“Amazing, but could have been more marvelous”

Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Reviewed 26 November 2010

This resort is incredible, but not my taste. The parts I loved and then the parts I found disappointing:

-Petite Anse is one of the most stunning beaches I've ever visiting—this resort's setting is fantastic. The island is teaming with life in a way that reminded me of the galapagos. The entire island of Mahe is beautiful--good roads, cute villages, the words best beaches, and lush plants.
-The Spa is beautifully situated with amazing views and the worldly staff is very talented. They exceeded my expectations with every treatment.
-To be in such a remote and pristine setting and still have A/C, endless bottled water (no charge), a four seasons bed, and your own plunge pool is very comfortable and luxurious.

-Very average food. It was almost always bland and greasy. It's expensive for what it is, but not expensive for a 5* resort. I would have been happier paying more if the food had been better. There was nothing particularly tasty and it was also difficult to eat healthily. I really enjoy thoughtfully prepared food, but if you're not a foodie you probably will like the food. Some things that I wouldn't expect at a four seasons: fake maple syrup, chocolate syrup (chocolate corn syrup) not real chocolate sauce. Nothing terrible, but the sort of food I would expect to find in Wisconsin.
-Aside from the front desk and spa, service was VERY slow and reluctant. The people who serviced my room always came very late and normally when I had just returned. Sometimes room service wasn't cleared for over 24 hours.
-The architecture and interiors weren't amazing (certainly weren't my taste)

Reading over my complaints they sound ridiculous, but I was disappointed. This Four Seasons didn't thrill me the way I expected it to (the way other F.S.-Bali, Paris, NYC, and Aman resorts have). My standards are wildly high, but I'm not dying to return to this resort, wouldn't recommend it, and have changed my spring plans to stay at the Four Seasons in the Maldives. The resort is still young (there is still construction) so maybe the food and service will improve.

If you do decide to go:
-Book a transfer from the airport. (or get a taxi, but if you want a transfer, you need to set it up ahead of time)
-The resort of like a small village on a hill, so if you'd like to be able to walk to the beach and restaurants, book a lower/less expensive villa.
-don't stay at nice hotels in Europe just before or after your trip--the contrast in service and food quality will depress you.

The Seychelles are amazing. If you haven't bee completely spoiled like me, go and enjoy this incredible place—and if you have been spoiled, focus on the beach, flora, and fauna.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Gandaratravels

Reviewed 26 November 2010

This place was out of this world - service, views, accommodation, beach, air, water, colors... anything here is just perfect, apart from food which needs some improvement. The food is not bad, it is just not memorable compared with anything else on this property.

The island doesn't offer much apart from amazing views, so you might feel a bit isolated if you are in for some shopping and night life. For those who appreciate beauty, who like being pampered (and you will get a lot of that here) and need serious rest, search no more.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sister-karamazov
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The excitement as our plane taxied to the terminal on arrival was only surpassed by our greeting by the smiling Phillipe of the hotel, who wisked us thru customs (with more then the alloted bottles of bubbles allowed). Waiting in the pouring rain, Phillipe pulled up with the hotel BMW SUV resplendant with lovely fresh hot coffee and two stacked lacquered boxes filled with incredible treats. The drive took longer then we had expected but on pulling up to the main lobby we knew that our 3 day journey from L.A. via Dubai was over.
Check in was quick and painless. We were then buggied to our mountain top purch of a villa number 106. We believe that it was not only one of the highest villas but situated smack in the middle of the resort giving the best overall view possible. We were met by a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne and a plate of fruits (which were changed daily).
Two hours later we were getting our first of several massages. Thank you Gretchen (spa mgr.) for a great staff and never a disappointing massage.
Our villa was heavanly. Not overly plush but understatedly tropically stunning. The bathroom cosmetics were lovely as were the towels and robes. First time ever at a Four Seasons that slippers were not provided (they were waiting for the next shipment from China). We brought our IPod and we were quite impressed that while the sound system was of good quality, the volume was not allowed to disrupt the other neighboring villas. Whether we were taking an outdoor shower or lounging in the hang out hut, we felt totally secluded and private.
Even thought the wife made me walk more then I wanted to (up and down the mountain side to restaurants and beach) the walking was not nearly as bad as some reviewers have made it out to. And the buggy service could not have been any better then it was. Sometimes the buggy would arrive more quickly then we anticipated.
The grounds were a constant source of beautiful reflection. The tropical foliage was always being maintained and cut back by the staff. Leaves swept from the buggy and walking paths at all times. The powdered sugar like beach was perfection. From the natural beauty, the warmth of the water and the warmth of the beach staff made visiting the private beach shangri-la like. We were contantly being provided with pitchers of ice water and fresh fruit. Cocktails were provided at all times. Water paraphanilia was discretly available for use (from snorkeling gear to wind surfers, kayaks and peddle boats).
Even though we are not buffet fans, the breakfast buffet was my wifes favorite meal of the day. If you don't see something that you like, just ask for it. Waffles were our favorites.
Lunch at Kanel by the pool was good but once again, you can always request something not on the menu. Most importantly, the beer was cold and the rose wine was lovely.
Dinner was served at both ZEZ and Kanel but our preference was ZEZ. Thank you to chef and Mohammad the restaurant manager. They took care of our every request. You must try the bat curry, just because.
Special thanks to Matt the resort mgr. From the time I sent my first email to him when I started planning our 9 night visit with my concerns about the negative reviews on the buggy service to the Mexican dinner, Matt was always available and a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks to Matt, Gretchen, Mohammad, Philippe, Mervyn and all the front desk staff. We got exactly what we expected. Four Seasons Service!

1  Thank Ken99
Reviewed 11 November 2010

We spent 6 nights at the resort as part of a two-week honeymoon that also included some time on Safari and in Cape Town. This was by far the most disappointing leg of our trip and it is just disheartening since there are so many wonderful places you can choose to spend your honeymoon and we chose wrong. Let me start by saying that the resort itself is beautiful and the rooms are gorgeous and the beach is probably the cleanest beach I have ever been on in my life. The resort is incredibly clean and you see people working all day long to keep the common areas looking pristine.

Our major issues with the resort were as follows: first, the service was terrible. They never once acknowledged that it was our honeymoon stay, even though they were made aware of it by our travel agent and by us on several occasions. Our room wasn't ready promptly, service at the restaurants is extremely slow (no one refilling your glasses, having to ask for the check on several occasions, etc.), our room would not be cleaned until very late in the day, etc. It is the service that usually sets Four Seasons hotels apart, and although these things seem minor, they add up to an overall frustrating experience.

Second, you are a completely captive audience and they take advantage of that with their outrageous pricing. The food and drink are so ludacrisly expensive that you have to just laugh, because you are stuck. There are very few places outside of the resort to eat, and options within the resort are limited. The food was decent, but nothing to rave about. I had to purchase a bottle of after-sun cooling gel from the hotel gift shop, which cost me (and I am not kidding) EUR 40. Excursions outside of the resort are similarly insanely priced. We took a taxi (and note I think there is one taxi that services the entire resort) literally 5 minutes outside of the resort to a nearby restaurant and back and it cost us EUR 30. Another couple we met at the resort had an issue where they would obtain pricing for excursions directly from the vendors, and then from the Four Seasons and the resort attempted to upcharge them by as much as 50%, which is just bad business.

We definitely made the best of our stay there...we spent a lot of time in our beautiful room and at the beach which truly was a pleasure. It was just upsetting to us to have travelled so far and to be so disappointed (and to not feel special at all on our honeymoon!). A note to honeymoon couples considering this resort...although you have a lot of privacy in your villa, note that the resort is full of families with young children, which is something I did not expect.

There is one restaurant we found outside of the resort that is worth making the trip to...Maria's Rock Cafe. Unique little gem where you cook your own food on a hot stone. Maria and her family are wonderful and the food and experience is great!

7  Thank amznyc
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The Four Seasons on Mahe is simply stunning location at Baie Lazare beach and for sure is one the best in the Seychelles. I really believe that the South West location in Mahe is the best in the islands. We stayed at Hilltop Ocean-View Villa (Villa 416) which was really private and one of the nicest views you can see from the pictures.

We arrived very early (9am) and we our villa was ready immediate and the other nice touch was the complimentary breakfast already waiting for us in the Villa, which we were not entitled to and we also had complimentary bottle of Champagne. All nice little touches to make your vacation start in the right note.

The hotel is very similar in concept and look to the Shangri-La resort in Boracay, Philippines which we visited in the beginning of 2010, but the villas are nicer in design. Similar to the Shangri-La it has a tree-house look in that the Villas are nestled within a bay and that it has an alcove beach with perfect white sand – white like a flour powder, soft and lovely. There is absolutely NO DOUBTD it is a beautiful property.

The Villa are quite large with their own pools. It is true the water in the Villa pools is cold but it is how you look at it – we look at it as plunge pool to cool of the sun, so no complains, but if you are with small children it can be a bit cold for somebody. The Villa’s are graded and the higher you go, the more expensive they are. Most of the villas are built on stilts on the steep hillside but the way it was constructed insured fantastic view from almost all Villa. It is really worth the Hilltop Ocean View Villa, we had unbelievable view, as I mentioned earlier. The resort has a total of only 67 Villa and is spread over a very large area so you really need a buggy to go around. We found that this is not a problem as long as you call 5-10 minutes before you actually need a buggy. Our villa was isolated and very, very private, so it is normal you to need some additional travel, but that was exactly what we need. This villa is perfect for romantic couples and honeymooners. The villas are nicely decorated with a huge bed and a large bathroom – the size of the bathroom is like 50sq.m with L’Occitane amenities and many wardrobes. My favorite part of the bathroom was the outside shower with the nice view and two-tiered deck with a couple of loungers, and the separate outdoor bed pavilion.

Fresh fruit is bought every day to the Villas and if you need some specific for example bananas or plums you can ask and they will be delivered to the room.

However, should you have children, then getting a garden view villa is probably better as you will be closer to the beach and restaurants.

The alcove beach is picture postcard and we did some snorkelling which was nice. Sun loungers are set up by the attendants and FREE water ON ICE with fruit is bought to you. From time to time fruit or ice is offered by the waiters. I have to say that diving and snorkeling is way much better in the the Maldives.For my personal taste also Maldives is more romantic and for sure the local Maldivian people are nicer than the local Seychellois people (For the service of local people I’ll talk later)

I saw for example the new Raffles resort, which is in construction on Praslin Island and I really saw that this place have absolutely no beach, there is a road between the resort and the beach (going to Anse Lazio beach). The beach in front of Raffles is like ONE meter! I would not want to spend 1000 Euro a night in a place without a beach !

I would like to really discuss the problems with the service. There is huge difference between the Local Seychellois people which are REALLY UNFRIENDLY and REALLY LAZY and the FANTASTIC CREW OF FOUR SEASONS PERSONELL – Expats from all over Europe and Asia – Great people from Bali, Philippines, Malaysia, Mauritius, and so on. The expat staffs are very friendly and PROFESSIONAL like personnel in all other Four Seasons hotels. They know your names and are helpful, whereas the locals are JUST TERRIBLE. The problem itself in Seychelles is Generic – the resorts BY LAW MUST HIRE CERTAIN AMOUNT OF LOCAL PEOPLE. That is what is killing the service in the Seychelles everywhere – no matter which resort. We went to Praslin and LaDigue and on the other islands the situation is exactly the same. Four Seasons have made fantastic efforts, but they can do only do their best, but they cannot replace all locals with professionals expats. For example, on breakfast the local people forget what was ordered, never pour you another orange juice, delay orders and never, never sip you up a coffee in the glass. Service in restaurants was bad whenever you must have contact with local waitress , sometime you would order and people would forget. Other times plates would not be removed from the table, butter not one table in the morning. They only drop you the coffee jug on the table and that is it. When I told that to some European waiter they were ashamed of their colleagues. I believe that the expats are working 5 times harder than the Seychellois people. That means that no way I can agree with the reviewer “rosiefromlondon” that the local people are friendly. Locals are smiling only when they dancing and drinking their favorite Takamaka Bay Rum, and never when they must work. They simply have no idea how to service people.

The Seychellois people are quite rich people leaving many years in “socialism” and are one of the MOST UNFRIENDLY NATION to the tourist I’ve EVER seen. For example we were told that Four Seasons could not purchase their own boat, because they must use a local company by law. For example the diving operation was run by a Dutch guy Leo, married for Seychellois wife and he has the license as local. The dive boat was really bad and the service is definitely not according to the Four Seasons standard. This view was shared with my diving friends as well.

I believe that explanation will help to understand why in generally in Seychelles the service at best was indifferent and at worst very poor. This is largely due to the fact that the locals seem to view working there as just a job and show very little interest in the guests. The expats are very much in the Four Seasons mould, professional and very happy to serve the guests. The names of people who made our vacation that I can recall were Christina Miesl (Austrian girl) from the front desk, Robin Bhugalo (recreation manager from Mauritius) and Chef Vernon from the Kennel restaurant (Mauritius as well).

The property has 2 restaurants, ZEZ which is the main restaurant where breakfast is served and Kannel which is by the beachside. Besides ZEZ, there is a sushi bar (actually located in ZEZ bar which serves mediocre sushi. Kannel is essentially a Creole restaurant which also serves some international dishes and one Saturdays has a Creole buffet. ZEZ has 2 evening where they do an Italian and Arabic buffet. We visit the Italian buffet which was quite good.

I encourage you to talk to Chef Vernon from Kennel and ask him for the fresh fish – Catch of the day – he made for us fantastic dishes, grilled and blackened local tuna, Tuna steaks, fresh grilled yahoo and swordfish, Grilled Red snapper and so on. The key is to eat LOCAL FISH ! The food then is great. I also asked Mr. Vernon some specials and he even delivered them for romantic dinners in our villa. Breakfast at ZEZ is varied but not as varied as some other Four Seasons I have been to. For sure it is also due to the fact that ZEZ is not big enough to have more varied food. Some revisers also recommended that it is probably betters to move the breakfast to Kannel which is next to the beach and pool.
As many readers have commented, these restaurants are not cheap for what they serve. Furthermore given that the hotel is quite some distance from anywhere it is difficult to get alternatives. The cost of getting a taxi one way to anywhere in the island is 40Euro or using the hotels cars is extortionate. One word of advice – do not use the hotel airport transfer which is 200 Euro plus tax and service (240 Euro in total ONE WAY !) and just get a taxi for 40 Euro. I would also DO NOT recommend to hiring a car is probably because the road are pitch black in the night with no road arm co to stop you from falling off the road should you make a mistake. Also the locals are drinking like hell over the weekends causing some serious accidents on the road.

One VERY BIG RECCOMENDATION – THE VISIT IN “MARIA ROCK CAFÉ” for dinner is a MUST DO! Five minutes away from the hotel they have great food, which you cook on hot plates yourself. Maria get’s absolutely the freshest possible fish and shellfish and some nice South African wines. The dinner for 4 people with 2 bottles of wine is 100 Euro – a fraction of the price in Four Seasons. We had our Italian friends with us and they were very happy. And if the spoiled by good food Italians are so happy, you can trust the place. MARIA ROCK is superb, really highly recommended, worth multiple visits!

All in all, we had fantastic holiday in beautiful resort. The only problem we had was that the whale shark (the largest fish on the planet) season this year finish one month earlier and we were not lucky to see again these majestic marine creatures. Last year the whale shark season finish on 15th November, this year on 15th October. Global warming…

So we are looking to be back to this lovely Four Seasons resort next year in the end of September and beginning of October. In that season the beach was like paradise, with soft white sand and gorgeous blue and turquoise water, with NO WAVES until mid of November. Please be aware in Seychelles the weather is very difficult to predict and is important on which island you are, what time of the year and also which side of the island you are in.

10  Thank ivo_k
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The resort is set on a beautiful spot. Villa rooms are huge especially the bathroom. Huge swimming pool in the villa is great. It is big enough to swim and enjoy the view. The property is well maintained and clean. Beach is one of the best you will find.

It is not possible to walk all the times due to distance between the beach and villas. You have to rely on the buggy service. There is a lot of variety in food, but quality is a bit lacking. Snack/Lunch menu is overly priced compared to the quality of the food on offer. Avoid the Middle eastern Buffet. Italian and local buffet were very good.

There is some lack of activities on the beach. For instance no Jet Ski, Sailing or other organized events. You have to use outside services.

Service was a bit lacking but picked up after a minor complaint. Improvement in food, service and activities can make this resort as good as FS Kuda Huraa.

Reviewed 3 November 2010

We just returned from our six days holidays to Seychelles Four Seasons hotel with my husband. We went for our anniversary. The hotel is amazing, the rooms are huge, the pool is lovely, indoor and outdoor shower with a bath tab in the room "sinking" in the pool. We had villa 405 with enough sun exposure for us but the better facility in the room was the pavilion looking to the trees and the sea.
Restaurants especially the Kannel had great food, great service and best ambience. ZEZ sushi was the best sushi i tried lately after our 3 days first spend in Dubai and ate at OKKU japanese.
Breakfast was excellent but the biggest problem of the hotel was that it was fully booked and there was lack of staff.
The beach, the sea and evertyhing else down there together with the pool bar were all perfect.
But the hotel is extremely expensive you need to spend at least 250 euros per day for a couple for a proper dinner and a wine , and some salads for lunch.

It is a very romantic place and perfcet for honeymooners and couples. Even though lots of kids entertained by the kids club which was great too.

1  Thank Eugenia_Kassianidou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Lazare
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!