“Would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely, without any hesitation.”
Review of Tropical Attitude

Tropical Attitude
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely, without any hesitation.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Reading through the other recent reviews there’s many great positive comments, all of which are absolutely spot-on. The staff are definitely the stars of the show. In their easy-going friendly Mauritian way they are genuinely concerned that all is good for their guests in every single respect.

There are some older reviews which voice reservations about the choice/quality of the food. I can only comment that I was certainly very well satisfied and found the spreads great with plenty of options, fresh and well presented. This is a small hotel (its great attraction in my book) and therefore there must be limitations on scope. However with fresh salad/cold pasta/rice bar, soup of the day, choice of 5-6 main dishes and similar choice for deserts, special dinners, themed evenings etc., I would rate that as pretty damned good. (Be afraid, be very afraid of the innocuous looking bowl of green chilli sauce – it’ll blow you socks off!). If you expect 3* Michelin and/or a US diner-style 24/7 trough-fest I would say ‘get real’.

Watered down drinks? I think not. Having had some considerable experience in this particular field I can assure our readers that this is not the case and I perhaps took a less than direct route back to our room on more than one occasion.

Many people mention individual members of staff and that may seem unfair because there is a veritable army beavering away in the background who shouldn’t be overlooked. However….Christophe, Hugo; you were both great and Benedicte, the wonderful Benedicte, who can sort anything and everything.

Enough about the hotel, read others’ comments about the rooms, fabulous views, the great *free* daily boat trips to the idyllic Isle de Cerfs (the no.1 attraction in Mauritius) etc. etc.

Out & about
Walk down short drive (where there’s always taxis available if you need), turn left and it’s a ten minute walk until you get to the outskirts of Trou d’eau Douce – a fascinating picturesque, friendly, colourful little town with supermarkets, shops, quaint restaurants and bars interspersed with ramshackle residential areas. This is certainly a genuine Mauritian village and definitely not ‘Touristville’ (though you can purchase your obligatory Dodo carving / soft toy / beachbag / keyring / playing cards, if you so desire). The sole ATM is a further 10 minutes into the village, on the roundabout.

Back to the hotel driveway and at the end there is a bus-stop with busses to Flaque – the local ‘big town’. Busses pass by every half hour(ish). No-one appears to know whether they are on the hour, on the quarter or whenever. Just every half an hour(ish). Only a few pennies to get to Flaque (20 minutes) but well worth the experience of the market (Wednesdays & Sundays). The market is right outside the central bus-station, absolutely huge and caters mainly for the local population with loads of fresh food, clothing, textiles, hardware (and more bloody dodos). The clientele is 99% local and you don’t get hassled at all.

We (twice) did the catamaran cruise which was great value through the tour company (£24/head). Consists of a couple of hours of leisure on Isle de Cerfs, up the coast & transfer to a small boat for the waterfall (& fruit bats, macaque monkeys), out to the reef & anchor for an inclusive onboard BBQ & snorkelling (equip provided), before heading for home. Copious amounts of drink (alcoholic & otherwise) available free throughout.

Also did a very full day tour of the south of Mauritius and saw a great many fabulous sights. This trip a group of us did off our own back for very little money. Ask me if you want more details.

Apologies for the ramble but I could go on for hours. All in all, could not fault the hotel in any respect. Made many great friends and had memorable times which will stay with us for years.

Would I go back? No. Regretfully, there are too many other places in the world to see (without dodos).

Would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely, without any hesitation.

Room Tip: All rooms great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Tim D
H0tels_Management, General Manager at Tropical Attitude, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Tim,

I strongly believe that your recommendation would definitely be considered for future guests who are planning their stay at Tropical Attitude.

It was a real pleasure for me and all the “Family Members” to extend our Mauritian hospitality to you during your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best personal regards,

Mervin Appadu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rickmansworth
Reviewed 5 August 2014

People and location: The staff of the hotel are excellent and go out of their way to make sure you are welcome, comfortable and have everything you need. They are respectful and friendly - it is impossible to single out one member of staff because they all contributed to a fantastic holiday. Because of this atmosphere, we met some lovely people amongst the other guests at this small and friendly hotel - we had a great time!
The location: the dining room has amazing views over the lagoon, Ile aux Cerfs and hills and all bedrooms have sea views. This is the quieter and windier side of the island. If you turn left along the beach and walk along, there is one beautiful beach after another - our favourite (apart from l'Ile aux Cerfs) was the blue boat bay which was in the lee of the wind.
Another tip: use the hotel bikes, buses and the local taxis, They are great fun, but also more reasonable than the set tours - and the Mauritians are so friendly

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JudyRickmansworth
Dear guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review and your kind words on our “Family Members”.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future again,

Kindest regards,

dubai
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were a party of 23 for our daughter's wedding. From the minute we set foot in the hotel we were welcomed. Met after a very long flight with towels and drinks, our bags were taken to our rooms and we were checked in immediately. Rooms are basic but SO clean and all have a beach view. Beach towels are provided and the room staff are doing a fantastic job ensuring that rooms are cleaned daily to a very high standard. All rooms also have their own balcony/patio with sun loungers and there are plenty loungers along the beach front as well as around the pool.
The staff are extremely helpful, going out of their way to ensure that we had a wonderful stay and that our daughter and son in law had the perfect wedding. Benedict was lovely. She went out of her way to price, organise and ensure that the wedding my daughter and son in law wanted was the one they actually had. Thank you.
Ruben, who made the all important wedding cake, is SO talented! My daughter asked for a chocolate cake and an extremely tasty three tiered wedding cake was the result complete with hand made sugar decorations. It tasted heavenly and was beyond our expectations. I doubt that there is anything that RUben cannot do. He also made a gorgeous anniversary cake AND a birthday cake for members of the wedding party. Ruben is one amazing guy!
Vincent, Sunni and indeed all the staff go out of their way to ensure that you relax and have everything you could wish for.
Extra facilities include the free glass bottom boat which is a great short trip for both adults and children alike and the hotel also run a boat service to the nearby Ille de Cerf. Staff will organise taxis, trips etc from reception and basically just go that extra mile for you to ensure your stay is memorable!.
The food at the hotel is plentiful. Eggs cooked to order in the morning, loads of fresh fruit and the local fish SO good. Once again, staff go out of their way to ensure dietary needs are met (allergies, vegetarian etc). The menu works on a weekly rota so if there for two weeks then obviously you get a repeat but this posed no problem for any of us.
Drinks are obviously the local rums, whisky, gin etc and there are plenty fun non alcoholic drinks for the children all beautifully presented for them.
The on site Spa is relaxing, reasonably priced and once again, the staff so lovely.
Mervin, the general manager is certainly always on the scene ensuring everything is running smoothly and that guests are happy with things and is SO willing to rectify anything that you have a problem with.
Definitely recommend this hotel. Thank you for a wonderful and memorable wedding AND holiday!.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view and are all extremely quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank anniedubai
Dear guest,

We are very much pleased to read how much your party enjoyed their holiday in Mauritius and above all the commitment of Benedicte in organizing the wedding. We wish the newly wedding couple all the very best in life,

Kindest regards,

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife (of one day!) and I spent ten lovely nights at the beautiful hotel Tropical Attitude in October 2006 - sorry I've only just got around to reviewing it, but judging from the recent reviews from other people it hasn't changed much...

A small hotel with beach-hut style accommodation right on the waterline of a lovely beach with palm trees and shrubs and flowers surrounding the resort.

We were greeted with cocktails and our bags whisked off to our room before we were shown around the hotel by extremely friendly and smiley staff who couldn't have done more for us.

When we got to our room we found a lovely basket of fruit and a bottle of champagne on the side and a beautiful swan made from towels surrounded with rose petals on the bed. Drawing back the curtains we were stunned by the view of the ocean and perfect blue skies. The room facilities were basic, but very comfortable, with great (and quiet) air conditioning that kept us cool during the night.

The restaurant served LOADS of fresh fish, fruit and vegetables each day, with local beers, wine, and juices. Each morning there was a chef who would cook eggs to order, however you wanted them.

The hotel had a shuttle service (small boat) that transported guests to and from a stunning beach with huge expanses of golden sand nestled amongst scenic mangroves. The water here was unbelievably clear, shallow and very warm, with starfish and turtles swimming about.
There were a couple of places to buy food and drink, along with para-sailing and various watersports activities on the other side of the beach.

From the hotel you can also organise trips to the reef to go diving, or horse-riding along the beach. Both are worth doing if you're experienced.

A thoroughly relaxing holiday where we were totally pampered from the minute we arrived to the minute we left.

Excellent !

Room Tip: They are all on the beach - you can't get a bad one !
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel S
Dear Daniel,

Aain our congratulations and we wish you both all the very best in life !

It gives all our “Family Members” still more dedication to ensure that our guests are enjoying fully their holidays – especially when they are drt to share unique moments.

Thank you for this fantastic review which is like a reference for future guests.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking very lucky. We were welcomed and they meant it. Small but this is essence of its charm. We met so many interesting people. You can be alone but also very much part of the place.food appropriate for the price and staff make great efforts to make it relaxing and fun

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank judy h
Dear Judy,

The size of our hotel reflects its coziness and all our “Family Members” were more than happy that they succeeded in their mission.

Thank you for your trust in Tropical Attitude.

Very best regards,

Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 July 2014

When we arrived we were welcomed and given cocktails and nibbles which was a very nice personal touch as well as the assistant manager the manager came over and introduced himself.
We were then taken to our rooms and the porter brought our luggage along for us.
This small friendly hotel does everything and anything to help you enjoy your holiday with them.
It was our daughters 30th birthday when we were there and Sunny arranged a first class meal of steak cooked for us personally with our own private chef, the table was decorated to perfection and I would like to thank Sunny for all his help in arranging this for us and making her birthday a day to remember, Sunny also arranged a birthday cake and some of the waiters brought it out and sang happy birthday, such a memorable night for us.
The hotel provides a boat to take you over to Ile Aux Cerfs island, take the opportunity to go over there as the beach is lovely and there is a lot more sunshine as the hotel seems to be in a cove and does not have that many sunny places to sit. The hotel will provide you with a picnic basket if you like or you can just make yourself up some filled rolls or sandwiches at breakfast time and they will wrap these up for you.
Karen is such a lovely friendly face in the mornings and will cook you anything you wish with a lovely smile.
The waiters especially Cushin and Cristophe were so lovely and helpful, I'm sure there were plenty of others excactly the same but these seemed to be the ones that we were served by most of the time. I never got to say goodbye to Cushin so please pass on our regards for us.
Our rooms were cleaned everyday to perfection and I was so impressed by the clean sheets everyday which was a lovely touch. We never met our room cleaner but would like to pass on our thanks.
My family always found something delicious to eat and had no complaints regarding the menus, I am unfortunately a very fussy eater but on that first day Sunny said that all I had to do was let them know what I would like to eat and they would make it for me, and they did. I have never been in a hotel where they have offered to cook different food from the menu and I was so pleased with this extra touch.
I would like to point out to future holiday makers that it is better to change money in Mauritius rather than at home as the rate is so much better.
Mauritiun people are so friendly and you will not be disappointed, my son had a plastercast on and my husband went with him into Flaqu on the bus and they were more than helpful.
What more can I say other than thank you Tropical Attitude staff you are the ones that make this place so special.
We hired a car through the Thompson rep and I would recommend.
The trip to see the dolphins was magical (we never seen any) but better than that we saw the whales and the skipper on the speedboat was more excited than us as they have been looking for them for three months, it was a magical trip.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the sea so I'm sure they will all be similar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank janlinedinburgh
Dear guest,

What an amazing review !! Thank you for depicting our hotel and its facilities with such warm words.

Our “Family Members” were very happy to extend their Mauritian hospitality to you.

We look forward to have you with among us for your daughter’s 31st birthday.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel should be rated as a 5 star for the excellent staff and manager and the amazing running and cleanliness of this wonderful, family hotel. We arrived home last week from this wonderful second home! We want to thank Mervyn and Clifford very deeply for the care you gave my husband and myself after he arrived ill. Nothing was too much trouble for these wonderful people. Following our flight home we received a call from Mervyn to ensure we arrived home OK and also to ask about the welfare of my husband and myself. We were treat like royalty. Thank you again from from Jean and Tommy Parker from Sheffield. Mervyn and Clifford, we will be back.xxxxxxxxx

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JeanParker2014
Dear guest,

As goes the saying “a bad beginning leads to a good ending”. It was our immense pleasure for all of us to have made your vacation a memorable one and we cannot wait to welcoming you both again very soon for some unforgettable moment at the hotel.

We wish your husband a good recovery.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trou d'eau Douce
#4 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
The Ravenala Attitude
The Ravenala Attitude
#3 of 5 in Balaclava

Been to Tropical Attitude? Share your experiences!