Before we booked I had an awful time getting Lux reservations to honour their best rate guarantee. They actually insisted I use any rate difference as a credit towards expenditure at the hotel! Wow. It took repeated emails to show them the way and eventually, thanks to one guy in reservations, they finally agreed to match the other rate offered.
Our sense of arrival was truly disappointing. The grounds are, to be honest, a mess. I saw a very competent landscape team doing a very good job on the grounds but, as an ex landscape designer, they desperately need a professional plan and design. The team are I am sure good enough to translate any such plan.
The lovely bright and new (?) reception area made up for the lack of any expenditure on the grounds. We had multiple issues with reception and this was not acceptable.
The long walk, past more awful landscaping and algae filled pools, to our room passed the full on service and delivery area and this is not a good idea at all. However we were very happy with our big and bright room on the ground floor a mere 20m from the lovely beach. The bathroom is dated but it works. More English entertainment channels would be welcome. WiFi was good enough.
Funny thing...the standard rooms nearly all have good sea view rooms while the more expensive rooms do not.
Plenty of good quality loungers on the beach but you walk a long way to get a towel. The swimming here is great as the beach slopes and even at low tide you have enough for a swim. Clean sand and no litter. We did not bother with the pool what with a lovely beach and warm water metres away.
A highlight is the excellently run restaurant and kitchens. The food, for a buffet, is well presented, with a choice that should suit everyone. I was very pleased to see so many chefs at fresh cooking stations and the food being regularly replenished and kept hot. There are theme nights. As you enter there is a blackboard which you can order from for the next day if you prefer not to choose the buffet. Another nice idea. Be careful...the price for beer and drinks is far too expensive. This needs looking at.
Breakfast has a very good selection with fresh juices, fruit, crisp breads, cooking station, etc.
We also ate on the beach and we did not enjoy this at all. Apart from the swarm of ants, reception gave us wrong (indeed no) information as to costs. We also had an unacceptable issue with a food item. The quality of the food for the beach dining is not of a good standard.
Overall we gave very good, even though we had issues, as they do say they are 3 star and the staff, mostly, are excellent. So for a 3 star it is very good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merville Beach Hotel is situated on the north-west corner of Mauritius in Grand Baie, 20 minutes from the capital , Port Louis.All 221 rooms are in the 2 wings stretching from the main building in a slightly elevated position overlooking the bay. All rooms have a magnificent sea view. Direct dialing telephones, Radio, TV-video, Mini-bar, Safe Deposit box, Hair Dryer and Private Bathroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Merville Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merville Beach Grand Baie
- Hotel Merville Beach
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius/Grand Baie
- Merville Beach Mauritius