“The Shandrani - Amazing!”

Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
England
“The Shandrani - Amazing!”
Reviewed 18 March 2007

The Shandrani was wonderful. I've visited Mauritius twice and both times I have stayed at the Shandrani. It is gorgeous, and there is nothing I can fault. It is such an amazing hotel, which such a brilliant atmosphere. I'm sure many future travellers will fall in love with this hotel just like I have!

-The Location-
Now, let me just clear up a few things. Yes, the Shandrani is very near the airport, but this is NOT (and I repeat NOT) a problem. There are very few planes arriving and departing in Mauritius and the noise is there for like, 2 minutes, and all in all, it didn't disturb my Mauritius Paradise at all and I've read that alot of people feel the same.
Most of the Mauritius hotels are in North Mauritius, whereas the Shandrani is in the South, Blue Bay. It is a gorgeous location, in 2005 we stayed for 10 days, and only got about an hour's worth of rain. And even then, we were still in the pool!!

-Accomodation-
The rooms are great. We stayed on the second floor (Room 254.. I think) and it was great. On one side of us, we had a beautiful beach (which our large balcony looked out onto and what we woke up to every morning) and the other, tropical gardens and just a short minute's walk to the main hotel. The rooms are large, I think we had a family apartment. Either way, I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a small entrance hall, on the right was a door to the Children's room (With bunkbeds, very comfortable) and a seperate on-suite for the kids. On the left was the door to a LARGE lounge area with v.comfortable sofas, a tv, and also, a step up to the bed-area, with a king-size bed, which was VERY comfortable, unbeleivable :)
Also, a bathroom with seperate toilet room and storage room (like a walk in wardrobe) with safe/ect.. The room was gorgeous. Also, a balcony showing off one of their beaches (every room has a view of the sea/beach.)

-Service-
The Service was amazing at the Shandrani. The service made it the perfect holiday. The staff were always ready for a friendly chat, or to attend to whatever you needed. I didn't come across a single member of staff who didn't attend to our every need at a minute's notice.. and the reception staff were especially good. The cleaner was very friendly, coming in all the time to clean our room, reguarly making an effort to make us smile. The bar staff were very good with kids, making them laugh and also the adults.
The manager is great, and so are the Watersports Staff! They were so patient when my cannoe got stuck out there, I had to get back going very slowly and everything, and they were brilliant and attentive when it came to that. The Service at the Shandrani is brilliant.

-Cleanliness-
All in all, the Shandrani was very clean, staff reguarly cleaning the pools, beaches and rooms. You can always get a smile off them too, the Shandrani is very clean. We never came across a problem and the towels..ect were reguarly changed.

-Pool Areas-
The Shandrani has two wonderful pools, one main pool leading on to the main beach and another deeper pool. Both have bar areas surrounding. The main pool isn't crowded but there are normally quite a few people in there and sometimes the second pool is empty, which is great fun! The Pool areas are amazing and where I spent most of my time!

Overall, Shandrani is a fantastic 5* hotel, well worth its stars and the money. You are guarenteed to have a FANTASTIC time at the Shandrani,, Mauritius = Paradise!!

Jessica Ann xx

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing, the Shandrani has no faults!
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled with family
13 Thank xoJessicaAnn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2007

The hotel itself was great as many of the other reviews can testify to. The location of this hotel being in the south of the island brings with it two slight drawbacks in my opinion. Firstly, its close to the airport, very close in fact and you can hear all the planes reving their engines on the runway; not ideal for a tranquil setting!

Secondly, it would appear from my brief stay on the island that the Southern part of the island has the worse of the weather when its raining. I was on the island for 4-5 days and the only sunshine we got was when we went to the North West of the island for some sailing. All our friends left in the hotel that day still had the rain!! It might have something to do with the large mountains in the centre of the island that cause the rain clouds to dump their load in the south before they go over the tops perhaps! It has been said that the weather forecast on the island can vary as much as 10 degrees difference between the north and the south (but that's only hearsay so check it out for yourself!)

• Stayed March 2007
7 Thank Pete M
uk
Reviewed 15 February 2007

My husband & I and our two little children had the most fantastic holiday last November in Mauritius at the Shandrani Hotel. We had 5 start treatment from start to finish.

At first we were a little worried about travelling with a 2 year old and a 6 month old to a destination so far away and all I can say is it was the most wonderful holiday ever, the staff at Shandrani really made us feel welcome and they were really excellent with the kids. For example, One of our suitcases came a few days later after we arrived, it was the one with the baby's food in and the restaurants went out of their way to make special puree food for the baby.

The rooms at the Shandrani are great, so spacious and light. We had a family apartment and WOW...... it was amazing! Our room was massive, the bathroom was huge and we even had a separate dressing room and on top of that, the kids had their own bedroom and shower room. It is really wonderful how all the rooms look out to the sea and all the palm trees around makes it feel like paradise!!

Every day we had to make the decision of which beach to go to as there were 3 of them! There are also 2 pools so we always had new places to go to. Although, I must say we spent most of our time at the main pool and beach as everything we needed for the kids was there.

Our daughter had a babysitter for a few hours a couple of afternoons and they spent their time at the Bob Marlin Kids Club, she thought it was the best thing ever and had loads of fun with the other kids. She loved it so much, she kept asking to go again and again.

The food was 'out of this world' and again, we were spoilt for choice where to eat! Being on the Serenity package was fantastic and we really loved the idea of not having to worry about extra costs. All the restaurants were brilliant, the staff were really friendly, always smiling and the service was excellent. My favourite was the pancakes that were served every afternoon! My husbands favourite was lunch at the Italian restaurant having 'catch of the day'! We both really enjoyed the cocktails late afternoon and my daughter loved having dinner at the main restaurant every evening as she got to choose what she wanted to eat!

All in all we had a truly amazing holiday and we wouldn't think twice about going back again or recommending it to other families.

It really was a FANTASTIC holiday at the Shandrani Hotel, thank you Beachcomber Tours for recommending it to our Travel Agent.

• Liked — The lovely spacious rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank hertsLondon
Yarm - NorthEast
Reviewed 12 February 2007

Took my family & parents to stay at Shandrani for 10 days hoping it would be a 'dream holiday'....
...It was!
Starting with our arrival at the hotel where we were given a very warm welcome and after a well needed ice tea we checked in whilst seated in the amazing reception.
We had arrived early and were offered use of a departure room as our own rooms weren't ready.

We returned to customer relations after a relaxed breakfast to enquire as to what times at least one of the rooms would be ready as we have two young kids. We were pleasantly surprised to hear that all three rooms were ready and were all adjoining.

The rooms were great - just been refurbished and were really big. We were on the ground floor which was excellent for the kids - they could play outside the room and wander between all three without any of us worrying.
The mini bar was well stocked and replenished punctually everyday. I read another report that said there were no tea making facilities in the room - there certainly were in our three!

The pools were both excellent - hardly anyone using them and service at the poolside was wonderful - the staff learnt our names and even our drink preferences - nice little touches.

The Restaurants had great menus. We only ate at Sirius once and it was superb - very "arty!". The buffet was a hit with everyone - quite overwhelming as to the size and selection. Food was all cooked wonderfully.

Service at the bars could be slightly slow right after dinner but with lots of people wanting after dinner drinks it was to be expected.

The entertainment was pretty varied and the kids loved the Sega dancers!

We tried lots of the different sporting activities during our stay - snorkeling and scuba were both very good (there's a marine park next to Shandrani) and I attended the sailing school on several occasions. You have to pay to be instructed for your certificate but it's two hours of one-on-one tuition on a Hobie 16 for 75euros so better value than here. The instructor Jean was particularly good and taught me stuff I've not be shown before.

We hired the hotels private 300hp speedboat for the day on my Father's birthday - WOW! - we were taken up the East side of the Island to some amazing beaches, islands and a waterfall and had a champagne picnic aboard the boat. You must try this!!!!

The staff on the whole were excellent - Steeves was brilliant - always really friendly and seemed genuinely interested for our welfare and enjoyment.

I suppose all of this is all well and good but would I go again??
I'm planning my 2007 trip already!!!!

Well done Shandrani!

• Liked — Size & cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank NJNorth
london
Reviewed 12 February 2007

I spent a very enjoyable week at the Shandrani, the welcome was wonderful, all the staff were pleasent and helpfull and always smiling. The rooms were massive and i think theyve just been refurbished. I stayed in the deluxe rooms near the wild beach and they were perfect. I loved the fact that you could join in with any, all or none of the activites, the list of which seems endless. Its definately a fantastic hotel if you like to be active but its not essential. I especially liked the spa which i thought was very good value. I was also very impressed with the food, i thought the quality for an all inclusive was excellent. I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — The activities
  • Disliked — spacious rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellerjLondon
Home counties
Reviewed 8 February 2007

Some good some less so good points but an overall positive impression and experience.
We were upgraded to one of the two Presidential suites so no complaints about accommodation.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for guests.
The hotel had about 40% occupancy - always a positive.
Good pools but they are irrelevant when the Ocean and various water activities are so good.
Food overall very good. We had the all inclusive package and tried all the restaurants. The buffet was not to my liking. The Italian was excellent with some good pasta dishes. Sirius was so so. The pay-extra-to-eat-there fish restaurant was excellent but has a significant mosquito problem and there is a mosquito-borne disease in that part of the world which is bad news.
Weather: hot and humid with a few days washed out. Our own stupid fault because we ignored the rule not to go to the tropics, north or south of the Equator in their summer.
Downsides: the weather, the mosquitos, the fact that Blue Bay is at the end of the runway at the international airport.
I don't think I would go back to either Mauritius or the Shandrani, mainly because I've been there and done it.

Despite these niggles, it was a good holiday.

• Liked — A good place to relax
  • Disliked — Proximity to airport
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rave54
Johannesburg
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Having read mostly good reviews of Shandrani, we had high expectations, and were quite disappointed. This was our first trip to Mauritius, and we are unlikely to return, definitely not to Shandrani.

The most disappointing aspect was the slow slow slow service.

Service is really slow, first orders are taken very quickly, but delivering it and subsequent orders took forever.
Service seems to be almost restricted to the bar areas and getting something at the pool or beach take some effort and then the delivery is again extremely slow. Don’t know if this is done to reduce consumption on the all inclusive package?

We found front desk, porters and restaurant staff not particularly friendly or helpful and insincere, however the staff cleaning the rooms were extremely helpful, friendly and polite.

We requested sea view rooms from the travel agent and were informed that all the rooms are sea view, however, there might be a palm leave "obscuring" the view, this was quite the understatement, as there is basically a palm tree jungle and I don’t believe any of the 500 plus rooms have a proper sea view as we tried to find another room.

Restaurants have no air-conditioning or fans or mist sprayers, and the heat was unbearable, flies were a big problem during lunch times.

I expected manicured lawns from a 5 star resort, and was very disappointed by the state of the lawns, as this give a generally bad impression.

Rooms - Other than being fairly spacious, furniture and fittings are nothing more than 3 star(compared to South African standards) Television reception - when there is, is terrible, despite the official language being English, there is only about 5 English channels, of which 3 is sport.

Food - not being seafood lovers, the preparation of the other meats were quite disappointing, most of it is very rare including all kebabs, pork, lamb chops etc.

Positives were:
All the restaurant, bar and pool areas are really stunning. Choice of sea, lagoon and pools.

Lastly, we found the all inclusive package to be very good as prices of anything is quite ridiculous, both in and outside the resorts. - That is again compared to prices in South Africa.

• Liked — Pool and restuarant areas very nice
  • Disliked — Service, lack of proper sea views
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Speedy-7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Bay
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!