“Awesome Beach Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Grand Baie
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome Beach Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Extraordinary resort in Mauritius' best beach, Grand Bay. Fabulous service and people, with great amenities and pricing. We had a fabulous couple of nights here. I have not seen staff so willing to go the extra mile to make you comfortable. The GM of the hotel is hands on all the time, I saw him keeping an eye on operations on multiple occasions. Thank you all for a great experience...we will certainly be back.
Jyoti Srinivas and family.

Stayed August 2014
Tony D, Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Dear Mrs Srinivas and Family,

I would like to thank you for staying at Merville Beach.

Words are not enough to express our gratitude in regard to your praises mentioned above.

I shall without further delay pass on your kind remembrance to the team and will not miss to congratulate all for them for having taken great care of you.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcome you back to Mauritius and to Merville Beach.

Sincerely Yours,

Tony Duval.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

My client picked the hotel for me. I was travelling alone and was conscious that I was in a leisure resort.
Any reservations soon disappeared when the team made me confortable "dining for one". I was our early and back late so don't know what the place was like during the day. My experiences were breakfast ( great selection), dinner ( menu changed daily but buffet. Would have liked a table service option) and sleep ( room was comfortable. It had the usual smelly shower curtain problem - why can hotels not deal with this ? ). Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank JohnCrawleyTFE
Dear Mr Crawley,

It was a pleasure having you at Merville Beach Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that the team went out of their way to ensure you felt comfortable at the hotel.

However, I feel really sorry if we fail to inform you about the “Table D’hôte” menu which is available everyday for dinner. Appropriate actions have been taken in order to ensure proper information is being communicated to our guests.

I have also noted with concern your comment about the smelly shower curtain problem and together with the concerned team we are looking into the matter.

Thank you for highly recommending us and we all look forward to welcome you back, hopefully this time on holidays.

In the meantime, do rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Sincerely Always,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Well my wife and I are on our last day at the Merville Beach Hotel and I can honestly say we have had an amazing time. My wife and I have been fortunate to visit various countries and we have stayed in some great hotels; however, our experience at the Merville Beach Hotel has been second to none. On arriving at the hotel we were met by the Reception Team who could not have been more welcoming, which was appreciated after such a long journey, we were welcomed with a drink and a flannel, which was lovely. I had numerous reasons to liaise with the Reception Team during our stay and they always went the extra mile to assist me. The Garden Bungalow was superb - exceptionally clean and well maintained with a lovely view of the garden and beach. The room was cleaned every day by friendly staff who always asked if the room was okay. On my wife's birthday and our anniversary we were welcomed with swan towels and flowers which were just a lovely touch. When leaving or returning to the hotel the security/concierge staff were always welcoming - they wanted to know if they could help us with anything and they loved to have a chat with you. The grounds of the hotel are exceptionally well maintained - it is obvious that the maintenance and cleaning team stay on top of the intricate detail. As for the the food and the waiting staff I can only say they were brilliant. It is appreciated that it is not easy catering for everybody's needs and expectations, but in my opinion the food was very good and we had no complaints - there is a concerted effort to change the menu with some excellent theming too. The Chefs are always available on hand checking everything and they will cater, as far as is possible, to your needs, should you require a alternative menu. The waiting team have been amazing - although all the team were great we would specially mention Krishna, Khailash and Anascia as they served us more frequently and they went the extra mile to help. We went on 2 boat trips with the Boat House team. We went to swim with the dolphins and see the whales, and we visited Flat and Gabriel Islands where we snorkelled in some amazing waters - it was like swimming in a tropical fish tank. These trips were exceptionally well organised and the team were more than willing to ensure you had a great trip - we did actually see the whales which was breathtaking. The Boathouse Team under the management of Fazal were brilliant - they were more than willing to teach you to Sail, windsurf and ski; however I think I need more sailing lessons when I get home if I am to not capsize - Fazal I promise I will listen to your advise when trying to right the boat! In summary the Hotel Manager and his management team were always at hand if you had any concerns. All the staff are proactive and they really want to ensure you have a memorable time - we certainly have not been disappointed. A 5 star hotel with 5 star staff in our opinion. Thank you to everybody.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony D
Dear Mr Anthony,

I would like to thank you and your wife for staying at Merville Beach.

I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Your thoughtful recognition towards our team member’s effort is mostly appreciated and I wish to thank you on their behalf.

I can assure you that no stone will be left unturned at Le Merville Beach in our efforts to continuously help people celebrate life.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius and Merville Beach for another amazing time.

Yours faithfully,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is our fourth visit to Mauritius and to this resort. We have returned to Merville beach every time because of the staff. Their friendliness and customer service is second to none. Having worked with an airline for over 15 years we have stayed at various resorts but this place makes me feel like I am coming to my second home. The staff are welcoming, the can do attitude filters through from the restaurant staff to the gift shop and reception. My husband and I love this place so much and look forward to returning next year!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank Tara B
Tony D, Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Mrs Tara,

It is always a pleasure welcoming you and your husband each time at Merville Beach.

The whole team and I are so touched by your charming comments for which we are thankful.

The satisfaction of our guests remains our priority and we are delighted to learn that’s what you are experiencing while being on holiday with us.

We cannot wait to welcome you back to your Mauritian home.

In the meantime, do rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Yours Sincerely,
Grand Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We could feel that the staff was happy to work there and they strived to make our stay as happy as they could! Excellent service, efficient problem solving and so many extra miles...Bravo et merci!We also had a lovely spa experience at the sound of the waves while our kids were having good fun with the kids' club.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Thudeo R
Dear Mr Thudeo,

I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us recently.

We are all delighted reading your very nice review and we take pride in the delivery of the experience offered to you and your family in achieving our Vision and Purpose of making each moment matter through helping our guests celebrate life.

I confirm that the spa experience is not to be missed! Nothing but the sound of the waves and the ocean views are enough make you feel totally relaxed.

We all trust to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family back again on a next trip to Mauritius and in the meantime, do rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Yours Sincerely,
Tony Duval
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very well maintained, okay a little out dated decor in parts, but still very clean and welcoming.
The boat house offers a large selection of complimentary watersports, and also paid activities as well. Waterskiing as a highlight for me, along with the kayaking and snorkelling (all complimentary). We also went on a speedboat around the coast further north and were able to see more of the northern side of the island.
Now the food. The only meal that was edible was breakfast, with a wide selections of different foods. The evening meal was awful, there so much choice, that they couldn't make a single decent dish. There were too many things that the chefs had to do, do they couldn't make a decent dish.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam K
Dear Mr Sam,

I would like to thank you for staying at Merville Beach.

I have noted with concerned your comment about the hotel being partly outdated, which will be considered during our next refurbishment project. Meanwhile, as you did mention, we do ensure that the hotel is spotless clean.

The boathouse team is delighted to learn about your appreciation regarding the activities offered for which they are thankful.

However, I wish to apologize if we fail to meet up with your expectation in regard to the evening food. I have personally discussed and analyzed your comment with our Chef and do rest assured that appropriate actions have been taken to review some food items available on our buffets’ menu. On the other hand, we do provide as an option to the buffet itself, a menu which is served at table upon guest's request, at no extra cost. This menu is written on a black board at the main entrance of the restaurant, which I presume you did not pay attention.

Furthermore, our chef being always present in the restaurant would have been so happy to prepare your evening meals as per your preferences.

I sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance to visit us again, during which, I would very much appreciate you contact me personally so that I may introduce you to our chef for your meals arrangements.

In the meantime, do rest assured of my personal attention at all times.

Sincerely Always,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The staff were very always very friendly and helpful and despite arriving early morning our room was ready and available to us - which after travelling for more than 18 hours was much appreciated. The room we had was very nice with a great view over the beach and ocean. A good location with a very nice beach which is very well maintained with a very good range of complimentary water sport options. The buffet food was in general of a good standard although I think if they concentrated on offering less choice then probably they could improve further. The hotel was spotlessly clean but the décor was looking in need of refreshment in places. We stayed for 16 nights and we found the evening entertainment rather monotonous, although we realise there were a lot of children and people of different tastes to try to accommodate. The free Wifi strength in our room was sporadic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony D, Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Mr Howard,

It was a real pleasure having you at Merville Beach Hotel.

The team and I appreciate your encouraging comments for which we feel really touched and motivated to do even better.

Do rest assured that I have noted with concern your comment about the food and I shall personally look into the matter with our Chef in order to better satisfy our guests.

Thank you for your comment about the hotel in need of refreshment, we will certainly consider the latter during our future refurbishment project.

Your comment about the band being monotonous has been addressed to the band leader in order to enhance our performance for the pleasure of all our guests indistinctly.

However, I am happy to inform you that the necessary has been done in regard to the wifi signal.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too far distant.

Until then, please accept my warmest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Baie
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Friday Attitude
Friday Attitude
#1 of 8 in Trou d'eau Douce

Been to Merville Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!