“10 days of luxury!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
Yarm - NorthEast
“10 days of luxury!”
Reviewed 12 February 2007

Took my family & parents to stay at Shandrani for 10 days hoping it would be a 'dream holiday'....
...It was!
Starting with our arrival at the hotel where we were given a very warm welcome and after a well needed ice tea we checked in whilst seated in the amazing reception.
We had arrived early and were offered use of a departure room as our own rooms weren't ready.

We returned to customer relations after a relaxed breakfast to enquire as to what times at least one of the rooms would be ready as we have two young kids. We were pleasantly surprised to hear that all three rooms were ready and were all adjoining.

The rooms were great - just been refurbished and were really big. We were on the ground floor which was excellent for the kids - they could play outside the room and wander between all three without any of us worrying.
The mini bar was well stocked and replenished punctually everyday. I read another report that said there were no tea making facilities in the room - there certainly were in our three!

The pools were both excellent - hardly anyone using them and service at the poolside was wonderful - the staff learnt our names and even our drink preferences - nice little touches.

The Restaurants had great menus. We only ate at Sirius once and it was superb - very "arty!". The buffet was a hit with everyone - quite overwhelming as to the size and selection. Food was all cooked wonderfully.

Service at the bars could be slightly slow right after dinner but with lots of people wanting after dinner drinks it was to be expected.

The entertainment was pretty varied and the kids loved the Sega dancers!

We tried lots of the different sporting activities during our stay - snorkeling and scuba were both very good (there's a marine park next to Shandrani) and I attended the sailing school on several occasions. You have to pay to be instructed for your certificate but it's two hours of one-on-one tuition on a Hobie 16 for 75euros so better value than here. The instructor Jean was particularly good and taught me stuff I've not be shown before.

We hired the hotels private 300hp speedboat for the day on my Father's birthday - WOW! - we were taken up the East side of the Island to some amazing beaches, islands and a waterfall and had a champagne picnic aboard the boat. You must try this!!!!

The staff on the whole were excellent - Steeves was brilliant - always really friendly and seemed genuinely interested for our welfare and enjoyment.

I suppose all of this is all well and good but would I go again??
I'm planning my 2007 trip already!!!!

Well done Shandrani!

• Liked — Size & cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank NJNorth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
london
Reviewed 12 February 2007

I spent a very enjoyable week at the Shandrani, the welcome was wonderful, all the staff were pleasent and helpfull and always smiling. The rooms were massive and i think theyve just been refurbished. I stayed in the deluxe rooms near the wild beach and they were perfect. I loved the fact that you could join in with any, all or none of the activites, the list of which seems endless. Its definately a fantastic hotel if you like to be active but its not essential. I especially liked the spa which i thought was very good value. I was also very impressed with the food, i thought the quality for an all inclusive was excellent. I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — The activities
  • Disliked — spacious rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellerjLondon
Home counties
Reviewed 8 February 2007

Some good some less so good points but an overall positive impression and experience.
We were upgraded to one of the two Presidential suites so no complaints about accommodation.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for guests.
The hotel had about 40% occupancy - always a positive.
Good pools but they are irrelevant when the Ocean and various water activities are so good.
Food overall very good. We had the all inclusive package and tried all the restaurants. The buffet was not to my liking. The Italian was excellent with some good pasta dishes. Sirius was so so. The pay-extra-to-eat-there fish restaurant was excellent but has a significant mosquito problem and there is a mosquito-borne disease in that part of the world which is bad news.
Weather: hot and humid with a few days washed out. Our own stupid fault because we ignored the rule not to go to the tropics, north or south of the Equator in their summer.
Downsides: the weather, the mosquitos, the fact that Blue Bay is at the end of the runway at the international airport.
I don't think I would go back to either Mauritius or the Shandrani, mainly because I've been there and done it.

Despite these niggles, it was a good holiday.

• Liked — A good place to relax
  • Disliked — Proximity to airport
2 Thank Rave54
Johannesburg
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Having read mostly good reviews of Shandrani, we had high expectations, and were quite disappointed. This was our first trip to Mauritius, and we are unlikely to return, definitely not to Shandrani.

The most disappointing aspect was the slow slow slow service.

Service is really slow, first orders are taken very quickly, but delivering it and subsequent orders took forever.
Service seems to be almost restricted to the bar areas and getting something at the pool or beach take some effort and then the delivery is again extremely slow. Don’t know if this is done to reduce consumption on the all inclusive package?

We found front desk, porters and restaurant staff not particularly friendly or helpful and insincere, however the staff cleaning the rooms were extremely helpful, friendly and polite.

We requested sea view rooms from the travel agent and were informed that all the rooms are sea view, however, there might be a palm leave "obscuring" the view, this was quite the understatement, as there is basically a palm tree jungle and I don’t believe any of the 500 plus rooms have a proper sea view as we tried to find another room.

Restaurants have no air-conditioning or fans or mist sprayers, and the heat was unbearable, flies were a big problem during lunch times.

I expected manicured lawns from a 5 star resort, and was very disappointed by the state of the lawns, as this give a generally bad impression.

Rooms - Other than being fairly spacious, furniture and fittings are nothing more than 3 star(compared to South African standards) Television reception - when there is, is terrible, despite the official language being English, there is only about 5 English channels, of which 3 is sport.

Food - not being seafood lovers, the preparation of the other meats were quite disappointing, most of it is very rare including all kebabs, pork, lamb chops etc.

Positives were:
All the restaurant, bar and pool areas are really stunning. Choice of sea, lagoon and pools.

Lastly, we found the all inclusive package to be very good as prices of anything is quite ridiculous, both in and outside the resorts. - That is again compared to prices in South Africa.

• Liked — Pool and restuarant areas very nice
  • Disliked — Service, lack of proper sea views
8 Thank Speedy-7
northumberland
Reviewed 3 February 2007

My wife and I were delayed for 40 hrs and we got the oportunity to stay at the Shandrani for one night. .When we arrived the first impressions were very welcoming with an impressive entrance enhanced by a lovely water feature and foyer. Then it went downhill. We went to sit down in the reception area and noticed that many of the tables were dirty with drink stains and the ashtrays were full WHICH IS A SHAME AS IT IS A NICE AREA. We then checked into our room - no coffee making facilities and obviously had just been refurbished but, again, reasonably ok - they may have done this to facilitate the extra guests caused by the flight delay? We then went for a drink in the bar and the mosquitoes and flies around the bar were disgusting. The barman asked me if I would like some fruit in my drink, I declined. Some of the fruit juice was spilt on the bar and when we went back for another drink sometime later, the spillage had not been cleaned up and was swarming with flies. We then went for dinner and the bread was uncovered, there was no cloth or glove to hold when cutting the bread and again the little beasties were there. None of the starters or desserts were on chilled platters or servers and, again, were not covered. The birds - that was fine because it was open air and you will find that in Mauritius most are open air.

The next morning the builders started - and I mean THE BUILDERS STARTED. They were using a kango on the bedroom below us (a very large drill). This went on all day until we checked out early as we could not stand the inconvenience. I could go on about this hotel, i.e. no tap water in room when we checked in etc. ect. This was supposed to be a 5*? hotel. We had just had a fabulous holiday at the Heritage Golf and Spa hotel where we never saw one fly around the food or bar areas except possibly the open beach bar (the Heritage have a insect management system which they implement every day).

Again, I must say that some of the things may have been due to the fact that they may have taken the booking at short notice but that does not mean that standards should drop this low. We sat at the airport for 9 hours which was a relief cocmpared to staying at the Shandrani.

I have to say that my impression of the Shandrani is not very high

• Liked — entrance
  • Disliked — cleanliness noise
11 Thank mandm32
Solihull
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We had a decent stay at the Shandrani for five nights last March. Had we stayed any longer I think it would have been too much. The room was ok, if a little old fashioned and in need of a revamp. The hotel lobby and pools were stunning but the routes to the accommodation were poorly lit and slightly butlinsesque - my boyfriend had a fright one night when a group of large rats scurried past his feet! The evening entertainment was a bit poor and finished at 11pm which was disappointing for us but depends what you're looking for. Beach wasn't as good as I expected but we enjoyed the snorkelling. Definitely recommend the cycling trip to the local town - hard work but worth it!

In summary, pleasant enough but watch out for the rats!

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank KatyL
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2007

We spent two weeks at the Shandrani at the beginning of December for our honeymoon.

We had an amazing time. The food, accommodation and people are all wonderful.

We had a standard room that had recently been refurbished and it was lovely.

We sunbathed on all three beaches, did all the watersports and used all the restaurants and bars. All were outstanding.

Only negative comment would be the service in the Sirius restaurant, the food is probably a best in the resort, but the service needs a lot of work.

We'd love to go back.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Samiana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Bay
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Constance Le Prince Maurice
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!