“Berber hospitality at its best” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Douar Samra

Douar Samra
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Imlil
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Berber hospitality at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

When we stayed in Douar Samra seven years ago for just one night, we vowed to return for longer. It was exactly as we remember, with the exception of the newly built treehouse. We stayed in Kouss, quite small, but with a terrace that's the envy of all the other guests. We could have had a room with electricity, but part of the charm of the Douar is returning to your room after a sumptuous dinner prepared by the excellent local cooks, and lighting candles in all the alcoves.

My husband and I love walking and booked three wonderful treks with Hassan, who was knowledgeable, patient and helpful, especially when it came to difficult terrain. On one of the three days, I had a hammam which was carried out by Mohammed's wife who scrubbed me with black olive soap, sluiced buckets of warm water over me and left me feeling completely relaxed. Definitely to be recommended.

Madame Jacqueline, whose vision it was to build Douar Samra, is a delightful and fascinating woman, who keeps herself to herself, but occasionally appears to make sure her guests are happy. The staff are welcoming and available to put anything right or simply to bring you a refreshing mint tea with tiny biscuits to nibble on.

Away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech {do visit the lovely sister Riad Samsara too}, the Douar Samra offers a wonderful retreat and surrounded by glorious mountain views. Unmissable.

Room Tip: If electricity is a priority, make sure you book a room away from the main house.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was our (my girlfriend and myself) first stop on a 9 day trip in Morocco-Atlas Mtns, semi-desert and Marrakech. Little did we know that this was a perfect introduction to Morocco. We did two day hikes with guide (Mohammad), mules and hot prepared lunches on the mountains. We returned to Douar Samra to lie around on the patios and felt there were plenty of different spaces for privacy.
It was hot while we were there but it was definitely cooler in the mountains-we slept with our windows open. The staff were all friendly, helpful and smiling. We didn't realize it until later how unique it was to be able to watch the villagers go about their daily lives from the rooftop of the
The hotel is simple in an authentic way, with many open spaces and rooftop views down into the valley and of the mountains. The evening meals were some of the best we had in our entire trip.

Room Tip: Our room (Sdez) was separate from the main house with electricity but many other guests loved their...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We’ve recently returned from a trip to Morocco to celebrate our son’s 21st birthday. We stayed for 3 nights at the incomparable Douar Samra in Tamatert. What a great place to stay to experience the peace and tranquillity of the Atlas Mountains – in contrast to the noise and bustle of Marrakech! The staff were so welcoming, friendly and helpful. Our room was really comfortable and cosy and gave us our best nights’ sleep of the holiday. We were bowled over by the setting. The village is surrounded by mountains with awesome views down to Imlil and wonderful night skies. We’d unfortunately just missed the blossom but the walnut trees in new leaf were still lovely. We really enjoyed doing a couple of walks, the Waterfall and the more strenuous Loop walk, with Hassan as our excellent local guide – a really kind and thoughtful guy. On returning from our walks it was great to relax on one of the terraces with a mint tea and look forward to a simple but delicious supper eaten with our fellow travellers. Thanks Jacqueline and also to all your staff for making us feel so welcome in your lovely house in the mountains!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate D
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My partner and I stayed in Douar Samrain April.
It was a very charming, cosy and homely experience that I would recommend to anyone.
The management encourages a social atmosphere as you share your meal with other similar speaking guests which you are seated with during dinner and breakfast.
It is a really warm social vibe over delicious food, and the best breakfast I had in Morroco!

During the day you can lounge in peaceful corners which are designed for relaxation and privacy, but it's recommended to go out and enjoy the landscape of the area.

Over 1 night stay is best so you can arrive in the evening and arrange a guide for the hike tours offered by the riad for the following morning. You can see the waterfall in a few hours or do a day hike of the valley, there's also Mount Toubkal to climb which takes about 5 hours to get to the top (not sure if the hotel will organise this for you but I'm sure it's exhilarating). The tours organised are morning activities as far as I understand. Otherwise you can go explore some paths on your own.
Bring a head torch for the shower and toilet if you prefer more than candle light in the rooms that don't have electricity.
I really haveto thank Khadija, who was a big help as my translator and contact point sorting out a problem with my pre organized tour.
I loved this place, I wish I had more time!

Room Tip: Bring a head torch for the shower and toilet if you prefer more than candle light in the rooms that...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JacquelineMarrakech, Owner at Douar Samra, responded to this review, 24 February 2015
Dear Rufs_B,

I wish to extend my sincerest gratitude for the wonderful review about your recent stay with us and for highly recommending our hotel! I am happy to read that our effort to provide exceptional service. I will most definitely convey your compliments on Khadija, and the rest of the team as an encouragement for their service.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring your next visit is another amazing experience!

Regards,
Siham for Jacqueline Brandt
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had a fantastic time in Douar Samra at the start of a 2 week holiday in Morocco. The setting was spectacular, with amazing views of the Atlas Mountains. The staff were always helpful and friendly. Rooms were very comfortable and we felt that we got great value for money. We'd definitely recommend this as a base for exploring the Atlas Mountains.

Room Tip: We chose one of the garden rooms with electricity.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JacquelineMarrakech, Owner at Douar Samra, responded to this review, 27 January 2015
Dear Eoin D,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

The whole team looks forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you, once again.

Siham for Jacqueline Brandt.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed in the treehouse as part of our honeymoon. We hired a car in Marrakech and drove the very scenic route up to Imlil. The views from the terraces are breathtaking and the staff very hospitable and accommodating. The candlelit dinners in the communal area are a good way to catch up with fellow travellers. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear ViajeroLondon,

We really look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future at Douar Samra.

Yours sincerely,

Siham for Jacqueline Brandt.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was the absolute perfect place to end our two weeks in Morocco. Nestled in the mountains, but surrounded by blooming Cherry Blossoms and Orange trees, this place screamed "cute"! Every detail, from the hooks on the walls, the slippers in our bedroom, the cozy and colorful common dining area, to 'Jules' the donkey, was so damn adorable we could barely stand it. After a few weeks of nonstop exploring around Morocco, we welcomed a nap in the hammock, a mint tea on the terrace, a cuddle session with the cat, and maybe another nap in the hammock, before an exceptional dinner with the rest of the guests. Prearrange a guided hike for one of the days (the loop walk kicked my butt, but was amazing). The views are absolutely spectacular and this place couldn't be more adorable. And yes, I know I already said that, but I think it was worth mentioning again. Honestly, just go. Because nothing I say here will ever do this place justice.

Room Tip: the Treehouse has electricity and is the most private!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JacquelineMarrakech, Owner at Douar Samra, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Dear Molly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at douar samra. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We truly appreciate your kind words about our cuisine and landscape .We hope to see you again!

Warm Regards,
Siham for Jacqueline Brandt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imlil
Riad Dar Imlil
Kasbah Angour Atlas Mountains Hotel
Riad Jnane Imlil
Riad Jnane Imlil
#1 of 38 in Imlil

Been to Douar Samra? Share your experiences!