“dirty room”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
Hartford, Connecticut
“dirty room”
Reviewed 10 June 2007

The hotel was ok, but our room was filthy. Talking to the cleaning person did not really help. This was enough for me, could not wait to go back home

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winchester England
Reviewed 27 May 2007

We spent one week here as the hotel was fully booked for the second week. That turned out to be a lucky break for us as there were a few niggles and we had a brilliant second week at another hotel. This is probably the equivalent of a four star not five and the service about 3 star. Some of the staff were great friendly and efficient, others simply robotic and almost rude. It's a real shame as it could have been really lovely but just fell down on details and making us feel welcome instead of outsiders for the second half of the week. There were some real corkers along the way too, like asking for a lunch menu and being given one only to be told when we wanted to order that they weren't serving lunches that time - then why give us the menu or tell us that at the outset??? There were a few little things like that which eventually marred the stay. Nothing particularly awful or important but they eventually added up and suggested an overhaul was required somewhere as this was not five star service. One evening we made the mistake of pouring our own wine (as no one had replenished our glasses for some time) only to have the bottle snatched out of our hands and the deed done by a seriously disgruntled young lady (maybe a cardinal sin on our part or sackable offence on hers - who knows?) she then filled my glass without asking when I didn't want any and then stuffed the bottle upended in the chiller when it wasn't actually empty! We sat open mouthed and then swopped glasses! Prior to that she'd dropped the top of the water bottle on the floor and then just put it back on the bottle - again just laughable but not really.

If you don't like aeroplane noise then don't choose this hotel it's the nearest hotel to the airport and under the flight path - part of the attraction for my husband, and it didn't bother me - some of the crews stay here and people who have flights cancelled get sent here too.

The Shandrani is one of the oldest tourist hotels as is therefore situated in a well chosen spot on a lovely bay (was originally the Challand). It was also one of the first Mauritian hotels to offer an 'All inclusive' option, although we were there on half board and don't believe the supplement was worth paying but we're not great drinkers either so that may not hold true for others. The hotel is well designed to combat the winds that channel straight in off the sea through the middle. It has a sheltered beach with water sports activities including water skiing and snorkelling all included, as well as two other beaches and plenty of sunbeds and shade for all. it has a choice of four restaurants with the main one being buffet style. The gardens are well tended and lush and there is a well kept golf course along with tennis courts, gym and spa. Both swimming pool areas were really beautiful, large, clean and underused.

The rooms were also large and clean (I think ours had been recently refurbished) and set in well spaced blocks of five or six rooms to each block with the suites situated nearer the Sirius restaurant end of the complex. Again don't go if you are a bathroom virgin as they form part of the main room with only partitions between - bit of a rude awakening for some honeymoon couples an others alike I guess! The twin hand basins were a nice touch but we had a few service niggles in the room which should not have been an issue at a 5 star hotel. Toiletries and face towels were missing or not replaced, the floor was always wiped but still gritty, and towels were replaced when not needed or left when put in the right place and obviously in need of replacement. In other words their own system for towel replacement didn't work. Silly things in isolation but really annoying eventually with all the other little things like a gurgly shower drain for a night that could only be quietened by an upturned waste bin over the top! To be fair these were always sorted out with a call to housekeeping but it somehow makes you feel that you're bothering some poor soul who's got enough to do already! However, if you don't do it then things won't improve. We found out later that the hotel apparently lost a lot of it's experienced staff when four new hotels opened in the south a few years ago. If that is true it explains a lot .

On arrival we were met by a beautifully dressed member of staff with a drink and given basic information about the restaurant options but we later discovered that no information was provided about entertainment, (which we found by mistake) or that there was transport within the grounds by buggy if needed (useful for those with disability) as it's a long walk from one end of the resort to the restaurant on the peninsula (particularly in a squall - we had several during our week's stay). Subsequent information about alterations to the norm was non-existent and some regularly displayed information boards were not updated or just wrong. It's also the first hotel we've stayed at that didn't have a questionnaire to fill in which is either extremely arrogant or indicative of why they have problems.

The public areas were vast and lovely but the seating looked more inviting than it actually was. Most chairs were extremely uncomfortable and definitely not for the short-legged.

The restaurants were attractively styled and the buffet vast and plentiful but after a couple of days a bit repetitive and at least one restaurant was always closed. All tables were besieged by birds (mainly at breakfast) so you could not leave anything unattended. This was a bit of a pain and really difficult for those with small children who didn't understand about the health hazards. My husband was really ill one night after a buffet which had been relocated to the Sirius when the main restaurant was closed as a corporate group (see below) had private party in the grounds. As they made up the lions share of the residents the buffet was transferred to the smaller restaurant for the remaining guests who were in the minority, This was not the problem - lack of information was - we were never told of the change evn thoughnit would have been easy to leave a voice message or note iin our room for those outside the group.

The end of our week saw the arrival of a 300 strong corporate group for 3 days and that was when the problems really showed as they couldn't cope at breakfast - no tables laid up ready with staff failing to serve until asked - as the group swept in early leaving things in disarray behind them while making off on excursions. The staff appeared to have a system in operation showing, by the lay up of the table, at what point you were with service. This fell apart under pressure, particularly when the table was not laid up at all. Dinner was not as shambolic as the large group were catered for privately elsewhere. The bar staff seemed bemused by it all too as we took an age to attract the attention of a waiter one afternoon (you know when you feel invisible?) and a seriously disabled guest on the beach who tried to get service having stood below some steps for a while had to ask another guest to goup and put an order in for him - serious shortcomings - when the male staff were all standing round the bar chatting and then sent a waitress instead who seemed to be the only one doing anything!

During this period the group were mainly out all day on trips, which was a blessing, as the day they weren't out everyone was sidelined with everything right down to water sports. We felt the way we were treated (or rather ignored) over these few days was inexcusable and particularly bad considering we were full paying guests and the corporates were probably there on massive discounts. However if this is the way the hotel wants to move it may be the saving or the finish of it, for the two do not mix in the current regime with such a large group unless they rethink their approach. There were a couple of smaller groups staying earlier in the week which did not seriously impact on the rest of the guests at all so it is a management and staff issue - perhaps we were just unlucky, or perhaps this will become the norm?

They are in the process of building a new spa in the grounds and intend to go fully 'All Inclusive' when this is open. This will make it more expensive and presumably they will be courting the larger corporate groups? So independent travellers beware - or at least be heard if you get a bad service, otherwise it won't improve.

There is internet access but it's costly. As the keyboard is different to normal take 1/2 hour in the first instance not 1/4 hour as the time vanishes while you get acquainted. The bikes for hire are good standard and guides great for local trips as is the other equipment for water sports. The water skiing boat captains are especially patient with ski-virgins like me (and no I never did stand up!) Other little things that add up for those on half board are bottles of water as the nearest shopping area, apart from the airport, is Mahebourg which is not within walking distance. It was extremely humid while we were there so you can't stint on the fluids.

• Liked — Quite private and well set out in large mature grounds
  • Disliked — Not good in bad weather - chillly and ill lit
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Wistful100
England
Reviewed 15 May 2007

I had the most amazing time at the Shandrani from 1st to 12th May. I got married over there and took my two young children. It is coming into winter now and the weather was overcast as we left but for most of the 10 days I stayed there the weather was lovely. The complex is immaculate and has beautiful gardens. The staff were wonderful, great with the children. The beaches, especially the wild beach are beautiful too. Turquoise sea and white sand!! I spent most of my time lazing by the beach and pool and had drinks brought to our table. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break on a paradise island. Wonderful!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Adak
middlesbrough
Reviewed 23 April 2007

Just returned last week from the Shandrani which really lived up to all of the positive posts read on TA.We stayed in the family apartments which whilst they had not been refurbished unlike many of the other types of rooms,it was super.
Most of the hotels facililites have been well stated previously on this site however one thing we hadn't realised was the option to hire a nanny through the miniclub.....it was excellent ,our nanny (Annelise)was lovely with our two year old who like all two year olds can be a handfull from time to time.Also the cost of the nanny was really cheap approx £1.50 per hour.We hired Annelise for approx 4-5 hours allowing us to sail most days,snorkel ect.
P.S always seems to be a lot of chat on this site about weather in the north or the south....for my part I can confirm that the weather in the first two weeks of April was terrific every day and if it rained it never lasted more than 5 mins.

• Liked — The Quality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank toonie37
England
Reviewed 18 March 2007

The Shandrani was wonderful. I've visited Mauritius twice and both times I have stayed at the Shandrani. It is gorgeous, and there is nothing I can fault. It is such an amazing hotel, which such a brilliant atmosphere. I'm sure many future travellers will fall in love with this hotel just like I have!

-The Location-
Now, let me just clear up a few things. Yes, the Shandrani is very near the airport, but this is NOT (and I repeat NOT) a problem. There are very few planes arriving and departing in Mauritius and the noise is there for like, 2 minutes, and all in all, it didn't disturb my Mauritius Paradise at all and I've read that alot of people feel the same.
Most of the Mauritius hotels are in North Mauritius, whereas the Shandrani is in the South, Blue Bay. It is a gorgeous location, in 2005 we stayed for 10 days, and only got about an hour's worth of rain. And even then, we were still in the pool!!

-Accomodation-
The rooms are great. We stayed on the second floor (Room 254.. I think) and it was great. On one side of us, we had a beautiful beach (which our large balcony looked out onto and what we woke up to every morning) and the other, tropical gardens and just a short minute's walk to the main hotel. The rooms are large, I think we had a family apartment. Either way, I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a small entrance hall, on the right was a door to the Children's room (With bunkbeds, very comfortable) and a seperate on-suite for the kids. On the left was the door to a LARGE lounge area with v.comfortable sofas, a tv, and also, a step up to the bed-area, with a king-size bed, which was VERY comfortable, unbeleivable :)
Also, a bathroom with seperate toilet room and storage room (like a walk in wardrobe) with safe/ect.. The room was gorgeous. Also, a balcony showing off one of their beaches (every room has a view of the sea/beach.)

-Service-
The Service was amazing at the Shandrani. The service made it the perfect holiday. The staff were always ready for a friendly chat, or to attend to whatever you needed. I didn't come across a single member of staff who didn't attend to our every need at a minute's notice.. and the reception staff were especially good. The cleaner was very friendly, coming in all the time to clean our room, reguarly making an effort to make us smile. The bar staff were very good with kids, making them laugh and also the adults.
The manager is great, and so are the Watersports Staff! They were so patient when my cannoe got stuck out there, I had to get back going very slowly and everything, and they were brilliant and attentive when it came to that. The Service at the Shandrani is brilliant.

-Cleanliness-
All in all, the Shandrani was very clean, staff reguarly cleaning the pools, beaches and rooms. You can always get a smile off them too, the Shandrani is very clean. We never came across a problem and the towels..ect were reguarly changed.

-Pool Areas-
The Shandrani has two wonderful pools, one main pool leading on to the main beach and another deeper pool. Both have bar areas surrounding. The main pool isn't crowded but there are normally quite a few people in there and sometimes the second pool is empty, which is great fun! The Pool areas are amazing and where I spent most of my time!

Overall, Shandrani is a fantastic 5* hotel, well worth its stars and the money. You are guarenteed to have a FANTASTIC time at the Shandrani,, Mauritius = Paradise!!

Jessica Ann xx

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing, the Shandrani has no faults!
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled with family
13 Thank xoJessicaAnn
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2007

The hotel itself was great as many of the other reviews can testify to. The location of this hotel being in the south of the island brings with it two slight drawbacks in my opinion. Firstly, its close to the airport, very close in fact and you can hear all the planes reving their engines on the runway; not ideal for a tranquil setting!

Secondly, it would appear from my brief stay on the island that the Southern part of the island has the worse of the weather when its raining. I was on the island for 4-5 days and the only sunshine we got was when we went to the North West of the island for some sailing. All our friends left in the hotel that day still had the rain!! It might have something to do with the large mountains in the centre of the island that cause the rain clouds to dump their load in the south before they go over the tops perhaps! It has been said that the weather forecast on the island can vary as much as 10 degrees difference between the north and the south (but that's only hearsay so check it out for yourself!)

• Stayed March 2007
7 Thank Pete M
uk
Reviewed 15 February 2007

My husband & I and our two little children had the most fantastic holiday last November in Mauritius at the Shandrani Hotel. We had 5 start treatment from start to finish.

At first we were a little worried about travelling with a 2 year old and a 6 month old to a destination so far away and all I can say is it was the most wonderful holiday ever, the staff at Shandrani really made us feel welcome and they were really excellent with the kids. For example, One of our suitcases came a few days later after we arrived, it was the one with the baby's food in and the restaurants went out of their way to make special puree food for the baby.

The rooms at the Shandrani are great, so spacious and light. We had a family apartment and WOW...... it was amazing! Our room was massive, the bathroom was huge and we even had a separate dressing room and on top of that, the kids had their own bedroom and shower room. It is really wonderful how all the rooms look out to the sea and all the palm trees around makes it feel like paradise!!

Every day we had to make the decision of which beach to go to as there were 3 of them! There are also 2 pools so we always had new places to go to. Although, I must say we spent most of our time at the main pool and beach as everything we needed for the kids was there.

Our daughter had a babysitter for a few hours a couple of afternoons and they spent their time at the Bob Marlin Kids Club, she thought it was the best thing ever and had loads of fun with the other kids. She loved it so much, she kept asking to go again and again.

The food was 'out of this world' and again, we were spoilt for choice where to eat! Being on the Serenity package was fantastic and we really loved the idea of not having to worry about extra costs. All the restaurants were brilliant, the staff were really friendly, always smiling and the service was excellent. My favourite was the pancakes that were served every afternoon! My husbands favourite was lunch at the Italian restaurant having 'catch of the day'! We both really enjoyed the cocktails late afternoon and my daughter loved having dinner at the main restaurant every evening as she got to choose what she wanted to eat!

All in all we had a truly amazing holiday and we wouldn't think twice about going back again or recommending it to other families.

It really was a FANTASTIC holiday at the Shandrani Hotel, thank you Beachcomber Tours for recommending it to our Travel Agent.

• Liked — The lovely spacious rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,391 reviews
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,368 reviews
Constance Le Prince Maurice
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!