from the main building but apparently quite nice but very, very pricey. The grounds are somewhat unkept and generally quite untidy although admittedly it is a huge resort to take care of. Although on the whole the service was ok, for a so called 5 star resort (in my opinion it is at best a good 4 star), it should be better with Ved and Vishal being notable exceptions.
Would I return, unlikely. Did we enjoy it, yes and we ceratinly relaxed. Mauritius is getting ever more expensive especially if you have to travel as I do over the Xmas and New Year period and as I said earlier although the "All inclusive" concept is a good one, staying half board and then you pay for your drinks can be better value option.

Stayed January 2008
8 Thank Simon22London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2007

We have recently come home from a lovely holiday at the Shandrani in Mauritius. On arrival the initial response was 'WOW'! The reception is beautiful, looking over the pool and across to the bay - really stunning. We had read reviews on travel advisor prior to travelling, and they all seemed very positive, so we knew we were in for a treat. Yes, it is quite close to the airport - a real bonus after such a long flight, but the runway isn't really as close to the hotel as some people seemed to think on the reviews. Admittedly there is noise from planes as they fly over, but it really didnt bother us - its nice to know you are staying on the beautiful sunny beach while those poor devils are flying home! There are not that many flights each day, but they do start early-ish and go on intermittently until around 11.30pm. The hotel is extrememly popular with South Africans as it is not too far for them to come for a few days break - so there were a couple of larger slightly rowdy groups. There was also quite a surprising number of children at the hotel - which in some cases could be a little irritating when you are trying to enjoy a quiet romantic meal. The food was superb - whether in the large buffet restaurant, or one of the other 3 a -la -carte restaurants. One of the restaurants is adults-only - but still quite close to the buffet - although we didnt notice any noise from children. The two pools are lovely - the infintiy pool at the far end of the beach seemed less busy, but we only tried it once as we had found a lovely secluded little section of beach with only a few people each day. The beautiful clear shallow water of the Indian Ocean was hard to resist! Service is superb - with beach bars travelling around to cater to your thirst. Surprisingly there was no 'library' as we have found in other destinations (where guests leave their old books for the enjoyment of others). We didn't take enough with us, so ended up buying a couple of rather expensive paperbacks in the hotel shop. Snorkelling equipment was not available for personal use without joining a snorkelling group, so again - if you want to go off on your own, consider purchasing some gear before you go. At busier times it is well worth booking your tables at the a la carte restaurants in advance - we were told that we were only allowed to go to the Boucanier once (having booked it twice, and tried once again as it was so nice) but I think this was just because it was so busy. We certainly hadnt been told of any restrictions to the restaurants on arrival. Overall, a really lovely holiday - although in future we would only consider adults-only resorts, purely for the extra romance value, and a bit more peace and quiet!

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and surroundings. Great views.
  • Disliked — Difficulty getting wine in the room.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank niknak1970
Gauteng
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

We had a wonderful two week holiday at the Shandrani. Last year we went to La Pirogue and enjoyed it very much. At first we were scared it will not as enjoyable as at La Pirogue, but in fact it was better for my 3 teen boys with the variety in watersport.

I have enjoyed the scuba diving the most because of the wonderful team that were so patient and helpful with me as a first timer. Many thanks to John and Christophe, Corinne, Sailesh, Antonio, and Lionel. They were the friendliest people at Shandrani. I did not have a good scuba diving teaching experience at La Pirogue last year. But at Shandrani I found the team much more helpful and experienced. My second best experience was the salon treatment part of the Serenity package.

The variety at Sandrani is better than La Pirogue. However, La Pirogue's beach with sunsets is better and La Pirogue's food is better. Shandrani has 3 beaches and a bigger swimming area in the sea.

The rooms are bigger, the only problem is when two people sharing and want some privacy in the bathrooms it could be a problem..

• Liked — big rooms and best scuba diving team
  • Disliked — no privacy in bathrooms and staff at check in
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Womanathome
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

I have been meaning to write a review for some time and hope that by doing so it will help you decide whether or not to stay here. I travelled there in November for my 40th Birthday with my wife and 3 young boys aged 8, 5 and 2. On entering the hotel reception you go WOW and drop your bags to take a photo of the view before you even check in! Our room was big and overlooked beautiful lawns and one of the 3 different beaches the Shandrani has. The only fault with our room was that there were tiny gaps in the windows when they were closed which allowed lizards get in which was a little unsettling at first but we soon got used to them. The hotel offered to spray and kill them which my kids were horrified with. They became our pets!! Dont let this put you off, we were probably just unlucky with our room windows.
The 3 different beaches are fantastic. One is a coral lagoon which is nice to look at but no use for swimming. The second one is wild and very wavy and great fun with a beautiful white sandy beach. The third looks man made but is also glorious and the one we spent most of our time at because it was beside the main part of the hotel and restaurants, bars and sailing centre. Make sure you bring swimming shoes or you wont be able to comfortably swim in 2 of the 3 beaches.
Restaurants are glorious and the food is top class. When you book make sure you go all inclusive as it is really worth it. We all ate and drank like kings! There are some restaurants not included in the all inclusive, my advice is dont bother with them as there really is no need as the others are really top class.
We used the kids club only for an hour or two each day because it was empty except for the lovely staff. I dont think you should travel that far with your kids and then lock them up in a room all day. In the morning the kids club would bring them out searching for shells, swimming, water skiing etc. After these events were over we took the kids back. The tennis courts are fantastic and I took the kids there. Thet also had golf lessons provided by the kids club. We had a great babysitter called Naila and she was a gem! We used her in the evening while we used the restaurants within the hotel. All staff we really fantastic.
My wife had a massage on the last day (luckily) by a male massuse and she says it was fantastic, so much so that she felt as if she had been unfaithful !!! Watch out men !!
We never travelled to Port Louis but did hire a little minibus as there were 5 of us. We travelled to the sights on the sothern half of the island but wouldn't bother if we travelled there again. Mauritius isn't the nicest of islands outside our hotel complex. It has a rugged beauty which just needs to be polished up and made more tourist friendly. It is a poor island and evidence of that is there for all to see. The hotel was so nice and luxurious we wouldn't see why we should leave it anyway.
My only BIG gripe and complaint I had with the hotel was that after spending 2 weeks there with a family of 5 was that when I went to check out and pay the big bill for the extras we had the receptionist never had the courtesy to ask us had we enjoyed our stay and hope that we will be back again or indeed wish us a safe flight. There wasn't even a thank you. She took our money as if I had asked for change for a cigarette machine !! Very very surprised at her, she was rude and it was the only time that any of the staff let them down.
I nearly forgot to mention the nearby airport !!!!! When we were checking in an aircraft was taking off and I thought it was the space shuttle it was so loud!! I nearly fell off my seat at first. It wouldn't bother me though and was a pleasant diversion seeing the occasional aircraft take off, the kids LOVED it. Go there, you wont regret it.

Stayed November 2005, travelled with family
11 Thank DKV3
manchester uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2007

We returned from our stay on 21 November. The Shandrani was not our first choice of hotel in fact 4 other hotels we chose were all full. I had originally discounted the Shandrani after reading the reports of aircraft noise, I'm so glad we didn't let this put us off as we had a wonderful holiday. The good points I would have made have all been made and quite honestly I don't have anything negative to report.
I would strongly suggest you make your booking for the seafood restaurant soon after your arrival, it's wonderful and if you only have a week you may be disappointed to find the restaurant fully booked. Sirius is excellent but is bigger so not so difficult to reserve a table.
With regards to the birds flying around at the buffet there is little that can be done and in my opinion if restaurants use netting the birds find a way in and it's far worse when they are enclosed. I have seen worse than the few birds at the Shandrani buffet.
If you would lke to learn to sail you will need about 3 or 4 lessons before you are allowed to take the Hobie Cat out alone (I think the cost was about £6 per person per lesson). Again, book your lessons when you arrive to avoid disappointment.
Nothing we asked for was too much trouble. We requested an Iron and some fresh milk for our room to make tea both of which arrived within 10 minutes - and this is a big complex.
With regards to transport we were charged 500rps for our taxi from the airport to the hotel. Our return journey was only 300rps in a hotel taxi. There is a list of taxi prices on the counter at reception, we only ventured out to the next village on market day which was 700rps return.
This a wonderful hotel we enjoyed every minute. The people are so friendly, the weather was perfect and the food and service couldn't have been better.
Oh and I think it's compulsary for all couples to hold hands when walking around the complex as everyone does - fantastic!

• Stayed November 2007
8 Thank flyingirl
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

We have just returned from a fortnight at the Shandrani for our honeymoon and can't fault the place. In this review we will be frank and honest giving the good and the not so good but I hope overall it highlights the good!

We arrived to be greeted by a team at reception and taken to a beautiful seated area with incense burning and gorgeous floral displays. Here we were offered drinks and after completing a check in form, we were taken to our deluxe room in a golf buggy by the hotel porter.

The rooms are spacious with sofa, table, massive bed and the bathrooms were large with double sink and a big power shower. There's also a walk in wardrobe with safe and a mini bar. Very good aircon too and british plug sockets so no need to take adaptors!

To the back of our room we had a terrace which stepped out onto the Blue Bay lagoon beach with amazing views and it was very relaxing with only the noise of the birds, quite tranquil.... that was until you got the boat tour touts in their speedboats with sound systems. It is unfortunately something the hotel can do nothing about. They will try to sell you boat tours but just stand firm and they leave you alone. It is cheaper to do the tour via the hotel and you are better covered.

To the front of our room we had the Wild Beach, a stunning beach with beautiful views and surrounded by the hotel's golf course. the tour touts do come here but minus their boats.

Be advised with the tour touts come jewellery sellers too. Just stand firm. It annoyed us at first until we discovered we could sit at the pool area or on the grass by the beach where they couldn't come.

The hotel itself has a main buffet restaurant that overlooks the main pool. The food is good offering everything from fish, salads, soups, pasta, noodles, pizza etc but can be hit and mis and you could get fed up esily. We preferred the other restaurants as you get a very nice menu and of course a longer evening and more complete service.

The Sirius restaurant is at the far end of the resort (near or apartment) and has a bar. It is quiet up this end of the resort on an evening but equally as stunning. We had an excellent first meal in Sirius but remaining meals were a little hit and miss in comparison (uncooked food and fatty beef but I think this was just unfortunate as our first meal had been perfect. So still on the whole good. Try the giant scampi! I won't say anything to as not spoil but wow!

The Boucannier restaurant is behind the main restaurant and is very good. It's known for it's seafood but all the restaurants have a wealth of seafood on offer. The service was fantastic and food divine. I tried quite a few dishes over the two weeks and the seafood BBQ was quite a novelty.

Porto Veccio restaurant - known as The Italian to residents. Situated by the main pool and next to the hotel bar. Gorgeous setting, great service and great food.

The hotel does cater for corporate functions and whilst we were there Coca Cola did take over Sirius restaurant for three nights at the beginning of our stay, which meant it was very hard to get into the other restaurants. We therefore booked our meals ahead for our stay to ensure we could get our preferred choices. We did hear other couples had trouble when they hadn't booked ahead but our actions ensured we were fine.

The Pool Bar is great, we spent most evening's here. The ambience is lovely and there's nightly entertainment. Plus the staff were fabulous, they got to know us personally and the service was fantastic. They really really made our honeymoon and all personally came to say bye to us on our last day, which was really really nice. They serve drinks round the pool all day and come to take your drinks at your lounger and bring you fruit.

The main pool surprisingly didn't get overly busy and we always got sunbeds.

The fully inclusive package is fabulous, people said it was the best all inclusive they had ever ever come across. ALL drinks, international and local included. French champagne on tap by the glass. NOTE: Don't agree to a bottle of champagne, for some reason this is charged for and not cheap! Champagne in Mauritius is very very expensive! With meals you also get a choice of a range of international wines from Australian Chardonnay's to Italian Pinot's.

The mini bar in the room is stocked daily and has numerous bottle of water, lager, orangina, coke, fruit juice and wine, as well as peanuts, pringles, sweets and pretzels.

All watersports are included apart from scuba diving and sailing lessons (unless you are already qualified then it is free.) A boat goes out daily to the reef in blue bay and you can snorkle for 45 mins. Two trips, one at 11am and one at 1pm. You need to call and book that morning. They provide equipment. Also included is waterskiing, windsurfing and pedalo's / kayaks.

We did get a free massage each as part of the package too, the spa is lovely but prices just same as in UK for all other treatments.

We did have a candelit meal on the beach during our stay which was lovely. It did cost extra, around £60 but was lovely and the waiter even brought us a half bottle of champagne free We did have an effort booking this though with the hotel being busy with weddings and corporate functions so we'd advise booking before arrival or early in stay.

We did a catamaran trip to Il Ceuf (apologies if spelt incorrectly) The travel company based in the hotel arranged this and they are in the basement part of the hotel daily. They provide info on arrival and can cater trips to meet your demand. The Catamaran was really good, we were picked up by speedboat at 9am and taken round the headland to meet the Catamaran. We got food and drink on the boat but everything else was extra while at the Island which we hadn't realised and we had no money. We were only there a couple of hours anyway and had taken our own water so it wasn't too much trouble but we could have paraglided and bought souveniers etc. On the way back most people who'd been on our boat were from the north so got a seperate boat back which meant we largely had the Catamaran to ourselves!

The ambience in the hotel is lovely. Everywhere has incense lit, giving off a lovely aroma and on an evening the whole reception, pool and bar areas are candlelit. The toilets even have a mini garden inside!!! The hotel grounds are beautifully kept and the wildlife you can see is incredible. We sat and watched gecko's and fruit bats on an evening on our terrace, while during the day the birds and marine life provided plenty of entertainment. During our candlelit dinner we even saw shoals of fish in the bay and crabs on the beach. The staff can't do enough for you and you're not even allowed to pour your own drinks! Trust me they soon come running to stop you if you even attempt!

People have mentioned two points, the birds at breakfast and the planes. On this point. The birds do fly into the restarants all day but the whole place is open to the elements so it can only be expected and what steps can be taken to stop it I really don't know. If you get pooed on (as I did!!!!) then you can count it as unlucky or lucky however you may see it!!!! Regarding the planes yes the Shandrani is right at the end of the runway and yes you did get substantial noise from the planes. There are several taking off daily, probably one plane an hour on average, sometimes more sometimes less, but it didn't bother us either. The pic someone put on here of the runway isn't a lie as someone else put it (it has been zoomed in) I can assure you that's about what you see from the pool! see our pic.

The corporate functions and business meetings taking place in the public areas means Shandrani doesn't have an exclusive honeymoon feel. Also, there's no petals on the beds or in the baths etc, nor are there beautiful and artistically folded towels in the rooms. However this didn't bother us as the staff were just fabulous and did everything they could to make your stay as good as they could and this counted to us more.

The hotel is also quite family friendly and there were a fair few young childen while we were there. Again it didn't bother us as we felt it added character watching them having fun and learning to swim. You weren't interrupted by them on an evening as their parents generally had them in bed or they were very well behaved.

All in all the Shandrani to us was fantastic. We would without a doubt go back!

• Liked — The surroundings, staff, food and service in general.
  • Disliked — not much to be honest, if anything would have liked to have had special honeymoon touches.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank UK_Honeymooners
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2007

We bought a package from swedish operator Fritidsresor, all inclusive and airfare, staying at Shandrani for 7 nights. We are a family of three, and found a hotel located not only on the beach and on nice surroundings but actually on the stairway to four 5-star restaurants. Staff, location, food, and rooms are all great and children loved the place. This is really value for money, and we are sure we will return as soon as possible.

Stayed November 2007
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,244 reviews
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,278 reviews
Constance Le Prince Maurice
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,181 reviews
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!