Ten of us were taken on a 'significant age' celebration by the matriarch. She swears by the place - has returned 11 times! The long plane flight was made easier by our takeover of business class - quite what the other four people in the plush cabin thought of our large party I'm not sure, but luckily they were carted off to a different hotel.
The Shandrani is a kind of luxury version of an all inclusive resort. It's big, but with only a couple of hundred rooms so it never ever feels crowded. The setting is incredible, it's on a peninsular so is surrounded by water on three sides with three beaches, two on the lagoon side and the other on the rougher sea side but still inside of the reef. Yes you're near the airport so there are planes taking off over the hotel, but there aren't many and it's quite a spectacular sight. The restaurants are fabulous, make sure you book them early though as the restaurant booker at the desk in reception seems to be the most unhelpful and snide member of staff in the hotel. He's the only one though, from everyone else you get a first class service, welcoming and helpful all of the time. Rooms are fabulously appointed - I wouldn't call then five star rooms though - comfortably four star at best. The facilities are incredible - much to the matriarch's shock (who imagined us supping rum & coke on the beach from 10am) we all spent most of our time playing tennis, golf, kayaking, water skiing, windsurfing and mountain biking. All of these are included so you just turn up and book your courts/tee time/boats etc...
You know you're somewhere a bit special when there's an extensive wine list at each restaurant, but they're still part of the all inclusive - in fact the only thing you'll have to shell out for is any spa treatments (apart from the massage that you get anyway).
Drinks are all premium brand like Bombay Sapphire and Grey Goose, but the Piña Coladas are to die for!
We will definitely come back with the children when they are a bit older, when we've won the lottery.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LUXURY HOLIDAYS IN MAURITIUS FOR BEACH AND NATURE LOVERS Located in the unspoilt south region of Mauritius, Shandrani is a welcoming five-star resort with a lively vibe. Set on a private peninsula lapped by the Blue Bay Marine Park rich in sea life, Shandrani has three different beaches to discover. A short boat ride inshore takes you to the famous Ile aux Aigrettes nature reserve. When it comes to sports and leisure, the resort has something for everyone. A range of land and water sports is at hand including water-skiing and golf (the hotel features a 9-hole Par 29, "pitch & putt" golf course). A sailing school and a diving centre affiliated to PADI will delight all sports enthusiasts. Other facilities include a spa and a wellness centre, both associated to the world-renowned Clarins brand. Four restaurants invite you to sample sumptuous dishes served with a choice of fine wines. At Shandrani Resort & Spa, enjoy relaxing holidays in peaceful surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shandrani Hotel Blue Bay
- Shandrani Hotel Mauritius
- Shandrani Blue Bay
- Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa Mauritius/Blue Bay