“Absolutely fantastic”

Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bazaruto Island
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed over easter, this was our second visit and are booked to go again just after Christmas to new year. We love it, from the transfer in a light aircraft to the accomadation, to the staff that are always helpfull. My kids love the 'flat' sea and the pools. The food is out of the top drawer with a variety that is acceptable for an island resort.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Roberto S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Gary,

Warm greetings from Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment of your holiday with us from Easter 2013. The resort is a fantastic location for families with lots of activities for children with the benefit of a very shallow shoreline for paddling or swimming.

We really value your loyalty as a returning guest and look forward to welcoming you back next month.

Should you have any specific requests prior to your arrival, please feel free to email me.

Kind Regards,

Roberto Simone

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here as the last leg of our honeymoon. It was our first time to Africa, and we figured we'd like some down time to relax on a beach after over a week of safari travels. We stayed at Indigo Bay only because our original choice of Marlin Lodge had burned down.

The charter plane brought us to the lodge two hours late because they had to change a punctured tire and there were too many guests compared to how many seats were on the plane. We checked in a bit after 4PM, and the lodge kept the buffet lunch open late for all the guests on this delayed flight. That was nice because we were really hungry following the delay.

We sat by the pool, but there's noone to bring you drinks (you have to go to the bar). And the drink selection that is available is very poor. (There are slightly better choices for a ridiculously high extra fee) And if you're hungry in between the meals, there are NO snacks available.

During the dinner buffet we watched the activities representative zigzag around tables to book the next day's events. The representative went around to the same tables multiple times and we finished dessert and coffee before she finally came to our table. We booked sand dune boarding for the last night because they had booked up all the slots for that excursion earlier in the night. This issue of not being able to book our desired excursion happened two nights in a row, which along with five consecutive meals of lukewarm buffet food, led us to write to our travel agent an email letting her know that we felt the hotel to be too crowded and our resulting feelings of disappointment and regret in choosing this lodge.

Additionally, my husband discovered 14 bug bites in a straight line on his body, which we suspect to be either sand mites or bed bugs. (Mind you, we never sat on the sand during our time there, not because the beach wasn't nice, but because we preferred to stay by the pool and wrongly thought we could get better drink service from the lounge chairs on the deck.) We changed rooms (from one beach chalet to another), but my husband got more bites even after we changed rooms.

Two days later, our travel agent contacted the resort and the assistant manager Dustin reached out to us right before lunch. Dustin had a nurse evaluate Andrew's bites but he produced no definitive answer as to the kind of bug other than confirming it was not a mosquito. After lunch, Dustin arranged for a private boat to take the two of us to see Paradise Island for about an hour (the day long excursion to Paradise Island was another excursion we wanted but couldn't book). From that, we went straight to the sand dune boarding activity. At dinner, we had a romantic dinner on the sand away from the other guests. It was a nice way to end the trip, but we wish the first two thirds of our time here wasn't so rough.

Room Tip: Pick a beach chalet closer to the beach activities. We were on the other side and always had a loon...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angel G
Roberto S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Gentlemen,

Please find below my proposed response to the Tripadvisor review copied below;

“Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment of your honeymoon with us in June 2013.

The transfer to the resort on Bazaruto Island is a quick 15 minute scenic flight over the ocean and is certainly a fantastic opportunity to take some photos of the majestic archipelago from a bird’s eye view. Although unusual should there be any delays lunch is always made available.

I am happy to confirm that both of our swimming pools now have service around the pool, offering a variety of locally inspired cocktails and light snacks.

Activities encompass a wide range from the internationally renowned big game fishing to sand dune boarding or the more leisurely cultural drive in addition to many more. All most all of our activities occur daily and where possible we will accommodate a guest’s request for a specific day.

Our dinning menus have recently been enhanced to offer a number of themed buffets such as Mezze, Flavours of Africa, Churrascaria along with set menus in stunning al fresco locations enjoying the beautiful starlit African sky.

It’s very pleasing to know that your honeymoon ended on a high with lasting memories.

Please feel free contact us when you wish to return it will be our pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation’s arrangements and ensure we take excellent care of you.

Kind Regards,

Roberto

Roberto Simone”

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Did a five night stay as part of a three week trip to South Africa. Based on American of South African Safari standards I would give Indigo a 3 to 3.5 star rating.

The island and resort is beautiful! The food is fantastic, and plentiful. Way above what I would expect for an all inclusive. Great Gym and Great Spa.

The beds and bedding are far substandard. It's about what I would expect from a church camp. You could see right though the sheets. Beds were about as cheap as you could find. Rooms are very dated.

Service .... The resort claims 5 star status. For 5 star status I expect my needs to be anticipated and service provided without being noticed. I would say half the staff is extremely friendly, and the other half wishes you were not there. My first night there, I'm jet lagged and take a ambien to sleep. Right as I'm going to bed, the maids show up and ask to clean my room. I tell them I'm going to bed, and no cleaning necessary. The maid takes the do not disturb sign and places it on my door. All well and good. I go to sleep, and for about an hour, Every 5 - 10 minutes they beat on my door yelling house keeping. After an hour, the start calling. Now when I take ambien if I fully wake up I don't go back to sleep. So I try my best to ignore them. Finally I pick up the phone and beg them to leave me alone.

I go to the resort for s Scuba diving. Upon arrival I ask to go diving the next day. They can't accommodate, no other divers. The next day they tell me they have a one tank dive in the afternoon and too show up at 3 PM. I do, and I sit for 1 1/2 hours waiting for them to teach pool work. I read the pricing which shows a very expensive up charge if you are the only diver on the boat. (This was not offered day 1). So third day on the island 3 other divers are scheduled for the two tank dive. Both other divers cancel last minute, I have to pay the single diver fee, without warning.

Not happy at all with service, and this was with management from the new company running around.

I'm not a big drinker, but like good wines with dinner. Inclusive wine list was horrible. Other wines offered were very expensive, and very few offerings. cocktails were poor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank chorton702
RaniResorts, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your review about your recent visit to Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa on Tripadvisor. Guest feedback is our most effective tool to ensure consistent quality service and continuous improvement.

We are very pleased to read your comments about our gym, the spa and our food offerings; however, it is disappointing to us at the same time that we did not meet your expectations overall and I would like to apologise for that.

We certainly appreciate your concerns about the conditions of the rooms, bed/bedding, selection of wines and complimentary activity offerings, which I will share with our team to see how we can address and improve those areas.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Very laid back, chilled hotel ... nice beach and lovely pool area. The rooms which are and island syle nice, lead out to a grassy area with hammocks and then onto the beach. The food was amazing and the meals a constant delight. Service was good too. Children's play area not the best but with the great beach and weather I was quite happy to have them outdoors. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa earlier this year. We have noted your comment about the children's play area to discuss with our team and establish how we can improve this facility.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you and your family back at Indigo Bay in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

never had a more honest & warm smile found like all staff at Indigo Bay. Thank you to all the Sergio's, Ricardo's, Louisa's & how they all named, you made our stay very memorable. Agree with other reviewers, the price tag is heavy but when considering with the Maldives it's still acceptable for the surrounding environment you will find. Sure some maintenance is needed but honestly where can you find a beach stretch like on Bazaruto with no other hotels or beach shacks splattered all over. Calling Thailand my home it's impossible to find anything similar in these days. Many activities to do and big thank you to Conrad & Anel who looked well after me.
Breakfast is a nice small spread out with live egg station, pancake & some hot items. Lunch is served in the Club Naval restaurant straight on the shore & can't be topped in terms off quality & service. Daily salad bar with antipasti & greens from the hotels own herb garden, daily choice of 3 dishes and a small pizza menu. Dinner was mainly set up as themed buffets in different locations within the resort. Mr Sushi rolling live Nigiri or cutting sashimi out of a King Makro, Arabic pizza bread live baked out of the wood fire stone oven and char grilled cray fish in huge sizes. Lots of variety and again all staff has been well trained & served with big smile. The highlight has been the wine paring set menu in 5 course and it's been presented in a very modern way, that I felt more being in a trendy restaurant off Bangkok rather on a small island in Africa. Special thanks to chef Thinus who has been always very entertaining & looking well after my special requirements.
The spa is impressive located on the highest point of the bay overlooking the whole resort. Charming Raiza is always present & even on lunch or dinner time she will look after you to arrange some treatment when needed. Trust me after some activities it's been a pleasure to just relax in one of the treatment rooms.
Rooms have been cleaned twice a day, always spotless and with up to date amenities and some small enhancement to the local environment. Reception has been very charming and assist on all occasion with buggy service, believe me there is quite some distance to cover in the resort.....
All in all a big thank you to GM Markus & his team who looked so well after me & made my stay a memorable one - good job well done

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

It is with great pleasure to note you enjoyed your stay and we succeeded in meeting your expectations. Your comments about our Team - especially Thinus, Rizia, Sergio, Louisa, Ricardo, Anel, Conrad and Markus - will be proudly conveyed to them.

We appreciate it is costly to travel to Moçambique and stay with us which renders your support and understanding of the destination invaluable to us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

The perfect all-inclusive honeymoon destination. Excellent staff, great food and a glorious location. We were well looked after, surprises/gifts in our room every day. Lots of activities to do on the water or on-land. Not cheap, but worth it.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your fabulous review on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate all feedback as this is the best way for us to gauge what we are doing right and where we can improve.

We are truly delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will return to our magical Moçambique!

Warmest wishes,

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Bazaruto is a beautiful location in the Bazaruto Archipelago Marine National Park. Indigo Bay belongs to the RANI groups and is now under a new Asian Management.
Food: Besides some vegetables, everything needs to be flown in. If you are a fan of spicy and garlic buffet food, that´s the place to go. The setting of dinners varies and is often nicely set up. The few set menus are well prepared. After seven days, you can look up the menu from last week as the menu is repeated. Vegetarian dishes are not offered in the evening. Yellowfin tuna is served almost every meal in salads, grilled or as Sushi, although it is red-listed and highly endangered (www.greenpeace.org, www.sassi.org.za) to become extinct in the very near future as tuna cannot reproduce in captivity. Very sad for us to see that it is still caught, even in a marine conservation area. We are heading towards silent seas! Human responsibility, when will it start?
Activities: The bay is ideal for sailing and other non-motorized water sports. From the activity side there is definitely a lack of non-motorized watersports: One out of date surfboard, one damaged old Hobby Cat, no pedalos, one stand paddler, a few kayaks. The staff is not trained to instruct people in surfing or sailing. This makes the place dull as the vibrancy is missing. Sunsets are often spectacular although the evening tranquility is disturbed by motor boats and body boarding. The resort is mostly dominated by the big game fishing boats and the idea to hunt some endangered fishes and sharks. Indigo Bay offers more the impression of a game and hunting reserve than a marine resort to conserve endangered wildlife. - For snorkeling you can try Neptune’s Nursery (one of the few complimentary offers included in the package) but the coral reef is dead with only a few fishes left. There are some other reefs around for snorkeling and diving at additional costs. Depending on the location, the corals are 100% destroyed (very sad to see) up to 80% intact. The activity manager is very helpful to assist you in your daily plans. The Spa is beautifully located but also quite pricy.
Staff: The staff comes mostly from the local villages is amazing, very friendly, attentive and well trained. We have never met such an outstanding staff in a hotel! It is the big plus of the hotel.
Environment: The Beach Villas overlooking the bay are spacious with a South African town house atmosphere, with fully built-in Bosch kitchen (not needed). Less luxury would also do in such a pristine setting. Energy is supplied by a gas pipe from the mainland, water is filtered and recycled (relief for the coral reefs) and used as gray water. Waste is recycled when possible and returned to the mainland. Solar panels and wind energy are still not used. Some larger spots of oil spill can be found on the beach at Clube Naval. Indigo Bay is engaged in various community projects on the island. We found the obligatory "voluntary" community fees to be paid by the guest a bit over the top, as the costs for accomodation for literally a beach, sunshine and full board are very expensive. National park fees are charged in addition. Weekly clean ups of the beaches by the 10 communities should become a "must do" as the beaches of the national park are littered with empty oil cans and plastic. In the small shop at the Indigo Bay Resort the garments are all made in and imported from China.
The stay at Indigo Bay offers no good value for money. The activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving or tours on the island are at additional costs and quite expensive taking the already excessive costs for accommodation into consideration. The resort impression leaves a gloomy, sometimes depressive feeling, also supported by the unconsciousness of marine conservation and sustainable fishing.

Room Tip: Bay View Villas. others are quite dark and a bit out of date
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristin D
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent visit to Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa. Guest feedback is very important to us as it allows us to ensure we are providing our guests with consistent quality service and continually improving our product.

It was a pleasure for our team at Indigo Bay to meet you and your family; however we were alarmed to read that you encountered such a disappointing experience. This is certainly not the normal standard we strive for and we sincerely regret we did not meet your expectations.

We apologise for the limited availability of non-motorised water sports, but hoped we would make it up to you with all the special customised trips and activities we organised for you.

We also appreciate your concerns about the sustainable fishing and our menu offerings, and would like to assure you that we are following strict rules and regulations which includes the tag and release policy for fishing activities in conjunction with Durban’s Oceanographic Institute (ORI).

Thank you again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us.
We remain at your disposal should you wish to address your concerns further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bazaruto Island
Casa Cabana Beach
Casa Cabana Beach
#3 of 9 in Vilanculos
Pestana Bazaruto Lodge All Inclusive

Been to Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort? Share your experiences!