Merville Beach Review
The good and the not so good
The hotel is situated on a beautiful stretch of beach with calm waters ideal for children to swim in. The sunsets from the beach are pretty spectacular. The pool and bar area are also great. Most staff were friendly and helpful during the normal course of events but the minute there was an unusual request the attitude of some changed.
Wifi was flawless and available throughout the hotel and on the beach. This is a major plus!
We stayed in a Superior room which was comfortable and seemed to have recently been renovated. Our initial room was further back from the beach and the request to move to a room closer to the beach was handled professionally and in a friendly efficient manner.
The food was good. Breakfasts maybe a bit limited in choice. The lunch & dinner menus were also tasty and well prepared. Dessert left a lot to be desired though and in the time we were there most seemed stale and not fresh.
There were plenty of water sport options available included in the room fare. The snorkeling was great as there are plenty of fish to see along the reef.
The Not So Good
The loungers and beach towels need to be replaced. Cocktails at the bar are not up to standard with most being served in small glasses. The evening entertainment during dinner was seriously dated and made the dining experience less enjoyable. The buffet area is in need of an upgrade.
The hotel generally is in serious need of repair and maintenance. The internal garden where the superior rooms are located is neglected. Some water fountains are not working and the fish ponds need algae treatment. There is just one way to describe the hotel and that is "rundown" which is sad as it has huge potential. The state it's in detracts from the experience considerably.
This is unfortunately not a 3 Star that is aspiring to to be the best in its class or wanting to go to the next level! In fact I got the distinct feeling the establishment was moving in the opposite direction in standard and professionalism.
Would I stay here again? Unfortunately not, if these issues are not resolved and the downward trend reversed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merville Beach Hotel is situated on the north-west corner of Mauritius in Grand Baie, 20 minutes from the capital , Port Louis.All 221 rooms are in the 2 wings stretching from the main building in a slightly elevated position overlooking the bay. All rooms have a magnificent sea view. Direct dialing telephones, Radio, TV-video, Mini-bar, Safe Deposit box, Hair Dryer and Private Bathroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Merville Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merville Beach Grand Baie
- Hotel Merville Beach
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius/Grand Baie
- Merville Beach Mauritius