“Good but not excellent like we expected”

Kempinski Seychelles Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
London
“Good but not excellent like we expected”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I feel bad as I've been reading such great reviews about this place. Now don't get me wrong, we had a great time but having been to other Kempinski hotels it was not up to the standard we felt.

We arrived at mid-day, check-in was really quick, they showed us around a bit and took us to our room. The girl who escorted us wasn't sure where the room us which I thought was a bit unprofessional. Of course, it is anew hotel so these things will happen. I would' expect her to know everything by heart already but I'd expect her to check it before we went. Anyway. The room was brilliant. We got upgraded from hill view to beach view as we were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had everything we needed, it was big enough, lovely decoration,nice bathroom with huge shower, very very comfortable bed and European and UK plugs which I think is very convenient. There were some small issues on day 1 like we wanted to order room service but we had no menu in the room which I thought as a bit strange but again I think this is all because it has only recently opened and it will be smoother as time goes by. When we ordered room service we also got a lovely surprise of champagne and a cake. Also they had decorated our bed really nicely which was a nice touch.

Breakfast was really yummy, actually their buffet restaurant I thought was outstanding. Breakfast and dinner. The chefs were all really nice, always up for a chat and a tour to explain what the theme and dishes of the night was. Really one of the best buffets we've had. On the other hand we tried L'indochine one night as it was complimentary due to our anniversary and we really disappointed. It was not bad, but it was not good either. from our 3 course meal only the soups were good enough to comment that they are yummy. The rest was really boring. I got the lobster as a main dish and found there was no taste. We didn't for it as it was part of the package so we didn't mind as much but its a shame. I noticed it was empty every night as well, only a few tables outside, which makes sense since the buffet was so good and a lot cheaper!

Also, if you do eat on that restaurant try and get a tape as far as possible from the entrance. We sat near the entrance, outside but were very near to the live cooking of the buffer restaurant which meant it was very noisy and lets say not so romantic. It would have been nice if they could do something about this, even if its placing some plants for the evening meals.

The hotel ground are amazing. Beautiful location, lovely beach to look at but unfortunately not to swim in. Now I come from Greece so I know I'm a bit too strict about this but tis impossible to swim there as the waters are very shallow and its full of rocks. Its a beautiful beach to walk around though and take lovely beaches but we found we swam at the swimming poll (which was lovely!!) and other beaches outside the hotel.

Spa is nicely located at the back of the hotel with lovely views but we didn't really enjoy the treatments. They were good (one of them not even that) but not great which was a bit disappointing. We tried it twice and then went to the four seasons spa for another day which was great. It is worth visiting even just to look at the views! Breathtaking!!! And the beach at four seasons is amazing so worth visiting!!

Staff for the most part were great and very very helpful! Only problem we had we on check out we realised we got charged for watching a movie when it was clearly stated on the tv that the charge is 0. We told the receptionist twice clearly indicating that we have checked it and there was no cost. Her reply was: Thank you for letting me know, I will bring it up to the it department. Well to be honest, I was expecting them to take it out of the bill. Its a matter of principle. It was not a lot of money obviously compare to what we payed for a week but still. It seemed a bit unprofessional. In the end, I called reception from the room -I didn't want to make a big deal out of it before I had checked the tv again in case I was wrong- and I politely explained to her that the two first movies showed charges but the other 18 didn't and she offered to refund the money.

All in all it is a lovely hotel, and you are bound to have an amazing time. I think I am being a bit harsh with them because we have stayed to other Kempinski hotels that were truly exceptional and this was not up to the standard. I think if we didn't have such high expectations I would probably have written a more positive review if this makes sense!

Lastly, as other have mentioned it is a bit of a joke that people put their towels on the sun beds to secure them for the day. We'd usually sit by the swimming pool right after breakfast and there was hardly any left but none was actually using them. They would just leave some magazines, or a t-shirt. We only stayed for a couple of hours each time and by the time we'd left the people 'using' them where still not there. We did tell the hotel and they said they had a policy of removing the ones that were not being used but it never really happened. Just a small annoying thing that we encountered on a daily basis.

I also forgot to mention that the rooms we very very clean!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed very similar to us. Maybe just ask to be nearer the reception so that you don't...
5 Thank oneyear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pune, India
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I just returned from my honeymoon at this amazing resort. Its newly opened and it can easily become one of the best resorts in Seychelles. The beach view room is literally on the beach. The beach is one of the best beaches on Seychelles. Even the nearby beaches (Anse Intendance, Anse Royale) are among the best in Seychelles. We visited Anse Lazio on Praslin, but found the Mahe beaches to be the better ones.

The service and staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. Feel free to ask them anything.

The rooms are spacious & cleaned atleast twice a day. The bed is really comfortable and beautiful too.

There is a business centre near the reception with free internet and printer, etc. The breakfast is everything you expect at a 5 star resort.

Will surely return some day!

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the reception to avoid the long walks or buggy rides.
1 Thank AnandPopat
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Kempinski delivers on its name

We booked this hotel last year as a promotional deal when the hotel was not open yet and there were no reviews yet. We were hoping knowing this brand that the hotel would not disappoint us. And it surely did not! Nor did the Seychelles as it was our first time in this beautiful country.
We arrived into Mahe small airport at 6.15am and we were collected by the travel agents to bring us to the hotel, we had to wait for other travellers to join us – it took about 35min drive, so at 7.40am we were already at the hotel.

Check in
There was another couple who arrived with us, they checked us all in very quickly, showing around the hotel and explaining the rules. Please note that they do request for your credit card at the time of check in and they preauthorize certain amount for your whole stay – it depends on the amount of days, I think it is 1000rupees per day. We got a cold welcome drink – apple juice with mint - and a cold refreshing towel. We got a room in a building just next to the reception, on the ground floor, our bags followed on a little golf car.
We did appreciate this early check in as normally the check in time would be from 12 in most hotels. We also did appreciate that we could have breakfast that day upon our early arrival in exchange for a breakfast on our last day as we were to leave the hotel early at 4am upon our departure. This was a nice touch and put us in good moods immediately.

The room
The room was a decent size with huge comfortable bed, separate living area, huge flat TV, ipod docking station, radio and alarm, separate working/kitchen area with built in wardrobes, desk, fridge-mini bar. The mini bar was filled in with all complimentary items, only if you wanted to replace them you would pay for the additional items.
We liked the décor of the room, one could see that a lot of effort was put in order to make the room give the luxurious look we expected from Kempinski. We were on the ground floor so we could step into the outside terrace overlooking the garden, with the 2 chairs and table for sitting outside. There is a pond there so we expected mossies in the evening, but this was not the case. We did notice that the resort is being fumigated each afternoon, so probably that is what keeps the flying insects away.
The bathroom was very nice, with huge shower area, plenty of towels, and toiletries replaced twice a day. Leave your hairdryer at home the one they have here is very good. There is a kettle, tea, coffee – also being replaced every day complimentary, which is good if you want a coffee early on your terrace. They cleaned the room twice daily and change your bed clothes every day. There was also a turn down service in the evening and they brought in a bottle of water every day for each guest. The TV had a few channels in English, German, Arabic and others – if there was a storm the channels did not work. There is an electronic safe available in the room without any extra charge. They even have an umbrella in case you need it – which we unfortunately did. The efficient AC is on at all times, it is a hot tropical climate and it would be extremely difficult to enjoy your room without it. The electricity plug ins are both European style and the UK 3pins style, which we appreciated as we did not have to use the adaptor.

The hotel
We liked the look of the hotel and its surroundings. Each building is only 1 storey high and gives a cosy filing – only 150 rooms. The reception area is open and you could see a swimming pool and the see from it which is lovely.
The grounds of the hotel are immaculate with a very lovely palm tress and other growth which gives it tropical look.
We were not very lucky with the weather, it did rain every day, however not for long, but the showers were very strong and intense, we also had plenty of clouds – but beware as you could still get a sunburn being on a lounger in the cloudy weather. The temperature was always high though – above 30C – which we absolutely loved.
The swimming pool is long but quite narrow; luckily there were never more than 5 people in it so one could enjoy a swim. There are plenty comfortable loungers around the pool and the beach in some areas, we actually never had a problem of finding available loungers even though we were told the hotel was fully booked at the time of our stay.
The beach is very nice with a lot of vegetation and palms, blue warm waters, but very strong tides and currents. At the low tide you could walk very far and the water will not be even knee high, however at the high tide the water comes up right at the vegetation so the beach totally disappears then. We did enjoy swimming in such warm water – but please bring your swimming shoes, there are plenty of sea urchins on the bottom, corals and it’s safer not to step on them. You do not have to bring your snorkel equipment if you don’t want – the hotel has them complimentary for all guests – we brought our own anyway as we did not know. There are also kayaks for guests – which we did avail to our great pleasure.
The hotel itself is located in Baie Lazare – there is a bus stop 3 minutes outside the hotel gate, but please note that it takes about 20min walk from the reception to the gate and the road is extremely steep. We always drove or we were given a lift – do not attempt to ride a bicycle there unless you are an athlete Regarding bikes, there are complimentary bikes for rent from the reception, but you cannot use them outside the resort.
There is a take away, cafeteria and a shop close to a bus stop there. It takes about 1h on the local bus to get to/from Victoria to the hotel.

Meals
We were on breakfast board basis only and we would advise that you would take a half board option, as the buffet dinners are quite expensive 65Euro per person plus taxes – even though they are very tasty, with a live cooking station every evening, grilled meats/fishes and many other tasty dishes to choose from, not to mention the heavenly desserts.
The breakfasts in the mornings were absolutely delightful, with freshly squeezed juices, eggs made any way you want them, sausages, bacon, porridge, grilled tomates/mushrooms, plenty of fruits, cold meats platter, cheese platter, yoghurts, oriental corner-fried noodles, fried rice, dim sum, plenty of pastries. Our favourite was omelettes made to our order – you must try one! The staff was very attentive, changed your plates very quickly however at busy times we waited very long for our tea/coffee to be refilled.
There is a bar just at the pool and the beach – with lovely but expensive drinks and coctails. You must try one with the Takamaka Rum – local rum produced in Seychelles. We also liked the local beer Sey Brew.

Entertainment
Do not expect Caribbean style entertainment in Seychelles! It is a total different more peaceful ambient – which we quite enjoyed. There is a live music every evening at the bar, there is a pool room – which we did play a couple of times, and a piano if somebody wants to try. This however suited us fine.

Overall
We totally enjoyed our holidays in Seychelles and we would definitely recommend Kempinski as your base on Mahe. It is a luxurious hotel which definitely delivers on its name however expect to pay 5* prices for meals and drinks.
I just add here that we did make an effort and did some travel in order to see all Mahe, Praslin and La Digue which we also highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank izakrak
Maaseik
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We had a perfect holiday at this hotel. From the moment we arrived until the last second.
The rooms are spacious, with all the luxury you can imagine. Even an iPod docking staion in the room. We had a sea view room which was like 25 meters to the beautifull white beach. Its really quit, you don't hear any noises except the sea! The swimmingpool is stunnung, its huge but also very quit.

The complete staff know what hospitality is. Nothing is to much for them and you always get a friendly answer. Special compliments to Jenny, Valerie and Mervin. You did a great job!

So don't hesitate to book this hotel, there is only one problem.
Once you have been here, there is no way back....
This hotel set the standards really high!

Absolute an example how it should be !

Compliments to Kempinski Seychelles Baie Lazare

2 Thank richardjustyna
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I arrived on the day of the grand opening of the hotel on 01st of March and made the Kempi my base for the week-long stay on Seychelles.
For the opening night the resort spared no expense to put on one of the most extensive and expensive spreads I have seen in a while, plus an eyecatching firework over Baie Lazare which illuminated the night. The icing on the cake though were the Samba dancers from the Notting Hill Carnival who then went on to perform in the Seychelles Carnival Festival and lifted the first prize for best foreign float. They got the crowd on their feet alright for the minute costumes as well as their dance moves.
Staying on the food, the dinners were well presented and from soup to desert left my taste buds animated and asking for more. There were two active cooking stations every day for dinner, a grill outside for meats and seafood and station indoors where the cooks whistle up creations rich in texture, colours, taste and calories, as if what was presented along the main buffet was not already causing one to make painful choices what to eat and what to leave.
Their chefs were hands on and close up, at the buffet at breakfast, for lunch and dinner, ready to answer questions as to ingredients and recipes, recommend food combinations and, lo and behold, go to the kitchen to make a special dish and serve it with a smile.
I tested their resolve repeatedly and they rose to the challenge every time, be it for prawns in coconut milk, liberal interpretations of Egg Benedict, Egg Florentine and Egg 'Norddeutsche Kampfansage' or the whim of a moment order of a mousse de chocolate ...
Considering the resort is only open now since a few weeks, soft opening period included, that food will surely be the hallmark of the Kempinski Seychelles Resort in the future.
The service in the restaurant, while still coming together in general as keenly observed, was in my case simply superb as Laurelle, Johir and Govind apparently 'adopted' me for my free style, engaging attitude towards the staff and informed comments on food, service and sundry and I cannot thank them enough for making every single meal I had in the main restaurant an event in its own right. And when they figured on day one I did not fancy glass cups for my tea, which I preferred with two tea bags in the pot and cold cream instead of hot milk, on all subsequent days I got proper porcelain cups and my tea served to suit my taste.
To the more critical aspects of my review: I knew the 'old' Plantation Club and while the main building was substantially re-modelled, and to the better for sure, the previous accommodation blocks were kept. It makes the resort appear as it could be anywhere else, with little Seychellois architecture or style visible on those, other than the traditional iron sheet roofs seen everywhere on the archipelago. These huge blocks are no longer state of the art but to their credit the owners spared little expense to make the rooms and suites as complete as one can wish for, quality visible in every aspect of it, including sufficient sockets to use all chargers for batteries and still have one or two to spare. Better though would have been to demolish them and build villas and cottages, considering the huge size of the property.
In the bathrooms I missed the 'green card', reminding guests to only put towels on the floor when they wish them changed as otherwise their effort to help preserve water and energy would be most welcome, something I sorted on day two with a hand written note to the housekeeping staff, who happily obliged me instead of changing towels twice a day and changing bedding daily ...
I could go on about not being enthusiastic about the colour scheme on the main building or the 'Kempinski Kids Club', though their architect would probably take offense that I raised an issue with the gray tones ...
The Kempi's Spa - visited but not used - as well as the gym were state of the art and equipped with the latest innovations, so again no expense spared there.
With 150 suites and rooms the Kempinski Seychelles is a big resort, compared to many others where one only finds as few as 10 or at most 25 suites, villas or rooms, but the 63 hectares of ground and the mile long strip of beach make the guests literally find their own nooks and crannies to get privacy unless they want to join the throng around the pool side area.
And in ending, the staff at the reception, multilingual all of them, excelled with knowledge and wit which ever was required to answer probing questions, as only travel writers can conjure up.
Comes recommended as a resort for culinary delights within a price range surprisingly affordable considering the Kempinski name on the front gate and while not 'Seychellois per se', it is located on the Seychelles, and that is what matters.

Room Tip: MAke sure you get sea facing for a lighter, brighter atmosphere and if you can afford it, take the s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Safariafficionado
Worcestershire
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Like the other reviewers to date, we stayed during the soft launch period. Top marks for the rooms - we were upgraded to a deluxe sea view, having booked an ordinary sea view room. The only difference appears to be a bath!
The bed was supremely comfortable and there was plenty of wardrobe space and a huge bathroom.
The location is fantastic - Baie Lazare was a perfect beach with which we had almost to ourselves. Snorkelling inside the reef was excellent. The hotel is surrounded by high granite cliffs and boulders at the rear, which are covered in beautiful foliage and trees.

There is an excellent spa, and my wife - something of a spa connaisseur - pronounced her 90 minute treatment to be one of the best she had experienced anywhere.

All the staff were excellent and really friendly. With 150 rooms, I was amazed that several of the staff knew our names and were genuinely interested in having a conversation with us.

Food and service in the Cafe Lazare was excellent and a buffet with a different theme each evening ensured that dinner was always a surprise. There was also a live cooking station. The only weakness was the Restaurant Indo Chine. It seemed too clever and the menu appeared as though it had been created by a committee! The idea of having several small meals is good, but the dishes themselves did not really appeal. What was needed was a really good fish restaurant using the fabulous range of fish that are caught locally!

Overall, this is an excellent resort - really relaxing, with friendly and professional service in an environment that really captured the island's character.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, only the locations are different. As the resort is quite small - only 15...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank midsummersteam
Saint-Petersburg
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I have just come back from Kempinski Seychelles where we celebrated our weddind and honeymoon. I must say we couln't made a better choice to celebrate such a special day of our life. Thanks to Kempinski staff (all of them but specially to Katharina, events manager) our wedding day was perfectly organised and everything went smoothly. Romantic dinner on the beach with special Valentine's menu, loads of candles, a sound of the ocean, perfect service etc. etc.
The rooms are big enough and comfortable, with loads of space for suitcases and a big wardrobe. Food was also very good and we were spoilt by Food&Beverage dpt. so ended up eating at the resort all the time rather than going out.
SPA deserves a special thank you from my husband. He was never interested in massage untill he met a therapist Tuti in Kempinski (the spelling of the name might be not 100% correct).
I can go on and on but to cut a long story short it was a great holiday in a great hotel and it was worth each penny spent there.

Room Tip: All rooms have great view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NatashaGallie
Pierre_U_Stacher, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear NatashaGallie,

Thank you for taking time in posting your comment on Trip advisor regarding your stay at the Kempinski Seychelles.

We are pleased to have you in our care and are happy that we have been able to take part in one of the most momentous time in your marriage. Your positive comments on our dedicated team members will be our inspiration to keep us on the right track in giving the best possible quality of service.

We wish you a blissful life together as we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the resort.

Very best regards,
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles

Been to Kempinski Seychelles Resort? Share your experiences!