We spent new year 2013/14 here with our children. It was our first trip to Mauritius and we we looking forward to some winter warmth. The resort is on the opposite side of the island to the airport which is a further 1hour 20mins after a long flight which we could have done without.
When we arrived we were exhausted. We went straight to our suite, which was lovely. 2 bedrooms well spaced apart, 2 bathrooms and 3 showers (including an outdoor one). We were initially nervous when we realised the sheer scale of the place - so many hotels / resorts seem to fail at scale. That afternoon the person who cleaned our room introduced themselves to us and explained they would take care of our suite for the whole holiday and asked us if we had any special preferences - a really nice touch.
However - when we went to the buffet restaurant for the first time, we were stunned at the quality of the food and the friendliness of the service. Buffet normally means pre-prepared food under hot lamps. Here - virtually all dishes were cooked in front of you. No expense was spared with incredible sea-food and all sorts of salads, fruits, meats and fishes.
There are 6 restaurants in all. All of them have authentic chefs and change their menus every 3 days. One of our complaints about spending any length of time in a resort is the desire for a change of scene / cuisine. Here, there was never a need to leave the resort (although we did feel guilty for seeing so little of the island).
All suites and villas are well spaced and the feeling of seclusion and privacy is extremely well achieved through grouping of about 10 villas around their own pool. No room is more than about a minute's walk from the main beach - a 2 mile bay of beautiful coconut palmed white sand beach with a reef about 200m from the beach.
Each day we took our 6 and 4yr old snorkelling on the reef - initially beach side an then ocean side. It had taken a battering from a cyclone but was still beautiful with all the typical tropical fish, eel and snake varieties.
The resort also has 6 tennis courts a huge gym, table tennis tables and all sorts of other activities. Quite often the owner would approach you at lunch or dinner, just to check how your stay was and whether everything was working out as you had planned.
All staff were excellent. Any special requests that cropped up were always handled impeccably and nothing was too much trouble.
The only disappointment was the kids club. Whilst the staff in there were all friendly enough and it seemed well equipped, it operated more as a holding pen than proactively engaging children and getting them all to play together. They spent most of their time handling boisterous children and so we didn't use it after the first time. However, the babysitters are happy to meet you at the restaurants and then take your children back to your villas which worked perfectly.
All in all it was the best family holiday we have had to date and worth the gruelling flight with small children. But then for the price, it should have been.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The most romantic hotel in Mauritius A strip of white sandy beach, a turquoise lagoon with crystal-clear waters, a 35-hectare tropical garden...These are some of the timeless charms of Trou aux Biches Resort & Spa, a luxury hotel in Mauritius. Its situation on the north west coast of Mauritius ensures one of the best climates and provides the perfect setting for dramatic sunsets. With its romantic atmosphere, Trou aux Biches provides the idyllic setting you have been dreaming of for your perfect wedding and honeymoon in Mauritius. Accommodation is housed in lavish chalet-style suites built in crescents while private villas are tucked among the lush tropical gardens. With an emphasis on environmental preservation, Trou aux Biches is the first eco-friendly resort in Mauritius, while providing the latest in luxury focusing on privacy, space and diversity. All Villas, Beach Front Suites and Senior Beach Front Suites have private pools. Other suite categories open onto larger pools of 126 m2, centred at the heart of each crescent. The hotel also has a large pool designed as a key feature in the main areas. Reserved for children aged 3 to 12, the mini-club also has its private pool. Wherever you are, the sea is never too far, beckoning you to relax in warm, crystal-clear waters. Trou aux Biches Resort & Spa has six restaurants named L'Oasis, La Caravelle, Le Deck, Blue Ginger, Mahiya and Il Corallo. Enjoy a world of flavours sourced from the far end of Asia to the shores of the Mediterranean sea. Other facilities at the resort include a luxurious Spa by Clarins with 20 cabins, a teens club as well as a range of free land and water sports. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trou Aux Biches Resort And Spa
- Trou Aux Biches Hotel Trou Aux Biches
- Trou Aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa Mauritius