“AVOID . . . Go Elsewhere - Very Bad Service”

La Rougaille Creole
Ranked #6 of 156 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID . . . Go Elsewhere - Very Bad Service”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I are seasoned travellers and this was our first trip to the Mauritius. We are always seeking great food from the place we travel and have found Trip Advisor to be an indispensable tool that is generally very accurate and reliable. I have decided that I should contribute to this valuable forum.

We went to La Rougaille Creole on both a recommendation from a local Mauritian, and after reading all the high praise on Trip Advisor. The food is indeed good, but this is spoiled by the RIDICULOUSLY SLOW and disorganised waiting staff. The restaurant is also quite hot and sticky . . . all the more reason sitting for extended periods unattended was unbearable and unacceptable. The good food does not come close to compensating for the extremely bad service.

We were seated immediately. Drinks were served and orders taken. My wife’s appetiser was served promptly (only because it was Bouillabaisse and already made). My appetiser was served 50 minutes after my wife had finished her appetiser. After I finished my appetiser, we sat unattended for an additional hour (our finished bowl and plate were still in front of us and our drinks were empty). I managed to signal to the waitress that we would like another round of drinks and this was acknowledged, but the drinks never arrived and the waitress never returned. She was running around, but doing who knows what . . . the restaurant was only ½ full and all the other diners looks equally miserable sitting there hot and unattended. What was it that the wait staff were so busy doing if they were not attending to the diners? We decided we were not prepared to wait any longer for either the waitress to come over (and bring the drinks we ordered but never received) or for our main courses to arrive. We got up and left. I can't remember the last time we walked out of a restaurant.

Having read the reviews, this restaurant does not deserve the high ratings. Good tasting food alone does not warrant a 4 or 5. The negative reviews of this place are quite accurate. I would like to give this place a 1 but that would be as inaccurate as the 4’s and 5’s, because the food is really good when it does arrive. In the end, and with all things considered, a 2 rating is very fair. Avoid this place. Save your time, money and patience and try one of the many other nearby options.

2 Thank Jon N

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“We enjoyed it”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Went on the recommendation of Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. A selection of fish, Creole food and curry. Tasty, reasonably priced with good service. The only surprise was I ordered stir fried crab. It was actually a full crab split into 4/5 pieces that came with pliers for me to dissect. Not what I was expecting and very messy. However, it tasted excellent.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very good price value balance”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Very good restaurant for good quality fish, Creole food and curry. There is a very friendly lady working there (think its the owner). We have been twice to this restaurant. First time taking curry meals, next time took the Capitaine fish. Both were very good prepared. The prices are very good for Grand Baie. The restaurant seems to be crowded every day, which is certainly not the case for most restaurants in Grand Baie.

Bruxelles
“Great food without the "tourist trap" feel...!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Mauritius where we booked a half board (breakfast & dinner) package at the Canonnier hotel , with the idea to go out everyday to eat lunch somewhere in Grand Baie (especially when the first day we had lunch at the hotel, and paid 300 rupies/each (7,20€!!) for a ham & cheese sandwiches...), A taxi driver took us & although it does not boast the best view in town, it does boast a simple yet complete (starters, main dish, fish, meat, curries & rougailles) creole/indian menu. What we loved about the place was the great presentation of the dishes, the quality of the seafood (fresh, fresh, fresh) & the price ! For the same price of a sandwich at the hotel, I had an octopus & eggplant curry ! We tried to go to another restaurant, just to see what else Grand Baie offered. Big mistake, huge !! The place we went to had loooong menus (hint: the longer the menu, the less fresh it will be) with similar dishes but at 2x the price !! Needless to say, we returned the next day & every day until our departure. I also celebrated my birthday there, and the hosts/owners, Sarah & Mike, did everything possible to make the dinner unforgettable, starting with the fish tartar, beautifully cooked lobster & impossible to resist homemade chocolate cake.

it is not a chic restaurant, it does not have a view to the sea, but if its good food you are looking for, look no more !! If you are planning to go at night, do reserve as it tends to be complete. My recommendations: octopus & aubergine curry, octopus salad & their fish tartar. Soups are good also as are their cocktails. Big plus: kids menu is very abundant and very balanced. And as someone else pointed out: their "rhum arrangé" (spiced rum) is a nice touch at the end of a delicious meal !!! An address to keep & share :D

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Bonvivantgal
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Our favourite restaurant in Grand Baie”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a down to earth restaurant serving traditional creole food. Lots of fish of course, and good creole curries. They did try to tempt us with an attractive looking lobster - but I have allergies which is lucky really as lobster can be an expensive habit. They brought out little fried aubergines with a mighty hot dip to nibble on while choosing - and at the end of the meal give you a little liqueur - freebies are always a nice touch. The restaurant itself is down a side street and its not the most beautiful restaurant ever, but worth hunting out - cab drivers know it.

The credit card statements are in from our holiday, and this was the cheapest so that is a bonus as Mauritius was a bit pricey.

• Visited September 2013