“Our Wedding Trip”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
Henlow, United Kingdom
“Our Wedding Trip”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Shandrani as a group of 12 (9 adults, 1 teenager & 2 children) from 10th to 17th April 2014 to celebrate our wedding.

We were met at the airport by the rep as we came through the door, my husband and I had a private transfer while everyone else has a small coach.....for the 10 min drive to the hotel. The staff were very helpful, dealing with our luggage and check-in, very fast and efficient (considering we arrived about 11am, before check-in time, all but one couples room was ready perfect).

Being the couple who were getting married we met with Sandrine the next day who was very efficient organizing every aspect of our wedding for us. We had a fantastic driver Polo who took us to Port Louis for the formalities and was kind enough to allow my parents to come with us so they could see the Capital too.

The wedding day itself was perfect Pricilla in the Salon did my hair & nails perfectly (I was amazed how quickly my hair went up she made it look so easy!). Rajesh (the hotel photographer) was also brilliant making sure we had all those important shots with family and friends together with some silly ones (we don't do sensible!) It was so hot and sunny he did so well. Sandrine had organised a beautiful 3 course meal in Le Sirius restaurant with Champagne for lunch for all 12 of us which was brilliant! We cooled off in the pool in the afternoon & in the evening one of the restaurant organisation mangers (who's name escapes me) organised a wonder round table in the Porto Vecio restaurant for our evening meal and decorated it with our flowers from the ceremony. A day thoroughly enjoyed by all, thank you/

Just a couple of points to make.......yes the hotel is very near the airport you WILL see the planes taking off.......if this at all bothers you then I wouldn't recommend you stay here or ask for a room close to Le Sirius & Teak Elephant resturant (these are further away from the airport). However the air traffic is not like London I would estimate approx 10-20 planes a day and they are during waking hours (earliest i noticed 8am ish & latest 11pm ish).

Something else worth mentioning is the restaurant booking system which in my view doesn't work well. On our first full day we approached the booking desk and was told that we couldn't book any restaurants (that would cater for 12) as they were all fully booked, I was absolutely astounded! When I questioned how this is possible I was told that people booked up to 2 weeks in advance!!!!! Great I thought...very fair!!!!not! Later we decided to book in smaller parties so my parents were lucky enough to get into the fish restaurant by going as a couple (but they had to wait nearly until the end of the week for this!), no one else managed to get in anywhere. So unfortunately we didn't get to try any other restaurants while we were there which was a shame. We do like to sit down and be served our food so having to eat in the buffet nearly every night didn't exactly fill us with joy........in my opinion the a la carte restaurants are certainly a better standard than the buffet (based on parents view, wedding day/night meal & lunches)

We traveled in the Easter holidays so was quite worried about the amount of children. There were children, but unlike other all-inclusive hotels we had been too you didn't feel like you were on top of everyone else so the noise level was more than acceptable & we didn't encounter any loud families the entire time we were there.

We would love to return to Mauritius and wouldn't hesitate to come to this hotel again..

Room Tip: we stayed in room 201 & 202 which was on the ground floor and faced a small beach with only a ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We first visited the Shandrani a couple of years ago and couldn't fault the hotel, staff, service and the beautiful location so when we decided to get married it was definitely on our short list of places to hold the wedding. It was back in October 2013 when I first contacted the hotel to book our stay and the wedding. From the moment I contacted them they were so helpful and quick to answer any questions we had. We arrived at the hotel on the 5th April and got married on the 8th so the first few days were busy arranging the paperwork in Port Louis, meeting the wedding coordinator, Shandrine, who was amazing! She talked us through how the day would be planned out, gave us options on where to get married, pick what flowers we wanted and what we would like to do for the evening meal. She was so organised and calm that it made me feel so much more relaxed than I thought I would be. She assured us we had nothing to worry about and to enjoy the day, which she had totally under control. The day started very cloudy and the rain lasted until a few hours before the wedding but thankfully the sun came out for us so we still got the beach wedding we wanted. The ladies in the salon who did the hair and make up did a great job and recreated the hairstyles from pictures my bridesmaid and I took with us. The flowers were beautiful, as was the setting on the beach. There were only a few of us and it felt very relaxed which was exactly what we wanted. After the wedding we did the toast and did some photos with the photographer which I booked separately from the hotel (Jean Garrett). In the evening we had a private BBQ on the beach which was a perfect way to end the day. We had a decimated chef and waiter who took great care ensuring we have a wonderful evening. We truly could not have asked for more, everyone at the Shandrani who was involved in our wedding was fantastic. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone wanting a beach wedding.
As I mentioned this was our second trip to the Shandrani and the staff, service and restaurants all remain excellent. Although an all inclusive resort you do feel like there is variety due to the different dining options. There are also a couple of bars and swimming pools so you can have a change of scenery. The resort was almost at full capacity during our stay and although al a carte restaurants were booked up quickly the resort never felt too busy or crowded.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were staying on an all inclusive package. We arrived on the early 05:30 BA flight from Gatwick and expected to have to wait until our room was ready, but no, we were received warmly taken to our room given a refreshing drink and the formalities completed (by now it's not even 7:00), breakfast was being served and we were asked if we would like to have breakfast (which we did by the pool). we then booked into the restaurant where we wanted to dine that evening.
Our room was a good size and well presented, the mini bar stocked with water beer and soft drinks.
All the staff were excellent the choice of food and drink very good, including branded spirits and quality wine list, they even arranged a candlelit dinner on the beach one evening for my wife and I at no extra charge (although I don't know whether this was something they do as a matter of course on request or for Kenward Travel clients, who arranged our booking, in particular). There are lots of facilities sailing, water skiing, kayaks, tennis golf all are free on our package, the only thing you had to pay for was sailing and scuba diving lessons.
The resort is close to the airport but as its not busy it is not a problem and its handy if you are on the 08:00 BA flight home.
The only reason they don't get 5 out of 5 is that there are 5 restaurants on the site 1 is a buffet and 4 a la carte. The buffet understandably attracts families with children as there is a good choice of food even for the most fussy of children, and even though they do cook some of the food constantly as with all buffets there will inevitably be food that's been hanging around for a while and its not particularly hot, so its OK but not somewhere I would choose to eat. The a la carte restaurants serve excellent food, with good wine, ambiance and service and were definitely our first choice. However; if you want to dine a la carte, you need to book for the following evening i.e. book Thursday for Friday. If you don't you end up at the buffet. The other problem is that there seems to be an "unadvertised/official" restriction on the number of times you can use the a la carte restaurants. The day before we left I tried to book a restaurant for the last evening and was told they were "fully booked" and that anyway "I had been to a la carte for 5 of the seven nights". On the last night there was room in a number of restaurants so I don't believe capacity was the reason. I spoke to another couple and they said they had a similar experience. Now I don't mind being told what the deal is or being told what the restrictions are up front, but I don't like being lied to. This resort is not cheap and if there are restrictions you should know up front then you can decide what you want to do.
In summary one of the nicest places I've ever stayed spoiled by the issue over a la carte dining availability.

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have fenced areas off the patio, handy if you have young children as they op...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simon C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We just got back from our honeymoon in Shandrani hotel and i have to say that me and my husband are really picky and uneasy to satisfy or be impressed, but we were extremely impressed with this hotel as it was extremely organised and we were happy with everything.

to start off with this resort has something for everyone, lots of customers in this hotels were family with kids but all very polite and they are minding their own business that didnt bother us as we were happy to see those joyful kids and families, it created a kind of happy place atmosphere for us as there is the chance to be romantic and intimate in many places in the hotel ...

my advise when you first come in the first thing you do is go reserve the restaurants and they will plan everything for you for the whole time of your stay and they gave us the schedule which was great ...

we had the chance to eat in all restaurants of the hotel all were great some have set menu which is perfect as you dont have to choose. I have to say their food is great and its so good ....

------

a MUST DO activities that you can NOT miss

the hotel provides a speed boat for a whole day with a group that cost about 250 usd $ per couple and it is a must they take you to so many places and amazing light house island which YOU SERIOUSLY DONT WANT TO MISS ... take my word you need to take this trip ... there were other boats outside that provided this in a cheaper price but we preferred to go with the hotel it was well organised and we were extremely happy with it ....

you have to go to

Trou aux cerf - basically its a top of a dormant volcano the view is breath taking

Chamarel - that has the waterfalls and the 7 coloured earth

these places were breath taking they made my heart stop ... the hotel offered to take us there and pay around 6,000 rupees ... but instead we rented a car with no GPS and drove to these places basically by buffering an offline map into my iphone and followed the roads logically and stopped to ask few people it was MORE fun than having a driver we stopped whenever we wanted and it was a lovely adventure for us.

the things that we disliked were that the coffee was terrible and we are coffee addicts

-----

The most negative thing that affected our experience was the gift shop that the hotel had the staff all of them were so rude to us for some reason ( the ones only working in the shop near reception) ... we bought about 10 items some things were fragile and they stuffed them all in one tiny bag so i asked for another bag and they refused to give me another one even though it is just a plastic bag nothing special about it and we bought things for around 70 $ my husband wanted to leave everything and he didnt want to buy anything after this but when they felt that we are angry they gave us another bag. a 5 stars hotel should not provide such service to us especially when are not asking for anything it is our right to have a bag for our stuff .... so i dont advise anyone to buy from the shop ( really bad service and bad quality one of the boxes i bought is broken since i bought it but the girls at the reception deceived me and didnt tell me about it i saw them whispering but thought it wasnt about me but it was ).. after buying these things we went straight to the beach to buy souvenirs from the men selling stuff and apparently they sell things cheaper than the hotel ALSO cheaper than the Mauritian capital Saint Louis with beautiful quality ... we bought stuff from guy called TOTO he was absolutely amazing and the stuff i bought were amazing ... you wont find any souvenirs from the airport so buy them from the guys on the beach ... its cheap and beautiful quality.

everyone speaks english and french when you leave the hotel everyone speaks french my husband speaks french so we did not face any communication problem ...

if anyone needs more information im willing to have a chat to help out ..

over all it was a magical experience i would recommend people to go there and if i had the chance i ll go back again ... i had a WONDERFUL honeymoon ... so thank you Shandrani and your nice amazing helpful staff for making me have a nice honeymoon....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Welcome was ok . . Nothing special. The room did not have the normal bottled water ( this should not be stocked like mini bar drinks ) .. , There was no shower cap , No Vanity set , No iron box etc .. The small extras that makes a hotel 5 star! I know you can call to request for all these but from experience, the above are what makes a 5 star room. Comfort.
The bathroom tap was not clean and the room smelt of dumpness. . Just unpleasant!
The staff at the dinner place looked bored and he was not pleasant at all.

POSITIVES : The food was ok , the pool and ambience.

Overall, They should improve all round.

My partner and I travel alot and this Hotel goes to our 'NO 2ND TRIP!!!'

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lillyane N
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

In february, me and my family traveled again in Mauritius. Like every time, Shandrani was the last stop, because he is so close to the airport!

Shandrani is amazing! That's a fact! I just want to say a big thank you for Prem, Sajaan, Mattoo in Le Sirius! Great job!

My heaven on earth in Shandrani is the Spa and all the people there. A huuuge huge thank you for everyone in the spa, especially for my good, old friend, Jerry! God bless you!

I recommend this hotel with all my heart, for everyone...either families, either honymooners, either business. Shandrani has a little something for everyone! And, if you want an experience really special, take the helicopter trip! We had the long one, 1 hour, and Mauritius seen from the sky, looks even more beautiful :)

Thank you Shandrani and hope to see you soon!!!

Room Tip: new deluxe ground floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just arrived from this small paradise place. It has very convenient location - 10 min from airport, lots of beaches, 2 big pools, tennis courts, golf courts, water sports. One big plus - all inclusive. One huge minus - you will have to adjust your eating habits to the timing of the hotel. Restaurants work only certain time and if you missed breakfast you will have to wait till lunch which is gonna be at 3pm or having room service - which is taking up to 45 min to deliver. Bars are open however snack menu starting to work from 3pm to 5 pm. A bit inconvenient for me as I love to enjoy my food every 3 hrs.
Reception staff are not bad at all, some of them required more training on communication skills. Dunno how many starts got this resort but definitely not 5.
Room: I had superior room. Was impressed that hotel doesn't have one huge building with many flours and lots of rooms but got small houses 2-5 levels each. Had big bed made of two small single beds, big bathroom with separate shower cabin and toilet. Good toiletries. Didn't find room service menu and map of the resort. Resort is quite big and messy so map is required to roam around. Soundproof is missing in the rooms. So if your neighbor is playing guitar or having blast or fun - you gonna participate in it. It feels like they are tight next to you.
Water sports: I really enjoy it with my friends. Staff are very friendly and helpful.
Food: missed my breakfast as I love to sleep a lot when I am on holidays. However room service, dinner was not bad. Heard from my friends breakfast selection was quiet poor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank August W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Bay
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Tamassa
Tamassa
#1 of 6 in Bel Ombre

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!