“A Little Gem!”

Merville Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Grand Baie
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Fantastic hotel, stunning beach and wonderful staff. This is our 4 th visit to Mauritius, we usually go 4 * but needed to save money and go 3* star! I'm so glad we did. Ok the rooms and bathrooms need a little updating but no more than some of the 4* hotels we've stayed in the past. Food good and varied. Will happily return to this great little hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Alison D
Tony D, Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Mrs Alison,

I would like to thank you for choosing Merville Beach while being on holidays in Mauritius this time.

I am delighted to see that you were amazed by the hotel location and would like to thank you also for your appreciation towards our team members.

The room’s refurbishment is part of future projects; however we do ensure that all our rooms are well maintained and clean.

We would be more than happy to see you back again to our shores, in the meantime, do rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Like desi traveller 16, we also spent a week at the Merville Beach Hotel in May, on an all-inclusive basis. We were celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary, and took our daughter along for the holiday. We all really enjoyed that week. The rooms were comfortable and handily located near the super beach; the food and drink were very good, and all the staff were friendly and very helpful. Although we were off to Reunion for the actual "big day" on 20th May, the manager at Merville laid on a special evening meal for the three of us on 18th, with champagne in our rooms and a celebratory cake as afters! We had a great time at this hotel and despite the testing journey from Belfast/Dublin/Dubai/Mauritius, we are very tempted to return.

Room Tip: Go for a room on first floor with view of nearby small garden and then the beach!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian M

Dear Mr Brian,
I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us on the special occasion of your wedding anniversary.

I am so touched by the pleasing comments on our services and can assure you that no stone will be left unturned at Le Merville Beach in our efforts to continuously help people celebrate life.

I will be happy to see you back on a next trip to Mauritius and do rest assured of my personal attention at all times.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

RWe were there in September last year. We did not stay in the actual hotel, only had our breakfasts
Lunch and dinner and drinks there. Were incredibly blessed to get a chalet on the beach.
The beach is absolutely heavenly and there is also a large swimming pool at the hotel. Most water sports were free and there are several other activities to do. Food was awesome. Drinks exceptionally expensive. Paid for what you got! Staff very friendly and helpful.
Very humid that time of the year and hot. Does cool down in the evenings though, but still slept with the airconditioning on! Grand Baie I feel is the nicest side of Mauritius to be.
A fabulous place to stay and just switch off. Loved every minute of our stay there. (So much more can be said about this magnificent place ).

Room Tip: Try and get a chalet at the hotel. awesome- they are large,sunny and private. Very clean and servic...
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Deborah-Centurion
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our first visit to Mauritius & we stayed at Merville Beach Hotel for 7 nights in May. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and found it good value for money. The beach is lovely & great to swim in. Staff are all very friendly & couldn't do enough for you. Food is good & wine is also good quality as it is imported from South Africa. We stayed in Room 551 which had a sea view. There was a spa there but we didn't get a chance to use it. Water sports is great & free as it is all included in the price you have paid. The only improvement I would suggest is that they should offer cocktail of the day as part of the all inclusive package. We would certainly recommend this hotel - don't let the 3 stars put you off. We would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the old part - rooms 548 to 551 which all have sea views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony D, Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Sir / Madam,

I would like to thank you for staying at Merville Beach.

I am pleased to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that facilities and services offered were greatly appreciated.

I have taken note of your comment about the cocktail of the day; however I am pleased to inform you that we are working on a new implementation of the All Inclusive beverages in order to better serve our guests.

Thank you for highly recommending us and I cannot wait to see you back for another great moments.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We had a villa across the road but used the Merville Beach Hotel a few times as day visitors. It costs Rs360 and you get a coffee and pancake included in your ticket. Staff are friendly and there is a swimming pool, toilets etc at your disposal.

You can make use of the bar, restaurant and boat house but be prepared for the hotel prices.

It's a 3 star hotel which seems nice enough on surface and the small little beach was perfect for what we needed.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Babaloon

Sir / Madam,

I am delighted to read your very nice review even though you did not stay with us.

In regard to the prices; we do align ourselves with the prices charged by other hotels of the same category.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you for a stay during a next visit to Mauritius.

In the meantime, do rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Sincerely Always,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My partner and myself stayed here for 2 weeks at the start of May and had an amazing time! Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold drink and warm towel. The reception area was open and well lit and all the staff were very friendly. We were told upon arrival that they had upgraded us to a better room which mean we were now staying approximately 5 meters away from the beach! My girlfriend especially was overjoyed by this!!

The room - The room itself was very spacious and clean, the bedding seemed fresh and clean and they have a star plushy thing you can leave on the bed if you want your bedding changed. The bathroom again was clean and even had "his and hers" sinks which we thought was a nice touch. There was ample wardrobe and drawer space for both of us as well as a mini fridge and safe. One of the nicest things we noted was that even though we were not on all inclusive they provided a free bottle of water each day which was very helpful.

The beach - The beach along the Merville Hotel is broadly split into two areas, one outside the main hotel area where the boat house is and one further along. We mainly spent our time on the beach further down from the hotel. This beach was lovely and had a nice gradient leading into the sea, so no surprise dips. The water here is warm and clear, though for a few days it was cloudy due to some rough weather, and we had a lovely time swimming here. I should point out that some others we spoke to who stayed in the Grand Baie area mentioned sea urchins (which have a nasty sting) on their beaches, however we saw no sign of them at the Merville beach.

One slight annoyance with the beach is that they have licensed beach hawkers, who are definitely over priced. We were bothered a bit but once we bought something we were generally left alone. Unfortunately the beach sarong we bought for 400 rupees, we later saw in Port Louis for 100, so if you are going to travel around then you can get better deals.

The Boathouse - I wanted to put a special mention in for the boathouse staff who were very professional and kind. Myself and my girlfriend had never done many of the activities they offered and endeavored to try as many as possible. Unfortunately I will never be a professional water skier, but having the opportunity was great fun. Faisal (I hope I spelt it write) of the boat house was great, after an initial meeting with him where he just asked our names in passing, he remembered for the rest of the holiday and would often call out to us to say hello. All the boat house staff gave us great advice and were very patient with us. I would definitely recommend the sea kayaking!

Food - Being on half board, we generally ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel each day. Both breakfast and dinner are served in a buffet style with the option to go on a set menu for dinner. As others have stated the buffets are nice but work on a rotation so once you have been around once you might not feel like having it again. In our case we only had the set menu once and it was lovely. For the rest of our stay we found the buffet very nice and had good varied food. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard breakfast fare and was nice.

Excursions and activities - The hotel is at max, 10 minutes walk from Grand Baie and yet we were surprised to find many people seemed to take taxis there from the hotel, generally costing you about 100 rupees. If you don't want to walk you can take a bus, immediately outside the hotel which will run you about 25 rupees. There is also a large shopping center just outside of Grand Baie called La Croisette which again is easy to get to, you can take a free shuttle bus from Grand Baie.

We went on one all day boat trip from the hotel with the captain (whose name has momentarily slipped my mind, I'll update later). We had a wonderful time on the trip to Iles aux Cerfs and would definitely recommend it. We compared a couple of prices for the trip and found the price to be pretty much the same with our tour operator, though we might have been able to do it cheaper with some of the operators in Grand Baie.

The hotel also offers number of activities, in addition to the services in the boat house, which I mentioned above. One which we particularly enjoyed was the bike riding tour with Patrick (again I hope I have got the name right). He is a great guy and is involved with all the entertainment at the hotel. We found we were the only people on the bike ride tour and so when we booked for a second time he arranged a different route for us going to Mon Choisy.

If you want to travel a bit further afield to say Port Louis, you can take an express bus from Grand Baie for about 35 rupees, this bus also stops outside Pamplemousse gardens, which is a lovely excursion. A word to the wise about Port Louis, it is broadly divided into two areas, the touristy section at the water front and the more local market and bazaar nearer the bus station. If you do go into the bazaar be aware it can be a bit dim in there and there are pick pockets. Oddly enough our Mauritian aunt refused to go into the bazaar preferring to stay in the more touristy areas, though we had no trouble.

Entertainment - Each night they have an entertainment package on, such as traditional Sega dancing, or having live music or karaoke. Once a week they also set up a screen on the beach and project a movie, even bringing round fresh popcorn which we really enjoyed. We found the majority of the guests during our stay were french so the film was shown in french, though they did put on english subtitles. Cinema night was probably the highlight of the entertainment for us though they seemed to put on a good show every night. Once again this was organized by Patrick who was very friendly jovial.

All in all we found our stay very enjoyable, some have mentioned the dated appearance of some parts of the hotel, while true I didn't think it detracted from the experience at all really. In general the hotel has a very open feel to it and is very light. The dining area was nice with a small section for the pizzeria (highly recommended). Oh I almost forgot the bar staff who were great fun and very nice. In fact, what I would most like to recommend about the hotel is the sheer friendliness and professionalism of all the staff involved and that's what really made our stay here special.

Many thanks and I'm sure we will be back!

Rob and Nat

5  Thank Rob S

Dear Rob and Nat,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at Merville Beach during your stay in Mauritius.

I am pleased to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you have brought with you so many good memories.

We are all proud to have achieved our vision and purpose in “Making Each Moment Matter by Helping People Celebrate Life”, particularly Faizal and Patrick. Your praises can only motivate us to maintain and further improve our service.

However, I have noted with concern your comment about the Beach hawkers. This has been brought to the attention of the president of "Beach Hawkers Association" in order to take the appropriate actions.

I do value your patronage and do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Mauritius where I shall be glad to personally look after your stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed with my GF for a week.
Amazing location right on a clean clear beach
Great cocktails and food was top quality for a buffet, great choice everyday
Be care with booking trips, hotel is quite expensive but at least you have a point of contact should anything go wrong.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Clean decent size pool
Very quiet in May, weather is ok expect a few showers though.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Adriaan,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at Merville Beach together with your girlfriend.

I am delighted to see that you were amazed by the location and that the food & the cocktails were greatly appreciated.

Your recommendation goes straight to our heart and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a not too far future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Baie
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Merville Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!