We stayed at the Shandrani as a group of 12 (9 adults, 1 teenager & 2 children) from 10th to 17th April 2014 to celebrate our wedding.
We were met at the airport by the rep as we came through the door, my husband and I had a private transfer while everyone else has a small coach.....for the 10 min drive to the hotel. The staff were very helpful, dealing with our luggage and check-in, very fast and efficient (considering we arrived about 11am, before check-in time, all but one couples room was ready perfect).
Being the couple who were getting married we met with Sandrine the next day who was very efficient organizing every aspect of our wedding for us. We had a fantastic driver Polo who took us to Port Louis for the formalities and was kind enough to allow my parents to come with us so they could see the Capital too.
The wedding day itself was perfect Pricilla in the Salon did my hair & nails perfectly (I was amazed how quickly my hair went up she made it look so easy!). Rajesh (the hotel photographer) was also brilliant making sure we had all those important shots with family and friends together with some silly ones (we don't do sensible!) It was so hot and sunny he did so well. Sandrine had organised a beautiful 3 course meal in Le Sirius restaurant with Champagne for lunch for all 12 of us which was brilliant! We cooled off in the pool in the afternoon & in the evening one of the restaurant organisation mangers (who's name escapes me) organised a wonder round table in the Porto Vecio restaurant for our evening meal and decorated it with our flowers from the ceremony. A day thoroughly enjoyed by all, thank you/
Just a couple of points to make.......yes the hotel is very near the airport you WILL see the planes taking off.......if this at all bothers you then I wouldn't recommend you stay here or ask for a room close to Le Sirius & Teak Elephant resturant (these are further away from the airport). However the air traffic is not like London I would estimate approx 10-20 planes a day and they are during waking hours (earliest i noticed 8am ish & latest 11pm ish).
Something else worth mentioning is the restaurant booking system which in my view doesn't work well. On our first full day we approached the booking desk and was told that we couldn't book any restaurants (that would cater for 12) as they were all fully booked, I was absolutely astounded! When I questioned how this is possible I was told that people booked up to 2 weeks in advance!!!!! Great I thought...very fair!!!!not! Later we decided to book in smaller parties so my parents were lucky enough to get into the fish restaurant by going as a couple (but they had to wait nearly until the end of the week for this!), no one else managed to get in anywhere. So unfortunately we didn't get to try any other restaurants while we were there which was a shame. We do like to sit down and be served our food so having to eat in the buffet nearly every night didn't exactly fill us with joy........in my opinion the a la carte restaurants are certainly a better standard than the buffet (based on parents view, wedding day/night meal & lunches)
We traveled in the Easter holidays so was quite worried about the amount of children. There were children, but unlike other all-inclusive hotels we had been too you didn't feel like you were on top of everyone else so the noise level was more than acceptable & we didn't encounter any loud families the entire time we were there.
We would love to return to Mauritius and wouldn't hesitate to come to this hotel again..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LUXURY HOLIDAYS IN MAURITIUS FOR BEACH AND NATURE LOVERS Located in the unspoilt south region of Mauritius, Shandrani is a welcoming five-star resort with a lively vibe. Set on a private peninsula lapped by the Blue Bay Marine Park rich in sea life, Shandrani has three different beaches to discover. A short boat ride inshore takes you to the famous Ile aux Aigrettes nature reserve. When it comes to sports and leisure, the resort has something for everyone. A range of land and water sports is at hand including water-skiing and golf (the hotel features a 9-hole Par 29, "pitch & putt" golf course). A sailing school and a diving centre affiliated to PADI will delight all sports enthusiasts. Other facilities include a spa and a wellness centre, both associated to the world-renowned Clarins brand. Four restaurants invite you to sample sumptuous dishes served with a choice of fine wines. At Shandrani Resort & Spa, enjoy relaxing holidays in peaceful surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shandrani Hotel Blue Bay
- Shandrani Hotel Mauritius
- Shandrani Blue Bay
- Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa Mauritius/Blue Bay