“Incredible, pure luxury”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
London, United Kingdom
“Incredible, pure luxury”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I visited the Four Seasons Resort in Mahe Island Seychelles with my husband for our honeymoon. From start to finish it was the most amazing hotel and paradise island. You are greeted with a cold drink and flannel with a special welcome personally from the manager. We were taken via buggy to our beautiful villa. Spectacular accommodation, overlooking the blue sea and white sand, a big terrace with outdoor bed, shower and infinity pool, the room on the inside was very spacious large bed, living space, TV, dressing area and plenty of closet space. On arrival to the room there was a small cake and bottle of champagne to welcome us and each day the housekeeping left us a small treat. The room is made up twice a day and requests for this to be done later in the day are welcome. Depending on your room, you are very much reliant on buggies to get round the resort, these are readily available, safe and can be requested from your room. The beach is small but not busy, very beautiful, clean with loungers available and staff would go round with water and occasional snacks and will bring drinks to you from the bar. There was also a small area with the many resident turtles near the swimming pool. Swimming pool was large, quiet with large loungers and bar, good place to relax. We used the spa, great service very attentive. I would recommend a visit even if not using the facilities as the view is amazing. Breakfast was of a high standard and the chef is always willing to oblige for any special requests. Dinner was always very good a lot of variety with different themes nights but pricey. We had the dinner on the beach, very romantic and private, personal waiter, food selection is limited but a lovely idea. There was always evening entertainment including singers and creole dancers to get a feel of the culture of the island. The reception staff are very good and try to cater to your needs and are happy to arrange taxis to see the island, we spent half a day touring the island and visited the capital Victoria, great to see more of this island and Victoria had plenty of tourist stalls if you're after some gifts to take home. It was the most perfect holiday, beautiful island, would definitely return, pure luxury and seclusion.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 11_S_11
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear S R,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our beautiful resort and wonderful team.

I hope you will be able to return one day to enjoy some more "pure luxury and perfection."

Alex Porteous

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We visited this hotel recently 19 years after we had part of our honeymoon on Mahe.
Very hard to find anything to criticise, wonderful rooms, brilliant staff and food and drink better than anything we've had for a while.
Would recommend a visit to anyone.

Dear TandCP,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm glad you found Seychelles as magical as your visit 19 years ago. Please come and see us again in this little piece of Paradise again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've recently stayed at the Four Seasons with a group of friends. It was a short stay so I cannot comment on the spa but I'd like to provide some info that maybe useful to others.
Rooms/villas: these are meant to be the best and biggest of any FS. My hilltop villa was certainly amazing. And I had the most incredible view (v romantic). I understand that they are constantly making sure that they feel like new. And that was my impression.
Restaurants: I tried the beach bar and the rest at the beach. Both were OK but nothing special.. The beach restaurant could provide some more local food (or better, refined local food to soothe globe trotter tastes) or come up with their own Indian/Seychelles fusion. I had a local octopus curry and it was edible but not nice.The beach bar was v. average. The other 2 restaurants were so-so too, especially the Japanese.
Beach: there is only one beach. And there are quite a few rocks underwarter. It is postcard nice. But I guess after a few days I can feel v repetitive to be in the same place and to see lots of people. And I will not recommend snorkeling as a must visibility is not good and there is not much to see.
Kids Club: I did not take my daughter this time but went to check it and I was very very impressed by the range of activities and the enthusiasm of the staff working there. The kids seemed to be having a blast.
Transport: my husband did not like the buggy rides. After a while I guess it can be tiresome, specially as you do not have your own but depend on them sending them. I witness 2 arguments about who's buggy it was.
Staff: The reception staff could do with more training. The 2 I had to deal with were clueless. On arrival the lady took all my cards details and serve me a bill when I checked in because they had messed up with my pre-paid stay. At check-out was the same discussion. This was certainly not the usual FS standard.
Bottom line: Would I go back? Yes probably as connections force you to stay overnight on the Seychelles. But I will not be staying for long.
I have been in many Four Seasons. And what I think is missing is a a touch of local color. This could be Punta Mita (except that there the food is great), or Costa Rica (again more charm). If you are there for a few days you may not even realize that you are in the Seychelles. And that's a pity.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank miss_saigonlondon
Dear miss_saigonlondon,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful villas. I hope you can visit again with you family. Try to arrange your next stay to be here on a Saturday so you don't miss our fantastic Creole Night!

uk
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Recently stayed here and the resort is stunning. The beach, rooms and decor is fabulous. The service is excellent, although the meals could be a little better. For example ,my wife likes her steak medium rare and after requesting this , they actually brought a steak that was blue . On sending this back it came back rare and to make matters worse the actual potatoes that accompanied the steak came back actually still frozen. So this isn't what one expects from a Four Seasons. The F&B manager apologised and was very polite and a colleague of his also approached us the next day and apologised as well. Whilst we were staying at the resort, the TV wasn't working one evening ( due to the local provider) and they were highly apologetic and did it in a very professional manner . Overall an excellent stay and the way they deal with issues is commendable, although the F&B definitely needs addressing .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear pasboy,

Firstly, let me apologise again that we failed to serve your meal up to our usual high standards. I'm glad we could recover the experience for you. Please do let me know if you have any further feedback at alex.porteous@fourseasons.com.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can welcome you back to our beautiful Resort again in the future.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I did stay in the hotel for 3 nights and I was very well impressed with the room and overall structure of the hotel and how beautiful the beach was.

The service was very good in all areas with the exception of housekeeping and spa. As I notified the hotel staff the organization of the housekeeping needs a big adjustment. During the first 2 days I left the room before 9am and came back around 2pm and the room was not done yet - that is definetelly a serious problem for a Four Seasons. The staff was very responsive to the feedback and said they would work on improvements. If the hotel recommends the hosekeeping time to be scheduled an email should have been sent before the check-in, advising its guests... very disapointing...

I couldn't enjoy the SPA because they were 'always fully booked'.... the recepcionist was not prepared to propose options or to return in case of any cancelation.... But for me, it is hard to believe a hotel that was not full hadn't any spot for a massage.... If a pre-booking is required, the hotel should have sent an email before checking-in.

The room (villa) was very big and impressivelly well maintained!! I don't agree with another review which said that it is difficult to get from the room to the public areas - you just need to call for a 'buggy' and they will come very fast!! The transfer was always private and very well organized!

The food at all restaurants and breakfast was very good at a decent price. Beach / Poll service (food and beverage) was a little bit slow and it was hard to find a staff member when needed... Diving and water sport centers were great!!

The hotel design and decoration were impressive and the buildings are very well integrated to the forest / mountains. The hotel has gorgeous views and the beach is one of the bests I have ever been, and probably the beat in Mahè!

Well done, noting the required improvents in housekeeping and spa organization!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelCoachOriginal
Dear Joao129

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We read every single one, and always give the feedback to the team here, as we strive for excellence in everything we do.

I'm sorry that you had some issues with the timing of your housekeeping service. I hope we were able to improve matters after your call. If you have any further feedback which you would like to discuss, please drop me an email at alex.porteous@fourseasons.com. I'm sorry we weren't able to find a suitable appointment time in the Spa. Unfortunately it must have been a busy time. It's very unusual not to be able to find a slot, but we do encourage booking as far ahead in time as is possible, to avoid disappointment.

Thank you for the kind words about the villa, restaurants and beach. We hope we can welcome you back to Seychelles in future. Please get in touch and I will ensure that we get you booked into our stunning Spa this time.

With warm personal regards
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We are big fans of the Maldives but wanted to see the Seychelles as well for comparison.
The Four Seasons is a great hotel - we stayed in a hilltop villa and the accommodation is in the top 5 of all places we have ever stayed in. Service was good, but not outstanding. Breakfast was OK, but could be improved. The beach is lovely, but the beach service was a bit hit and miss.
Overall, the Seychelles (we stayed at the Raffles in Praslin as well) are considerably more expensive than the Maldives, and I don't understand why. Snorkelling is miles away from what the Maldives have to offer, and you usually have to go to the decent reefs by boat. So we won't be back to the Seychelles full stop - just returned from Baros and Anantarah Kihavah in the Maldives and there is no comparison!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kurumba77
Dear Kurumba77,

Thank you for your kind review of the Resort. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in the villa. Whilst we do have great snorkeling and diving, with the spectacular underwater landscape and crystal clear water enhanced by the huge granite boulders, some people do prefer the Maldives. There are many more activities available in Seychelles, with a lot to explore on land, that isn't available there. You are clearly a "water baby" so Maldives is your dream destination. Be sure to visit our two beautiful resorts there!

Malibu, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I just completed a recent stay at the Four Seasons. The staff were extremely rude, especially those on the beach and the price compared to what you get is certainly not worth it at all.

It rains all the time and the bay although beautiful was full of stinging jellyfish. Throughout the area there are ravenous mosquitoes which will eat you up.

The rooms are quite a distance from the beach and restaurant and you have to be an Olympic mountain climber to go back and forth!

If you have to come to Mahe, I would certainly say stay somewhere else!

16 Thank sb5000
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear sb5000,

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your time in Seychelles. I understand that the bad weather you experienced may have marred your experience slightly. I know that it is not any consolation, yet I can assure you that it was raining across Mahe island, not just the south west part of the island and the weather now is absolutely fabulous and back to its usual sun shine.

I'm a little surprised by your comments regarding jellyfish and mosquitoes. I don't recall any reports from either guests or staff regarding any problems recently. We always fly the purple marine flag at the beach to advise against swimming on the rare occasion that there are any jellyfish, as we want to protect our guests from this inconvenience. We also fog the resort regularly to reduce the risk of mosquito bites. Unfortunately we can't eradicate the mosquitoes entirely (we are in the Tropics, after all), so we provide natural and organic mosquito lotion around the resort, and mosquito coils in the villas.

I do believe that we provide ample numbers of golf buggies around the Resort dropping guests to and from villas, restaurants, spa and beach. Some people do enjoy the exercise, but those who don't won't normally have to wait more than 5 minutes to be picked up. However being on a hilltop and the side of the mountain does also have the adventure of spectacular views and sunsets, so there is a trade off sometimes.

As it relates to "five star rudeness" I am very concerned by your evaluation of the staff here. I don't often receive negative feedback about the team and especially not the beach, but if I did it would not be about rudeness. If you have any specific feedback that you feel could be resolved then pleases drop me an email to alex.porteous@fourseasons.com and I will personally discuss with our team, I assure you of that.

Assuring you of my utmost attention to your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Lazare
Kempinski Seychelles Resort
Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#6 of 35 in Mahe Island

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!