“A glorious piece of beach”

Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Trou aux Biches
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel is stunning. The layout and set-up really are awesome. Perhaps this is because it has all been newly rebuilt, but it just works.

A few of the many highlights: the beds are comfy, the bathrooms are beautiful, the gardens are impeccable, the pools are stunning and the stretch of beach is clean and (despite the coral, which makes it hard to walk on for little feet,) simply endless. Some of the restaurants are incredible and well worth the extra calories! The staff are generally very helpful and friendly, despite a language barrier at times.

A few cons: the restaurants fill up quickly, so it is advisable to book as early as possible. The floor boards around the pool and on the walkways are very slippery when it rains; they havent been sawn correctly for inclement weather. Swimming at the beach is really limited to a small area and there are far too many boats whizzing by. The housekeeping is not always consistent and predictable, on some days it was done early and thoroughly, on others, it was done quite late in the day and very minimally.

Every one will tell you that Mauritius can be very pricy and we found this to be the case, but we took some of our own hard tack from duty free and bought mixers (and bottled water) from the local supermarket which is literally down the road (walking distance).

Le Deck - the supposed seafood specialist among the six restaurants at TAB was very disappointing and overpriced. We had the 'chefs special seafood platter' and it was overcooked, minimalist and massively overpriced at around USD100.

La Carvelle was amazing and when we had dinner there a-la carte, as well as lunch there a-la carte, we all thoroughly enjoyed our food. My husband and I ate Creole seafood dishes for lunch and they were outstanding. the dinner menu held real gems of Duck L'Orange and Prawns with Ravioli that were outstanding.The Pizzas are good as well. Salads quite leafy though. And the best spot for breakfast.

L'Oasis was pretty good, but quite standard. Good breakfast there though and amazing staff.

Blue Ginger was an amazing Thai food experience.

Mahiya was outstanding. The manager, Leckraj, went out of his way to make it an incredible experience for us; even arranging special bindis for the ladies. The food was fragrant and spicy but really not hot. Delicious and the best culinary experience at the hotel.

Il Corallo was also pretty amazing. Here, the manager, Anwar (I think?) was also exceptionally trained and made our evening one we will not easily forget. The menu was not predictably or traditionally Italian, but what we ate was scrumptious.

The lunch time vendors on the golf carts also delivered simple, good food, along the beach. Burgers were particularly tasty.

The Spa was really beautiful, although it was very full and it was difficult to make a booking. I would suggest that they extend the hours. The beauticians were polite and well trained.

the Kids club offered a lovely escape to my eldest daughter, who was almost three. She went there with a nanny - who was incredible. Her name was Nazima. It was great to have somewhere to send her when the rain set in, which is sadly what happened for two days.

We loved the boat excursion along the coast but due to the weather couldn't explore the reefs at all.

Overall, we had a wonderful trip. We stayed in a Family suite and loved the space for our children (three years and ten months). Our colleagues stayed in a beach front suite with a pool and I am glad we were tucked away from the beach front. I felt the children were safer without a pool on our doorstep (as they cant yet swim) and also from prying eyes who can see into most of the beach front suites, although they are beautiful and very luxurious.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 335 - great area as it was close to everything and quite private. It was close to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carriig_GH

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I spent the honeymoon and loved the place - beautiful beach with marvelous accommodation!
Resort with many activities (almost all of the value included in the accommodation), good food and gentle people.
The heaven!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I arrived on 3 September for 10 nights at Trou Aux Biches.

We stayed in a Tropical Junior Suite. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. At first we thought we would regret not having a booked a beachfront suite- but as we are very private people we found that unless you were very careful about positioning, we were happy we were not in one! They face straight onto the pathway, and so privacy we feel is compromised there.

The food was great, if a little bland at time for our palates. Favourites being Italian, The Deck and La Caravelle. The Indian and Thai, while lovely venues, were a little restrictive as you had to have a set menu.

The beach is phenomenal, and we found the weather to be wonderfully warm, but not overly hot.

We had 3 spa treatments and would highly recommend the spa! Would happily return....

Overall, the staff were wonderful, and could not be faulted.

1  Thank JenK830
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I'm not going to tell you all the good things about this hotel. There is little more to say that others haven't. I am happy to agree with all contributors who have commented on the fantastic rooms, pleasant, helpful staff, superb beach and gardens etc etc.
Points that I do think are worth noting are as follows:

Breakfast - seems less of a bustle in La Caravelle with a beautiful view of the beach
Lunch - only ate once in the hotel. Instead head down the beach towards Trou aux Biches and at the Embarkation Point you will find a number of street food sellers. Most days we had a couple of dishes and a drink each for £5 - great fresh food and nice to meet and chat with locals.
Dinner - Best restaurant was Mahiya (but only if you like Indian food I guess!). I was concerned before going that I would encounter many dishes with a supplement. Whilst it is true that some dishes did have a supplement, it was very easy to choose good dishes without. With regard to the supplements, I have to say some seemed a bit petty. We only had a couple and I recall the supplement was £4/5 for the dish. Given the cost of the resort it seems a little churlish. At the other end of the scale were Lobster night (by recollection a £60 supplement) and a fish platter with an £80 platter - didn't see too many people partaking.

Restaurant booking - the idea is that you book restaurants in advance. When we were there the resort was quite quiet but it still put people into a bit of a spin if you just arrived to ask for a table. When occupancy is higher I guess that without booking they could not accommodate at the smaller restaurants and you would have to fall back on the larger buffet facility. There is a useful plan of which restaurant is open which day - I would advise forward planning to ensure you get your preferred choices.

Excursions - went on a catamaran trip from Grand Baie. Marketed as 'lunch on a desert island'. No surprise to find that we were one of about 10 boats, each with 30-40 people aboard. It was busier than our own beach! Still a nice day out and at £40 per person including lunch and drinks, not bad value.

Bar - There is no real bar at the hotel. There are two bars but you can't really sit at either. I missed the opportunity to go for an early evening beer, perhaps meet someone for a chat, watch a bit of sport etc. We did go for a drink one night around 5.30 to watch the sun go down and we were the only customers. I think the bar staff found it strange we were even there. If a bar scene is important to you - be aware.

Drinks - As we were HB, almost all our spend was on drinks. As many have said, prices are on the high side. Beer at £4 for a 330ml can and £10 for a G+T seems on the high side. Again a short walk into Trou aux Biches gives the opportunity to buy chilled drinks at more reasonable rates (6 beers for around £5). If the hotel want to keep prices at this level, I can only assume they expect some to go elsewhere. Had the prices been £2 for a beer for example, not sure I would have bothered. We also took a bottle of spirits via duty free and the room has very nice glassware available. Only had to buy the tonic!

The bedroom - best I have ever stayed in (junior beachfront with pool). Fantastic bathroom, large uncluttered bedroom, decking and pool to die for.

Taxis - cost of taxis organised via the hotel seems high. Cost £40 for a round trip to Port Louis. I would be interested to know the cost if you went into Trou aux Biches to grab a cab.

WiFi - Painfully slow to almost non existent. It is however free and I would imagine over time they will improve it.

I could go on but guess those are the main points. Anything which appears a little negative above is not supposed to detract from what is a fabulous resort which truly deserves 5 stars. I would happily return at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: I would go in the middle so that everything is equidistant to reach. We were in block 300 which was...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OldLanghoTraveller
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to experience a luxurious, relaxing, peaceful holiday on a beautiful beach in an immaculate resort.

We stayed in this hotel for a week in September (wish it was for longer than that) and it was recommended to us by the Governor of Mauritius. The experience from the time we set foot into the reception for checking-in to the time we checked-out was out of this world simply great.

We were given drinks on arrival and sat down by the reception where the lady came to greet us and tell us about the room. We got there quite late so she explained about the restaurants and the time until which they served food.

The Resort: We are vegetarian and could not really eat much in the buffet. The only place that did good Vegetarian food was the Indian restaurant called Mahiya. The manager, Fatima, was very understanding and she actually booked us for all 7 nights into the Indian restaurant. The personalisation didn't end there....the head chef of Mahiya, came over to our table on our first night and ask what our favourite vegetables/dishes were. He then prepared a special menu for us for the remainder of our nights. Call about going an extra mile for the customer...this was unbelievable. We were also given a fantastic cake on our anniversary which was an unexpected but again a very nice gesture. I cannot praise the staff at Mahiya enough as they made our stay extra special.

The director of the resort, would make sure that she has a word or two with the customers, taking feedback and checking if everything was OK so she gets all the information first hand. The staff was very friendly and the level of service was excellent. The resort deserves the 5+ star rating that it has got and maybe more.

The resort is very big with around 800 staff members, lot of palm trees with coconuts, I'd say 5 trees per metre probably :-). And the beauty is that it doesn't really feel that it is crowded at any given point in time. Be it at the beach, at he restaurants or at the buffet. As there is a lot of greenery around, the atmosphere is very tranquil, peaceful and calming. There is one large swimming pool for adults and kids in the centre of the resort and another 4-5 big swimming pools for every 20-30 rooms. So you will never be short of one.

The Beach: We were on a beach-front villa and the views from the room were absolutely stunning and out of this world. Just waking up to that every morning made our trip worthwhile. The beach was cleaned first thing every morning which was good. There were a couple of staff members allocated to each small portion of the beach. They stand at the back all day, with a trolley full of drinks and snacks. They would move your sun lounger and offer general help without you having to ask. There is a guy called Rishi, near rooms 100-300 who was very helpful and takes great photographs :-)

The room: As we were on our wedding anniversary trip, we were greeted to a bottle of wine and a basket of fruit. The room itself was in an immaculate condition. The bedsheets, towels were all very neat and clean and the room was set up to a very high standard. The size is amazing and huge glass doors give you a great view of the beach from the bed. The bathroom shower(s) were a great feature. Both the indoor and outdoor shower were great. Turn down service and the room service in general was very excellent.

The plunge pool and the outside sitting area were fabulous. The water in the plunge pool was continuously being filtered so was clean and the fact that you can just sit there with a drink overlooking the sea was quite something.

Mauritius: The place is amazing. We went on a guided tour with a guy called Satish. He works in the resort but does this sight seeing tours on the side as well. We went with him for a day and saw the natural beauty of the island. He was very great and I would definitely recommend doing a tour with him when you are out there.

It was the best holiday that we have ever been and would definitely go back. Even now when I go to bed and wake up the scene of the beach flashes in front of my eyes.

Room Tip: Room Tip: If you are going for the beach-front villa with pool then I would recommend the room num...
1  Thank Mayank S
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We booked our Honeymoon through a fantastic travel company called Angelfish Travel who are a small independent tour operator specialising in luxury travel. I dealt mainly with Sam who was fantastic, so knowledgable and helpful , 10 out of 10 Sam for patience , as I did look at several options !! We decided on a Honeymoon in Mauritius , staying at Trou Aux Biches with a few nights at the end of our honeymoon at 20 degrees sud.from the moment we arrived at TAB we loved the hotel.fantastic location ,beautiful well kept grounds and a wonderful long sandy beach fringed with palm trees .we stayed in the tropical junior suite which we would recommend , very spacious indeed and well equipped.The staff at this hotel were excellent, they were always happy to help you and really were outstanding in every way , service , attitude you couldn't fault them.all in all we loved every aspect of our stay at this fabulous hotel.would we return ?.....in a heartbeat !! 20 degrees sud, that's another matter for another review.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Brace yourselves, this is going to be a lengthy review. There is a lot to say! I will start by saying we had an amazing time; from the moment we arrived to our departure.
Check in and check out were a piece of cake. We were welcomed with fruit skewers/citrus drink and a fresh hand & face towel. We were seated in the lounge/lobby area and waited for the front desk to check us in.The process was quick and efficient. The check out was just as easy. They kindly let us keep our room until our transfer to another Beachcomber hotel (1pm).

Our tropical junior suite was beautiful; tastefully decorated and very spacious. We had a big comfortable bed, a large desk, a chill zone with a table and two chairs,a lovely patio with a table and two sun loungers, and a big HD TV.
The room's best feature was the bathroom. It had a huge bathtub, his and hers sinks, an indoor shower and an outdoor tropical shower. In one corner we had a large dressing and a safe. It was also equipped with a mini bar.
We didn't take anything out of the mini bar as prices were rather high. E.g: a 5cl Bombay Sapphire bottle was 360 rp/ €8.
Minor con: the very slow internet.

The resort is equally beautiful. The property's impeccably groomed gardens are full of exotic plants, vast flower beds, huge palm trees. The resort underwent a makeover a few years ago and it really shows. Everything is new and shiny. There is also a crazy amount of staff on the property constantly cleaning, doing maintenance work and generally ensuring the well-being of its guests.

The staff does an OUTSTANDING job; very attentive and seriously hard working. You will not meet one person who isn't willing to help you out. We were very appreciative of the amount of smiles received.
Special thanks to: Natanielle (customer service), Menon and Vinai (La Caravelle), Hans and Sailesh (The deck), Leckraj (Mayiha) and Didier (Blue Ginger).

There's one main pool, which is by the Deck and the Oasis. However each crescent has its own pool, which maximises chances of peace and quiet. There is an abundance of sun loungers on the beach and by the pools. So no worries you won't have to fight for one.
Speaking of the beach; Trou aux biches has one of the most beautiful in the world. Breathtaking. White sand and turquoise water. The staff cleans the beach in the early hours of the morning and removes the dead coral so no need for beach sandals to enter the sea.
There is enough shade for everyone. You'll always find a staff member on site to order a refreshing beverage or a snack.

Foodwise we were overall very satisfied. Here are our thoughts on the different restaurants:
L'Oasis (International- breakfast/lunch/dinner)- buffet that offers a wide variety of cuisines. I would recommend going when they're having a mauritian night. We loved it! We discovered many delicious local dishes.
Il Corallo (Italian- dinner only)- great selection of tasty antipasti, good main courses (lasagna and chicken), dessert average (tiramisu).
La Caravelle (International- breakfast/lunch/dinner)- we had breakfast and lunch there everyday. Great breakfast buffet. Lunchtime menu offers salads, pasta, pizza, paninis, mauritian/indian dishes (tandoori, curry,etc...), vegeratian food. Never disappointed.
The Deck (International- lunch/dinner)- had lunch there once, wasn't bad but wasn't memorable. However dinner was amazing. Top notch ingredients and creative cooking.
Blue ginger (Thai- dinner only)- set menu. Too copious for us, which meant we didn't really savour the food and felt a bit sick by the end of the meal.
Mayiha (Indian- dinner only)- set menu. The best restaurant of the hotel. We discovered many new flavours. We very much enjoyed the dining experience.
Drinks are not included in the full board or half board. 1L sparking water 120 rp/€3 - 1L mineral water 100 rp/ €2.50
Somes dishes have a supplement. E.g la caravelle at lunch Langouste 1500 rp/€37- Il Corallo langouste 2500 rp/€61.

The hotel has a Clarins Spa. We went for a couple's massage. Lovely experience.

The one and only MAJOR con was the beach vendors. The beach is public. There are 36 beach vendors roaming the beach at all time of the day. A 'no thank you' will suffice for some. Others will harrass you relentlessly. They will spot you by the colour of your pale, sun deprived skin. They will only give you prices once you've finally accepted to buy something. Once you've bought something from someone, you'll have a queue of vendors expecting you to buy something too. And when you don't, they will NOT be happy and sometimes will insult you profusely (Dani with the mustache, Anam, Lulu, Loulou).
The worst one was Anam (large hat covered in fake flowers). He came to see us three/four times a day. He once chased us into the water, demanding that we get out to buy something. Even once we had bought bracelets and sea shells from him, he continued to come at us on a daily basis. He also ripped us off. But that's part of the game isn't it?
The nice vendors were Morice and John with the swiss cap.

We had a wonderful time and will forever remember our week at Trou aux Biches.

Visited from 11-19th September 2013.

Room Tip: Tropical junior suite 607. Very close to the beach and crescent pool. A short walk to la Caravelle a...
3  Thank Alexandra B
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!