“Very expensive - and worth every penny”

Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
London
“Very expensive - and worth every penny”
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The Four Seasons on Mahe is simply stunning. Yes,let's get this out of the way first, it's stunningly expensive, and if money is a real issue then you should probably avoid or else don't find out what the exchange rate is (everything is priced in Seychelles rupees and just as well). But to be fair to the hotel, the whole of the Seychelles is very expensive - if you're after a bargain go to Mauritius instead. Or sell some possessions because the Seychelles is a whole lot nicer than Mauritius. If you eat frugally and don't drink wine then you can manage the cost a bit. Our food bill came out cheaper than it would have been if I'd booked half board. The food, incidentally, is fine, although non-fish eating vegetarians may get a bit bored after a few days.

We got upgraded from a garden view villa to an ocean view one, and - wow, what a view. And what a room. Normally when I stay in even the most sumptuous of hotels I always feel a tad disappointed by the room, but here, once the guy had shown us round, we did a little jig of excitement. The bathroom was the size of most hotel bedrooms, with a sunken marble bath big enough to swim in (well, my son could float in it without touching the sides or bottom) and looking out over the aforementioned view. Just outside was a "plunge" pool which you could definitely swim in, with an infinity edge, again looking over that view. There was an outside shower (with the view!) and two-tiered deck with a couple of loungers, and a separate outdoor bed pavilion. Most of the villas are built on stilts on the (steep) hillside so you're at the same level as the tops of the coconut palms. The sea is the most amazing turquoise blue and fruit bats fly overhead. The huge bedroom had two double beds surrounded by mosquito nets (very romantic if you're not sharing with kids like we were!) and a sofa and table with a daily array of fresh fruit. Pity I didn't work out how to eat a mangosteen till the last day. I was feeling incredibly stressed when I left the UK as we'd been trying to sell our house and only exchanged two days before we left for the Seychelles, but just being in this beautiful place made all my stress disappear and I felt (unusually for me) almost serene. Even with two little kids in tow.

I simply don't get some of the comments I've read about service here. The service was perfect - the Seychellois people were lovely and friendly without the slightly annoying obsequiousness you sometimes get in Asia. if you wanted something you could collar any member of staff and they'd just get on with it. The buggies were prompt, with really friendly drivers (and while I'm on the subject of buggies, a lot of people have said these were a bit of a pain as they had to use them to get anywhere, but my kids (aged 4 and 6) loved them - they were one of the highlights of the holiday for them and made me glad we were a bit further from the main centre (although still only a five minute walk)). On our last day my husband had a problem with his Blackberry and an IT staff member appeared promptly to help out.

My kids used the kids club. The hotel was pretty empty when we were there (last week in August) so they were usually the only kids there. They both really enjoyed it, and it was handily situated by the main pool so we could easily drop them off for a couple of hours while we lounged on the beach or by the pool.

The beach was like paradise, with soft white sand and gorgeous blue and turquoise water, fringed by palm and casuarina trees. The helpful beach boys led you to a lounger and provided a jug of water. We were there during the South East monsoon which is supposedly cooler and drier than the North West one during the Northern Hemisphere's winter. However it was still quite wet and the sea was a bit rough - but not so rough that you couldn't swim from the beach. There's a reef off to oneside - the hotel lends you snorkelling equipment and it's well worth it for the amazing variety of fish, including small rays that swim near to the beach.

The only downside I can think of is that the hotel is so unutterably lovely that everywhere else is a bit of a comedown afterwards. We spent four nights here then went to the Lemuria on Praslin, but to be honest it would have been better to do it in reverse as it made the Lemuria seem a bit shoddy in comparison (although worth doing as there's much more to do on Praslin than on Mahe).

The Seychelles as a honeymoon destination is a bit of a cliche but I really can't see how any bride would be disappointed with a stay at this wonderful place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank rosiefromlondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I was in hiiltop ocaan view villa and i feel its dlapidated !!
staffs they are so friendly and so helpfull
at night hard to getting sleep cuz the geckos made strange noisy sounds at night shame for that the must do something to protect the dissgusting brown geacko !!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Thamer-Bin-Majed
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We had a hard time deciding if we were going to Seychelles, but when we got to the property, we were stunned. This is heaven on earth. The service at FS Seychelles is incredible and the view is incredible and the villas with their plunge pool are incredible.
The spa attendants go out of their way to help you in a nice not pushy, friendly manner. Go! you won't be dissapointed

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MCastle83
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2010

With my wife and 2 sons, we stayed for 10 nights in Aug 2010. The villas have everything you could need with a beautiful infinity pool at each one. Staff very friendly. Beach and hotel pool lovely. Expensive but then it is Four Seasons. Kids club only suitable for very young kids, say 6 and below. But our 2 boys, 11 and 9 loved the hotel, pools and beach. Excellent gym. The hotel is only about half full though so it can occasionally feel a bit deserted.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank CarnmoneyUK
London
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We have just returned from two weeks at the Four Seasons Seychelles. Four Seasons is a byword for impeccable service and quality but unfortunately they are let down by the Seychelles property. We have visited many Four Seasons and have always come back with looking forward to the next trip.

The Villas

As mentioned above it resembles a Four Seasons hotel. The hotel is very similar in concept to the Datai in Langkawi except that the villas are so much nicer and larger. Similar to the Datai it has a tree-house look in that the Villas are nestled within a “jungle” and that it has an alcove beach. Aesthetically the resort looks beautiful. I probably wouldn’t way it has that “wow” factor as I think their Sayan property has. None the less, it is a beautiful property. The Villa’s are quite large with their own pools. Unfortunately the water in the Villa pools is cold such that one never uses it. The Villa’s are graded and the higher you go, the more you pay. We had an Ocean View Villa which meant that through the heavy green foliage you could see the Ocean. The property has a total of only 67 Villa and is spread over a large area and as other users have commented that it is difficult to get around from the top or even mid way to the beach unless you are a sucker for punishment. I am not convinced that the hill-top villas are worth paying more for as most of the activity is near the beach and it will take a lot of exercise getting there and back for the 5-10 minute view that you will enjoy in the morning as most of the day you will be by the beach. The villas are nicely decorated with a huge bed and a large bathroom. Fresh fruit is bought every day to the Villas. I love Mangosteen and mentioned that and every single day they made sure there was a plate of these. Mangosteens aren’t available on the Island and weren’t there when we got there so I believe that these were flown in a few days after on my behest. Should you have children like us, then getting an ocean view villa or garden view villa is ideal as you will be closer to the beach and restaurants.

The Restaurants

The property essentially has 2 restaurants, ZEZ which is the main restaurant where breakfast is served and Kannel which is by the beachside. Besides ZEZ, there is a sushi bar/restaurant which serves mediocre sushi. Kannel is essentially a Creole restaurant which also serves some international dishes and one Saturdays has a Creole buffet. Most of the time we were there it wasn’t busy apart from buffer night as Creole food is an acquired taste. ZEZ has 2 evening where they do an Italian and Arabic buffet. Both these buffets are quite good. Hassan is an excellent chef, helpful and very approachable with regards recipes. The remainder of the week, ZEZ has an a la carte menu which will get quite repetitive after a few days. The sushi bar/restaurant is very average. Breakfast at ZEZ is varied but not as varied as many other Four Seasons I have been to. Maybe that is due to the fact that ZEZ is not big enough to have more varied food. I would probably have moved the breakfast to Kannel which is next to the beach and pool. As many readers have commented, these restaurants are not cheap for what they serve. Furthermore given that the hotel is quite some distance from anywhere it is difficult to get alternatives. The cost of getting a taxi one way to Victoria is 50E or using the hotels cars is extortionate. Hiring a car is probably better but the road are pitch black in the night with no road arm co to stop you from falling off the road should you make a mistake. In essence you are hostage to the hotels restaurants. After a few days the food becomes quite repetitive. Oh, and should you find yourself in Victoria and I can’t see why anyone would want to go, avoid Mary Antoinette restaurant is it is shockingly poor. That’s supposed to be the height of Creole cuisine in the Seychelles.

The beach

The alcove beach is picture postcard with probably the finest sand I have walked on. I was told that the snorkelling and diving is similar to the Maldives. There is some snorkelling as there is some coral of the beach about 100 yards or so. There simply is no comparison to the Maldives. There isn’t a huge amount of fishes to see and the variety is poor, so much so that I only ever went twice in the two weeks I was in the Seychelles. Maybe the snorkelling and diving was better away from the Four Seasons or on the other islands or maybe I just went at the wrong time of year. Finally I answered the question of should you go to the Maldives or Seychelles?

Sun loungers are set up by the attendants and water is bought to you. Intermittently fruit or ice is offered by the waiters. Menu’s are available to food will be bought up to you from the kitchen, but we found the food was always cold by the time it got to us.

That has been the objective appraisee of the hotel. The hotel lacked the Four Seasons magic. The service at best was indifferent and at worst very poor. This is largely due to the fact that the locals seem to view working there as just a job and show very little interest in the guests. The expats are very much in the Four Seasons mould, professional and very happy to serve the guests. The names of people who made our vacation that I can recall were Mohamed, Ahmed, Hassan, Robin and Patrick.
Service in restaurants was patchy, sometime you would order and people would forget. Other times plates would not be removed from the table, butter not one table in the morning. Although minor issues it isn’t what Four Seasons are about. Turndown in the evening was sporadic, once they knocked at 9pm.

The expat staffs are very friendly and knows your names and are helpful whereas the locals tend to keep to themselves. One gets a sense that there is an us and them in the staff ranks. Four Seasons have clearly understood this issue by getting the General Manager, Alistair Macalpine, from their Kuda Hura resort and many people from there to try and change the place.

The kids club is excellent in that the kids love going there. I would have said it was one of the better things about the resort but they managed to leave my son in front of the villa when instructed to bring him to the restaurant at 9pm. The child was left in pitch black by himself and was found crying. Incredibly irresponsible.

All in all an expensive resort which fails to deliver to the high Four Seasons standards. One of the rare occasions where I would avoid this Four Seasons. One final word of advice should you want to come to this resort inspite of what I have written, don’t use Air Seychelles.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank SFRLondon
Madrid, España
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The beach is awesome: soft, powder coral sand, trees right to the border of the sand (plenty of shade) and excelent service (towels, water, free snorkel equipment and even free fruit and ice cream served at your sun bed from time to time). There are some corals nearby and you can do snorkel right from the beach.

Be careful with the weather: in July it tends to rain some be prepared for some showers everyday, but with warm weather it is not much of a problem. The sea is also rough (waves of 0,5 to 1 metre) but if your kids love wave jumping (like mine does), it is a good way to spend the morning.

The villas are stunning: ample, well designed, luxurious and comfortable. The private pool is a great plus for the kids. We stayed at a garden villa and was great to be close to the beach and restaurant, without having to call a buggy car. You loose the views of the sea but gain convenience compared to the hilltops. The vegetation around the villas is impressive (looks like a jungle) and you can see plenty of fruit bats flying around dusk and dawn.

Breakfast buffet was great and the Egiptian chef very skilled. Fresh fruit in the room every day and even a complimentary bottle of champagne as a welcome.

The only cons we found were 1) too high prices for food and especially wine (be prepared to spend about 250-300 € a day for lunch and dinner for 2 adults/2 kids, with the most cheap wine references) and 2) some improvable service attitude by some staff (nothing too serious, but some time you had to ask twice for something and they kept asking your villa number after 6 nights having dinner there...). Housekeeping staff were very good. The international staff (Four Seasons employees that were assigned there) were much more professional and friendly than the local staff. However, I am afraid this is not so much a consequence of the management but may come from the slightly rough and unfriendly character of some Seychellois.

The instructor at the diving centre is quite professional.

By the way, if you rent a car (and it is quite a good idea, even for the airport transfer and a one-day excursion around the island, don't do it with Sixt: their service is quite poor in Mahe).

In brief: expensive but worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Fidias66
Helsinki
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights in July 2010 and we could not have been happier with our choice!

I studied a lot of hotels on tripadvisor before the trip and was a bit worried about some negative comments about Four Seasons. Therefore I hesitated a long time before I actually made the booking but it was the right choise without any doubt.

The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, easily the nicest one where I've ever stayed, and the surroundings are beautiful. The beach is small but cute with amazingly soft sand, snorkelling is good, food delicious, and there's lots of privacy.

Most negative comments here seem to relate to the service which I found to be perfectly good, maybe a bit slow at times but that seems to be the case in the Seychelles. For me the most important thing was to stay in gorgeous environment in an exclusive suite and this is where the Four Seasons really delivers. The private pool and lovely patio were the highlights of my 7 day stay in the Seychelles.

My only negative comment would be about the pricing for the rooms, services and food in the resort... It is all pretty expensive and unfortunately I am not rich enough to enjoy such holidays very often. :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#7 of 35 in Mahe Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,330 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!