“Fantastic place to be with”

Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bazaruto Island
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I have passed my New Years there, and the weather wasn't fantastic but if you need to relax and stay with your beloved one is amazing. The food is not the best after some days everything taste the same, the breakfast is delicious and the water temperature was fantastic. The ppl were very kind and helpful, we stay in one of the last houses in the left side, is a bit far from the restaurant and swimming pool but if you go to relax those are the best houses. U must go by airplane the views are fantastic.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colaco
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Colaco,

Greetings from Anantara Bazaruto;

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feeling and positive words about your last stay in December.
I m very glad you enjoyed the experience, the untouched environment and the hospitality provided by our friendly people.
I acknowledge as well your comments on our menu cycle offer. I would like to ensure that since December We have taken some steps forward, implementing a wider food choice in light of guests suggestions. The aim is to tailor made the offer according the guest mix and seasonality, please feel free at your next stay with us to drop to my email your preferences, will b a pleasure to take care personally.
I would like to thank you for your encouraging words and looking forward to welcome back you again in the future.

Warm Regards

Roberto

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Traveling for the first time to the Southern Hemisphere for a quick winter escape we must say we will be back. Friends suggested to try Mozambique - well we heard a lot but did not know anything- we choose the resort based on web search and saw it has been rebranded - as well as the comfort to arrive directly from Johannesburg were we stayed before a couple of nights. It was just breathtaking - the location still not really discovered by the grand tourist masses, the beach is yours you hardly see other persons around - the hotel was in low occupancy so it was very nice to enjoy the daily changing dinner concepts with few other visitors mainly from South Africa but as well some from Europe .
The staff was outstanding, Roberto and Jonathan, the managers of the place did an amazing job and were always around - Sergio and his restaurant staff charmed us with their friendliness - the food was so good always fresh fish and lots of choice - grilled lobster on the beach barbecue eating while your feet touch the sand - what else do you wish for! The spa has sn amazing location with breathtaking views and the beach villas are spacious , comfortable and provide private access to the sea to have your morning swim! We did two excursions - one on the other side of the island were you pass by the interior with stunning lakes to reach dunes high 20 meters with a piece of undiscovered beauty. The other to a desert island in front of the resort to enjoy a private barbecue on the beach and some snorkeling - we will be back that's for sure!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Travellergipsy
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Travellergipsy,

Warm greetings from Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent holiday, it was a pleasure getting to know you both.

The cultural drive experience is certainly an informative way to spend a morning in a comfortable four wheel drive with safari seating enabling guests to take in the spectacular island surroundings including crocodiles in the lakes. The tour concludes by visiting one of the local schools and communities that make up the three thousand inhabitants of Bazaruto before returning in time for lunch.

I will pass on your gratitude to the members of the team mentioned who had assisted in making your holiday so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back please feel free to contact me when you wish to return it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation arrangements and ensure we take excellent care of you once again.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I wouldn't recommend the resort, not because it wasn't nice and we did have a very lovely, relaxing stay, but it is overpriced for what you get. Some investment in repairs/updates to the buildings and in significant food improvements would get it much closer to 5 stars.

Pluses:
- Breakfast was good every day
- Stocked minibar in the room is a nice plus
- Spa manager very charismatic and energetic
- Spa was beautiful, even in pouring rain
- Layout of resort is very nice, good use of coastline and walkways
- Bathrooms good, very nice
- Wine choices on all inclusive list are pretty good
- Orlando at the bar is lovely, always has a smile
- Wet towels at the start of dinner are a nice touch but would be better during the day at the pool
- Great job of rotating dinner locations and decor
- Nice touch to bring pizza snack to pool every afternoon

Cons:
- Food was only average, not as expected for pricing and is the biggest disappointment as it was often cafeteria like; they don't keep buffet food cold enough (e.g. ceviche out four hours un-iced), not storing fish/meat on ice; should not do most meals as buffet, should offer menu food at most meals (meals that were a la carte were much better than buffet meals)
- General renovations required; tons of significant leaks (admittedly huge amount of rain), Club Naval unusable in rains; room 109 leaked and they must have known about it and should have fixed it: same with the leaks in the main building...annoying that they haven't fixed things
- Manager never asked us how the stay was - he was around all week, but didn't check in after introduction on 1st day
- Staff annoyingly interrupt for turndown service room at time that most are getting ready for dinner - should be paying closer attention to which guests are seated for dinner and do turndown then
- No light above/near hairdryer (which was fixed when requested) but shouldn't have had to ask
- Furniture/decor in rooms is dated & bland (Could be Hilton/Holiday Inn anywhere in the world) and should be updated but could easily be corrected

- Cocktail list very dated; super easy to upgrade using the same ingredients and drinks would be much better with better training for the staff

- Tipping expected on every meal bill (not expected at all inclusive)
- Staff never thought ahead to reserve a table for us on the same level as the buffet to avoid woman with crutch dealing with extra stairs
- Boat ladders need to be replaced/updated (such a simple, easy fix)

We really did enjoy our stay, but my comments to friends has been that I wouldn't recommend it because of value for money. For 1/2 the price, sure I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank gaynorb
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Gaynorb,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent holiday.

I appreciate you having personally shared the same feedback with your travel agent who in turn forwarded it to my attention to whom I responded directly within 24 hrs.

I will be sure to pass on your recognition of Orlando and Rizia to them personally as our team take great pride in serving our guests. I am grateful of your acknowledgement of many other positive aspects of your stay.

At this time we are in the early stages of rebranding from Indigo Bay Resort & Spa to Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

The culinary offering on resort is an area that is evolving day by day as the Anantara standards are trained and implemented. It is our intention to offer a variety of a la carte & buffet menus to have the right balance for our guests, whilst the buffet evenings we strive to provide a wide selection with high quality locally sourced produce (where available) cooked to each guest’s preference. I appreciate you were disappointed by the dinner options and would like to apologize for any shortfall against your expectation.

There is presently an extensive maintenance program on going to repair all leaking roofs & uplift the resort while there are also plans for refurbishment in the near future.

Your observation pertaining to turn down service is duly noted and the housekeeping team have since been briefed to liaise with our restaurant team to provide a more unobtrusive service.

I acknowledge your concern pertaining to our ladders for access on and off the boats this is being reviewed as to provide the most ergonomic solution for our valued guests.

The restaurant associates will be given further training on how to present the bill and anticipating the guest’s needs & preferences to enhance your experience.

Pertaining to the cocktail menu conceptualisation of a new menu with international cocktails and locally inspired flavours will soon be available.

I am sorry if I did not engage you regularly during your holiday, I do make every effort to spend time with all of our guests and get to know everyone.

I look forward to your next visit to our piece of paradise, please feel free to contact me when you wish to make a reservation and I will personally ensure you have a most memorable holiday. My contact details can be found on our web page www.bazaruto.anantara.com

General manager

Reviewed 24 January 2014

After having read a few negative reviews before our arrival I was a little concerned that our week long holiday would not be all that we had paid for. Clearly Roberto and his team either attended to these short comings very quickly OR the reviewer was nitpicking to the extreme!
Our holiday was absolutely magical and I can honestly say it has been the best island holiday we have ever had and we've been fortunate to enjoy many.
The staff are so friendly, always willing to help, I didn't find them over attentive or intrusive at all.
Meals times, well, the kitchen goes beyond all expectation and presents so many different dishes to suit all tastes, evening venue is changed every night with differing themes some buffet and others al a carte.
The room is gorgeous, hidden away under palm thatch, but luxurious inside, our room was meters away to the stunning beach. The beach has a few rocky sections but it really isn't going to impact on your enjoyment, the sea bed goes down gradually and the waters are clear n calm, a swim at sunrise is a must if you can drag yourself out of bed.
The spa setting on top of the hill presents views that will take your breathe away, a bit pricey but all top resorts spas are, just think of the logistics when wondering about the high price! Spend some time in the jacuzzi at the spa and soak in the beauty, the staff will bring you cocktails, what more can a person need to relax.
My only complaint of our holiday was the kids using the adult only pool, the pool below the main restaurant / reception area is clearly marked with a no children sign, although I asked for this to be enforced it wasn't and kids were running around there being noisy. This really is a minor complaint and we were there during the Christmas holidays when loads of families are vacationing too, unfortunately for us a very rowdy and unsupervised bunch of South African kids were running off steam.
I would recommend this idyllic setting for a honeymoon, couples or family holiday and sincerely hope I can go back very soon. Magical.

Room Tip: We stayed in 123, perfect, the couple who holidayed with us had 130 and that was quite a walk.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kstd
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent holiday.

I am delighted to know that you had enjoyed your holiday so much and that some of the highlights were our cuisine, the spa and our associates.

I am sorry that you had been disturbed at the Tartaruga Pool despite our discreet signage . Since this was brought to my attention the pool has been monitored more closely with no further concerns of this nature.

I look forward to welcoming you back please feel free to contact me it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation arrangements and ensure that once again we leave you with lasting memories.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed in the Matemo Suite, which had a king-size bed, en-suite bathroom, lounge, verandah and private plunge pool which was a pretty luxurious. The location of this place is to die for. We took a trip across to the neighbouring small island which had a derelict hotel that had closed possibly in the 70's, we had a banquet on the beach, shown around the old hotel and the island by the Portuguese warden, caught fish off the boat and sailed along side dolphins.
I would have give this place top marks but the food and service was not of the highest level, indeed the waiters would clear your plate when you had finished your meal even though the person you were sharing the table with was still eating; just a little too quick I think. This very strange problem is easy to solve and needs to be sorted to create a more relaxed dining environment and experience. That said, it's a lovely place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank honestview23
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Warm greetings from Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent holiday to our beautiful resort located in one of Mozambique's most spectacular national parks.

I appreciate your feedback pertaining to the cuisine, an important element of any guest's stay and is constantly being defined & refined. I am pleased to confirm that our culinary team would be delighted to prepare something special should anyone of our guests prefer a different dish.

Our restaurant team are always keen to ensure they deliver the best service, I apologise that in this instance it would appear they had been a little over zealous. Training with all our teams is on going and this is a topic that will be covered.

A visit to Santa Carolina also known locally as Paradise Island is a must, a short luxury speed boat ride away is some of the region's finest snorkelling that I highly recommend.

Please feel free to contact me when you wish to return it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation arrangements and ensure we take excellent care of you once again.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

The hotel is a true paradise on the Mozambique coast. I have a beach villa with a incredible view towards the ocean. Bed is very comfortable and the bathrooms are huge.

the food provided in the restaurant's is fantastic. had the best grilled lobster ever. If you are a seafood lover, that is the place to be.
Service is very friendly. A true Mozambique hospitality.

Internet can be a bit tricky. But if you are here to relax, maybe its a good thing.
I will be back

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Arthold
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Warm greetings from Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to our beautiful island in the Bazaruto archipelago. Located a 15 minute flight from the international airport Vilanculos that has daily direct connections to Johannesburg, South Africa.

Complimentary internet access is available at two computers close to our conference room while for those guests who require wireless connectivity there is also complimentary WIFI access at Clube Naval restaurant and in the immediate vicinity of our guest services area.

It will be my pleasure to relay your compliments to the Chef and his culinary team for the seafood that you enjoyed during your stay.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We've just come back from a 5 day break at the Anantara / Indigo bay resort. We really had a fantastic break and it was exactly what we were after. As it was 3 of us, we stayed in the sea view pool villa, which was absolutely stunning. It was great having the privacy of our own terrace, which was absolutely spacious and it was the best spot to watch sunset. The rooms were huge and really well decorated. It was great having a full, well stocked mini bar (though it could have had more white wine). It was nice to have an outdoor as well as indoor shower.

The staff were friendly and really helpful. Not everyone spoke perfect English for a full conversation, but we never had any problems with staff understanding what we were after. They were very polite and keen to help wherever they could.

The food was amazing and a lot of choice presented at every meal. Both seafood, meat and vegetarian options. I really liked that it was buffet some nights and others a la carte menu. Made for a more varied experience. Crisps were also available outside meal times and we were always offered bits and pieces around 5/6 pm by the pool. Cocktails were nice, but not very alcoholic. The was a choice of at least 7 different types of white wine (South African and Portuguese) some of which we found better than others.

It can be a little annoying having to remember to sign for everything (though there is no charge), but I also find the bracelets that some all inclusive hotels use equally as irritating.

The activities are on the pricier side, but worthwhile doing. The Paradise Island was absolutely gorgeous and snorkelling some of the best any of us had ever done. SPA has got gorgeous views and is so tranquil. Most treatment rooms have views of the beach. There are few things that are more relaxing that that. We also did some diving, which was not the best. The visibility was rather poor, but potentially because there was a storm the night before.

The beach itself is a little disappointing as there are a lot of rocks covering much of it and it's quite shallow, certainly at low tide. But with two pools plus a plunge pool on our terrace and the snorkelling on the Neptune reef + Paradise Island, that was not a problem.

Wonderful place, combining complete relaxation with activities, should you chose. The flight over in a 6 seater plane was an adventure, with stunning views of the archipelago. Would highly recommend this place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Santa G
ROBERTO S, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent holiday.

Our culinary offering has a wide variety of a la carte menu options and themed buffets covering many cuisines from Mozambique to the Mediterranean to Asia with an abundance of freshly caught local seafood. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the team who take great pride in serving our guests their gastronomic delights.

The inclusive wine list features a number of wines from South Africa & Portugal there is also an exclusive wine list where a wider range of wines can be chosen at a supplement. The mixology team’s cocktail menu is derived from international recipes with local influence from the region.

The resort’s beach is a stunning 4 km stretch of golden sand, being a tidal area at low tide in a couple of small areas there are some rocky patches that are easy to navigate around with little difficulty. The beach is a very gentle shelving shoreline that is ideal for novice swimmers, children and beginners with water sports such as paddle boarding or windsurfing.

Once again thank you for other aspects of your feedback which will be shared with the bar team, Conrad from activities and Rizia from the spa who will be thrilled.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bazaruto Island
Casa Cabana Beach
Casa Cabana Beach
#3 of 9 in Vilanculos
Pestana Bazaruto Lodge All Inclusive

Been to Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort? Share your experiences!