“A good two week break”

Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
Reviewed 8 February 2007

Some good some less so good points but an overall positive impression and experience.
We were upgraded to one of the two Presidential suites so no complaints about accommodation.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for guests.
The hotel had about 40% occupancy - always a positive.
Good pools but they are irrelevant when the Ocean and various water activities are so good.
Food overall very good. We had the all inclusive package and tried all the restaurants. The buffet was not to my liking. The Italian was excellent with some good pasta dishes. Sirius was so so. The pay-extra-to-eat-there fish restaurant was excellent but has a significant mosquito problem and there is a mosquito-borne disease in that part of the world which is bad news.
Weather: hot and humid with a few days washed out. Our own stupid fault because we ignored the rule not to go to the tropics, north or south of the Equator in their summer.
Downsides: the weather, the mosquitos, the fact that Blue Bay is at the end of the runway at the international airport.
I don't think I would go back to either Mauritius or the Shandrani, mainly because I've been there and done it.

Despite these niggles, it was a good holiday.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Rave54
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 6 February 2007

Having read mostly good reviews of Shandrani, we had high expectations, and were quite disappointed. This was our first trip to Mauritius, and we are unlikely to return, definitely not to Shandrani.

The most disappointing aspect was the slow slow slow service.

Service is really slow, first orders are taken very quickly, but delivering it and subsequent orders took forever.
Service seems to be almost restricted to the bar areas and getting something at the pool or beach take some effort and then the delivery is again extremely slow. Don’t know if this is done to reduce consumption on the all inclusive package?

We found front desk, porters and restaurant staff not particularly friendly or helpful and insincere, however the staff cleaning the rooms were extremely helpful, friendly and polite.

We requested sea view rooms from the travel agent and were informed that all the rooms are sea view, however, there might be a palm leave "obscuring" the view, this was quite the understatement, as there is basically a palm tree jungle and I don’t believe any of the 500 plus rooms have a proper sea view as we tried to find another room.

Restaurants have no air-conditioning or fans or mist sprayers, and the heat was unbearable, flies were a big problem during lunch times.

I expected manicured lawns from a 5 star resort, and was very disappointed by the state of the lawns, as this give a generally bad impression.

Rooms - Other than being fairly spacious, furniture and fittings are nothing more than 3 star(compared to South African standards) Television reception - when there is, is terrible, despite the official language being English, there is only about 5 English channels, of which 3 is sport.

Food - not being seafood lovers, the preparation of the other meats were quite disappointing, most of it is very rare including all kebabs, pork, lamb chops etc.

Positives were:
All the restaurant, bar and pool areas are really stunning. Choice of sea, lagoon and pools.

Lastly, we found the all inclusive package to be very good as prices of anything is quite ridiculous, both in and outside the resorts. - That is again compared to prices in South Africa.

8  Thank Speedy-7
Reviewed 3 February 2007

My wife and I were delayed for 40 hrs and we got the oportunity to stay at the Shandrani for one night. .When we arrived the first impressions were very welcoming with an impressive entrance enhanced by a lovely water feature and foyer. Then it went downhill. We went to sit down in the reception area and noticed that many of the tables were dirty with drink stains and the ashtrays were full WHICH IS A SHAME AS IT IS A NICE AREA. We then checked into our room - no coffee making facilities and obviously had just been refurbished but, again, reasonably ok - they may have done this to facilitate the extra guests caused by the flight delay? We then went for a drink in the bar and the mosquitoes and flies around the bar were disgusting. The barman asked me if I would like some fruit in my drink, I declined. Some of the fruit juice was spilt on the bar and when we went back for another drink sometime later, the spillage had not been cleaned up and was swarming with flies. We then went for dinner and the bread was uncovered, there was no cloth or glove to hold when cutting the bread and again the little beasties were there. None of the starters or desserts were on chilled platters or servers and, again, were not covered. The birds - that was fine because it was open air and you will find that in Mauritius most are open air.

The next morning the builders started - and I mean THE BUILDERS STARTED. They were using a kango on the bedroom below us (a very large drill). This went on all day until we checked out early as we could not stand the inconvenience. I could go on about this hotel, i.e. no tap water in room when we checked in etc. ect. This was supposed to be a 5*? hotel. We had just had a fabulous holiday at the Heritage Golf and Spa hotel where we never saw one fly around the food or bar areas except possibly the open beach bar (the Heritage have a insect management system which they implement every day).

Again, I must say that some of the things may have been due to the fact that they may have taken the booking at short notice but that does not mean that standards should drop this low. We sat at the airport for 9 hours which was a relief cocmpared to staying at the Shandrani.

I have to say that my impression of the Shandrani is not very high

11  Thank mandm32
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We had a decent stay at the Shandrani for five nights last March. Had we stayed any longer I think it would have been too much. The room was ok, if a little old fashioned and in need of a revamp. The hotel lobby and pools were stunning but the routes to the accommodation were poorly lit and slightly butlinsesque - my boyfriend had a fright one night when a group of large rats scurried past his feet! The evening entertainment was a bit poor and finished at 11pm which was disappointing for us but depends what you're looking for. Beach wasn't as good as I expected but we enjoyed the snorkelling. Definitely recommend the cycling trip to the local town - hard work but worth it!

In summary, pleasant enough but watch out for the rats!

Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank KatyL
Reviewed 7 January 2007

We spent two weeks at the Shandrani at the beginning of December for our honeymoon.

We had an amazing time. The food, accommodation and people are all wonderful.

We had a standard room that had recently been refurbished and it was lovely.

We sunbathed on all three beaches, did all the watersports and used all the restaurants and bars. All were outstanding.

Only negative comment would be the service in the Sirius restaurant, the food is probably a best in the resort, but the service needs a lot of work.

We'd love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Samiana
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Although we spent only 2 nights at the Shandrani, it felt longer.
The hotel caters for all sorts of activities whether it be sport or just to relax. The staff were very friendly and helpful and would not hesitate to make the stay even more pleasurable than it is. All the appartments were situated in close proximity to 3 beaches, so there was no excuse to dip our toes in the Indian Ocean. The buffet breakfast & dinner were just fantastic, so be prepare to loosen those trouser belts. If you are going to make an romantic announcement at a romantic moment in the hotel, choose your time well. The reason because, Shandrani is situated very close to airport. You might get 4-5 planes flying over in 1 hour. However you will have very long periods when there will be no planes flying above. I enjoyed my stay here and would consider coming back if I ever get back Mauritius.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Cassiya
Reviewed 14 November 2006

We went on a three week holiday at The Shandrani on the 'Serenity' package (all inclusive) and it was worth it., all food, drinks and Land and watersports included.

Five star luxury plus in a Deluxe Room which was huge!.

It was Paradise indeed and I can’t say how wonderful everything was, The Shandrani was fantastic and sometimes when you go ion holiday you don’t know what to expect in anticipation but this was ten times better that we ever imagined.

The Hotel staff were so friendly, especially Steeves, the Public Relations Manager, the beaches spotless and warm, the wedding was perfect in every way and I wish I could do it all over again. We arranged a DVD of the day and it was worth it, when I saw it the first time, I had tears in my eyes as it captured it so beautifully.

The food was out of this world and the cocktails...! Certainly put on a few pounds, but it was worth every calorie!

I couldn’t have chosen a better luxury in the Hotel and I had every type of massage going at the Spa.

Pictures are still buzzing in my head as I type and I just want to go back. Our teenagers loved it to, quite a feat in itself, and the staff looked after them with the odd cocktail or two and there were quite a few groups of young teenagers as well so that was good for them to mingle and let us to get on with it too.

Can't wait to go back!

Luc

8  Thank luc48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Bay
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!