“Shark fin soup on the menu!”
Review of Palais De Chine

Palais De Chine
Ranked #58 of 172 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The food here, especially the dimsum and the Peking duck was outstanding. The service excellent, however, I wont be back until they take shark fin soup off the menu. Don't these people watch DSTV?

1  Thank Globetrottingagain

Reviewed 17 July 2012

....they serve Shark Fin Soup which is a big no-no for me. However the manager said he rarely serves it - once in last 6 months. The food was great and the waiters were very friendly but there wasn't enough of them to cope with the number of customers. The spirit measures were very small, in fact the smallest we've ever seen! We had a selection of starters followed by a peking duck which was fantastic. Main courses were plentiful but as they were closing for holiday the next day the selection was limited. Overall a good choice of Chinese restaurants in Grand Baie.

2  Thank JT S
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Good food, but very bad attitude of the owner...very badly treated will never go back there

Reviewed 29 January 2012

The food was very good, the service really good and the staff very friendly and helpful.
Would return.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I really liked Palais de Chine! The "live crab" sign drew me inside. True, the entrance is a bit dark and Chinatown storefront-ish, but once you get upstairs, it's cheery, (very) bright, and airy. Sitting on the terrace provides a great view of the ocean and a very good people-watching experience (The Chili-Fruit Man sells whiskey by the shot after hours!!). I picked my crab and headed upstairs. The crab I got was the crab I chose. No switcheroos! It was very well prepared to my specifications. The service was very good. They were very polite and helpful, offering good suggestions, and good familiarity with the menu and the chef's strengths and proclivities. Even when the restaurant became really, really full, the service was still exceptional and at no time did I feel rushed, even though I was solo and occupying a prime view table. Everything I ordered was very tasty - soup, appetizer (chili garlic pork was terrific!), vegetable, and crab! My only regret was that I was alone and couldn't order more!
The location is very convenient, in the heart of Grand Baie, amidst myriads of restaurants and shops and prices are reasonable.
No complaints specific to the restaurant, and would definitely recommend.