“Don't stay here”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glacis
New York City, New York
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am sitting in a room that has no working air conditioner - it's about 35c right now - with bugs crawling up the sink - because the sewage is backed up - and no hot water. Last night I was given a foam brick - oops pillow - to sleep on because there were no other foam pillows. While the manager first told me the hotel was full now - because I complained rather loudly - will try to move me. No thank you. I don't think another room will be better. Stay anywhere but here!

Room Tip: No rooms are good rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Iamjane D
Sharifa P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Iamjan D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. Your input and feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and we always strive to meet our guest expectations.

Although it is very disheartening to receive this kind of feedback, I do believe it is the most important way to measure the quality of our service, and how best to improve on those areas in which we fail to deliver and Make it Right on our guests expectations.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort and Spa in the future.

Kind Regards
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We enjoyed not only for beuatiful blue ocean and sky, but also the starry heavens in this hotel. I cannot forget the view, bright shining Orion falling down to sea holizon, Southern Cross. The staff of this hotel provided us of the proactive service which we want, especially for taxi arrangment, excursion arrangment, late-checkout arrangment (depends on availability), etc.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Sharifa P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Takaaki H,

First and foremost, we would like to say thank you for the wonderful review that you have shared on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Northolme Resort and Spa Resort.

We are truly pleased to read you were extremely satisfied with the facilities and service we offered in our resort and that the team made you feel home far away and hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Seychelles Hotels.

Windisch, Aargau, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

In short: the most amazing resort we've ever stayed at, with the warmest, most genuinely friendly staff we've ever met!

Long version: we're nearing the end of our 10 day-stay at Hilton Northolme and it's a beautiful sunny morning as I'm writing this from the balcony of our villa, overlooking the ocean. We've been here on our honeymoon and to be honest we had some small doubts prior to arriving, especially after reading some of the other reviews. Thankfully, literally everything was perfect and we had NONE of the problems other people mentioned whatsoever. In fact, I can truly say that we were constantly pleasantly surprised with big and little things that made our stay here one we'll never forget.

First of all, the people: they are truly exceptional and the resort's most important asset. I was in touch with Dario even before we arrived and my word, what a remarkably helpful, friendly and pleasant guy! He went above and beyond to make sure we'll be happy and was at our disposal throughout for anything we might need. Meeting him personally after we arrived was a pleasure and he helped us time and again with anything from small things to organizing a fantastical birthday surprise for my wife. In my experience such people are rare and Hilton is truly lucky to have him. Also, every single one of the staff we came in contact with was amazing: always greeting us with a genuine smile (from the front-desk people to the security guards), very open and friendly (we had the fortune of chatting with several of them and it was great to learn so much about different cultures and people) and always helpful. It was a blessing to feel so welcome by everyone (with special nods to Clara, Isuru, Robin, James and Umesh).

The resort itself is fantastic as well: set on a hillside facing the ocean and Beau Vallon bay, all of the villas (even the hillside ones) have an ocean view and, should you get a higher-up villa, you'll be able to enjoy amazing sunsets overlooking the ocean and Silhouette island. Also, we particularly enjoyed the "feel" of the resort. We've visited some of the other 5-star resorts here during our stay and somehow Northolme seems the most homey. Maybe because of the way vegetation is everywhere with paths and villas just poking through, maybe because everything more closely feels like a true creole experience, maybe because it's not flat but rather layered along the hill (some 3-4 stories from the water to the top villas or the hilltop restaurant)...for us it just clicked. Don't get me wrong, the other resorts are beautiful as well, but for us Northolme closest resembled the sort of accommodation we'd expect to experience in the Seychelles.

Resort facilities: spa (was my wife's home away from home :p) which is set on top of a small cliff directly on the ocean and features some tropical "open" showers, gym with several treadmills and weight-lifting machines and barbells, infinity pool overlooking Beau Vallon bay, library/games room, buffet restaurant (more on that later), ocean view bar and a-la-carte restaurant. There is also a small beach, but the concept is more of a jungle-beach: that is, the chairs are placed literally in the jungle and you have to go down 3-4 steps to reach the water. If you're after a "real" beach then Beau Vallon is 3-5 minutes away by car or about 15 on foot. However, since Northolme's beach is in a mini-bay, snorkeling here is great and there's lots to see. Check out the nice corals near the edges of the bay where fish abound (we saw at least 20 different species). Also, while we were snorkeling we had the chef throw some small buns to the fish triggering a feeding frenzy! Great stuff! :) Additionally, there are free-to-use kayaks (1 and 2 persons) on the beach and you can simply take them out (life-jackets and snorkeling equipment included) and snorkel around the shoreline wherever you want! We were here in May and water was very calm, as opposed to the south of the island in the same period when waves can be up to 3 meters high and swimming is not allowed.

Food: pretty amazing. Breakfast offers a HUGE choice (pastries, cold stuff, fresh and delicious tropical fruit, yogurts, milk and flakes, warm pre-cooked dishes and a chef which makes delicious omelets on the spot with your chosen ingredients) plus daily "healthy choice" food (I can strongly recommend the homemade yogurt muesli with local-flavoured honey). Buffet dinner is differently themed every day and delicious as well: my recommendation is the seafood buffet where you pick different types of raw seafood, season it to your taste and two chefs grill it to your liking on the spot. The buffet also includes sweets, including the best lemon-cake tartines I ever had in my life :) There is also the Les Cocotiers a-la-carte restaurant. When we arrived there were some x-course dinner menus but during our stay the menu was changed and now it's truly a-la-carte. We tried grilled prawns and chicken with some sauces and they were both very tasty. Finally, there's the ocean view bar where you can find lots of cocktails and smoothies and it features live music 2-3 nights a week. The drinks are very good and cocktails are served in some fancy glasses, the view is superb, but beware that one corner of the bar tends to get some rather unsavoury odors from the ocean. Fortunately it's just a corner and you'll spot it right away.

Room: I can only suppose all rooms are alike, but don't know for sure. However, the villa we had (king hillside villa) was superb. Decorated in creole fashion it was all wood, with a magnificent baldachin bed (raised above floor-level so one can see the ocean outside), traditional creole paintings and art on the walls, wooden ceiling fan (though air-conditioning is also available), two sofas, various lively-coloured pillows throughout and subtle lighting. As I have some neck problems I especially appreciated the different kinds of available pillows which helped a lot for a good night's sleep. There was no hint of the construction noise mentioned in other reviews, but we did have a villa far away from the construction site. If the main room is huge, so is the bathroom: it featured twin-sinks with old-style cross-handle faucets and a mirror open-shower/jacuzzi bathtub layout on an all-wooden floor. Both main room and bathroom open to the terrace which is itself also pretty big, featuring several beach chairs, normal chairs and a recliner chair and overlooks the ocean and palm-trees further down on the hillside. Modern amenities are also provided: flat-screen tv, freezer, wifi internet, phone, led reading lights next to the bed and surround sound system (though we didn't try it). Although it's a matter of personal taste, I feel that the design of the villas and rooms at Northolme truly captures the creole spirit and for us it was exactly what we expected from a resort in the Seychelles.

Activities: the resort organizes activities daily so there's lots to do (tours, visits etc). In our case however we chose to rent a car and do a lot of exploring on our own so I can't comment much on the actual activities. What I can say though is that some seemed particularly interesting, like for example cooking lessons with the resort's chefs, which btw are truly nice guys as well :)

Location: the resort is located in the northwest of Mahe, about 3-5 min drive from Beau Vallon beach and 15-20 min drive from the capital Victoria. Looking at the map previous to arrival it seemed that Mahe is a small island and location therefore mattered less. However, once here, after taking several trips to the south of the island we realized that even though distances are relatively small, driving from Victoria to the south means passing the mountains in the center of the island on an endlessly winding road, meaning a trip of at least 30 min (up to 1h+ for beaches/hotels way down south). So, in our opinion the location of Northolme is pretty good as it allows one to get to Victoria very quickly which means more possibilities to do stuff. Of course, much of it depends on whether you rent a car or not, but even if you don't, there is a mini-market within 5 min walking distance and Beau Vallon (with multiple mini-markets and restaurants) within 15 min walking distance. Another option is to simply take out one of the kayaks provided and paddle to either Beau Vallon (south) or Sunset Beach (north)!

Prices: I guess it depends on one's frame of reference. We found prices in the resort to be comparable to fancy restaurant prices in Germany or Switzerland. Which is to say they are relatively expensive, but far from "exorbitant" as we were reading before coming here. Again, it all depends on your reference so ymmv. The one thing though which WAS more expensive than we expected was dry-cleaning.

Services: overall excellent. In the first days everyone coming to our room or meeting us in the village introduced themselves and offered help with a smile. Room service was impeccable, with a small treat awaiting us in the room every day (be it chilli powder or a small cookie) and clothes we left around folded or even arranged in an aesthetical shape or way! Staff at breakfast or dinner was very attentive and knowledgeable. Pool and beach towels were abundant. Spa was loved by my wife, I didn't try it myself but can attest to a delicious ginger tea they offered me while waiting there. Also, as mentioned before, kayaks are available on the beach to take out free anytime, complete with rescue vest and snorkeling gear. Finally, but maybe most importantly, everybody went out of their way to help us, be it with something concrete or just tips and marking down interesting stuff for us to visit and do on the Mahe map.

All in all, I can safely say it was the best vacation we ever had and I hope we'll be able to come back to Hilton Northolme soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are good as all are facing the ocean. If you like to be closer to the restaurant/pool/park...
Dear Jmfjohn,

We are truly pleased to read that you were extremely satisfied with the facilities and service we offered in our resort and that you were pleased with the hospitality service offered by our Team Members.

I am extremely please that the team made you feel home far away and hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Seychelles Hotels.

Granada, Spain
Reviewed 20 May 2014

it's avery beautiful hotel, with great viewsto the sea and clean service, polite stuff and everybody smiling, good drinks but foods not so good, rooms are so comfortable, and the sea is lovely, we didnt see lot of animation, but we rate 5 stars to this hotel because it really gives you complete relax and happiness, real holiday, hope to go there again

Room Tip: rooms view the sea are almost perfect
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sharifa P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dea Ramos M,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Resort. We are all so delighted that you enjoyed such a spectacular stay. We know we are lucky to be able to welcome guests to such a beautiful location, but it is a delight to be able to give such wonderful and memorable service to you.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Positives: Warmth and genuine friendliness of the hotel staff -- I give it a 10. All staff are smiling, in the true spirit of the island nation. Remarkable.

Breakfast -- another 10. Can't think of a thing I would improve. Excellent service, excellent meal, and again, wonderful attitude from the staff.

Negatives: Internet -- I was told upon check-in how to sign onto the wifi network, to include inputting a password that was provided to me. After 20 minutes of frustration, I called the front desk and was told by another employee that I should be signing in using a different method. A waste of my time. Staff clearly need more training.

Equipment -- while not a luddite, I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to correct the time on my bedside clock (okay, so I like to know what time it is should I wake up during the night, and the clock was some 9 hours off). I called the front desk. It would be corrected immediately. A day goes by, nothing. The following day, I make a similar request. It would be corrected within minutes. After returning to the room six hours later and noticing that it was still not corrected, I called a third time to the front desk. I would accept this sort of situation at a Motel 6, but not at an expensive 4-star hotel. On a related note, I wasted too much time trying to get the TV to work (the remote control needed to be replaced) and the sound on the TV to work (cables were apparently misaligned in the rear of the amplifier). It perplexes me why I'm spending my time in Seychelles trying to fix room equipment, which this luxury hotel should guarantee is working in the first place.

I guess I neglected to mention that the room air conditioner leaks onto the floor, and the desktop lamp is falling apart. I mentioned these items a day ago to the hotel staff but sense that these issues have already been forgotten.

The friendliness of the staff and the breakfast are top notch. Otherwise, this hotel has training and maintenance issues that it needs to address if it wants to remain above three stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sfhoya
Dear Sfhoya,

Please accept my apology on behalf of Hilton Northolme team member for the inconvenience occurred during your stay assuring you that all your comments were investigated immediately with the concern department with all relevant corrective measures. However, It would have been my pleasure to ease your disappointment away if I received your comments during your stay either from your good self.

Although it is very disheartening to receive this kind of feedback, I do believe it is the most important way to measure the quality of our service, and how best to improve on those areas in which we fail to deliver on the expectations of our guests.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 May 2014

CAUTION: Stayed end of March 2014 - The hotel is under heavy construction starting at 7AM to at least 8PM. Looks like at least an 8 month project to add new rooms. Do not stay here.

Our stay at this hotel was comically bad, but i have to give at least 2 stars for the beauty of the location. Hotel forgot to pick us up at the airport, despite the fact that I had reconfirmed twice. They blamed "the new girl at the desk" for a schedule mistake, and we were offered a free dinner and free return transportation as compensation. It turns out that taxis were plentiful, large, and cheap (half the price of the hotel transfer) at the airport, so we ended up better. Hotel manager was verbally apologetic, but didn't seem to actually care.

This hotel is very pretty. The location is on a small peninsula, jutting out from the jungle. The rooms were very tropical and very large with new looking beds, appliances, and furniture. Our view was amazing, but the construction was ever present and LOUD starting in the morning through the evening. The best part: the hotel denies the construction is theirs due to the technicality that "it's on a neighboring property." They won't say is that the neighboring property is owned by them, and will soon be joined with the hotel. These people are liars. I contacted the management after our stay and I contacted Hilton. Hilton was helpful, the hotel management was not helpful nor did they care at all -as per above.

My favorite story is so bad that it is good: (note: there really isn't a beach to sit at unless you want to sit in the jungle overlooking the beach. Not a bad option, but not for me). I was sitting at the pool reading my book, and a staff member comes up to me. He asks if I like shells. He tells me that his friend has a special/magical shell that is the rarest in the world. He says that, "if I take this to Dubai or South Africa I could get $250,000 for it." He then says that he can offer me the magical shell for $500 USD. Very "jack and the bean stock." So bad, it's actually kinda funny. Nevertheless, it was completely unprofessional, and no one wants to be hustled while sitting at the pool.

The management staff was useless, but I found the waitstaff to be genuinely nice. I found their service to be pretty good all around. The food is more 4 star than 5 star, and I think it would get old after a more than 3 nights. The food is very expensive, but that is the price you pay for coming to the Seychelles and not a particular reflection on the hotel.

I am very upset that I didn't stay at the Banyan Tree.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Italy_via_LA
Sharifa P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Italy_via_LA

I have read about the level of noise carried out at the far end of the resort which did not meet with your expectations, rest assure that your valuable comments has been shared with our Hilton Management and of course with the Project Manager of the extension of the work timing.

California
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My partner and I just returned from a seven night stay at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme which we secured using Hilton Hhonors points I had collected over a number of years. Our experience was very memorable and overall, excellent. The setting of the hotel is magnificent and the rooms are stunning and very well appointed, comfortable beds, quality linens and bath products, large in size, all with private balconies with views of the ocean. The food and beverages offered were very good and the nearby village of Beau Vallon offered some alternative dining options that we found quite good also. You can walk to Beau Vallon during the daylight hours, about 15-20 minutes, but we suggest taking a taxi (150 Seychelle rupees or about US$13 one way) at night-time to avoid colliding with passing cars, as the road is dark and curvy. During our tour of the island, we drove by the location of some of the other five star hotels (Banyan Tree, Maia and Four Seasons), but much preferred the location of the Hilton for it's proximity to alternative dining options (Boat House, Baobab Pizza, La Plage) in Beau Vallon and close proximity to Victoria.

We cannot praise the hotel's staff enough, as they were incredibly warm and gracious and exhibited absolutely wonderful hospitality. We will remember them with warmth and gratitude for many years to come, especially the entire front desk team and Robin, Dilshan, Isuru and Shehan at the restaurants and bars. Aside from location, these people are the hotel's greatest asset.

One comes to the Seychelles to enjoy the sun, sea, beach and great outdoors, and the hotel manages to maximize this for you with it's excellent location, however, I feel they need to take better care of the outdoor lounging area adjacent to the beach. The snorkeling around the hotel is excellent, but I would recommend that one brings one's own mask and snorkel and just borrows the hotel's fins, as their supply of snorkeling gear was woefully inadequate and, frankly, one of the few things with which I feel the management is neglectful.

Without reservation, were we to return again to stay on Mahe, the Hilton Northolme would be our hotel of choice.

A final comment on cost / expense. The Seychelles are an expensive destination and if you wish to stay at a five star property like the Hilton or any of its competitors, expect it to be costly. Do I think the prices border on unreasonable? Yes, I do, but I also know there is a cost to getting goods to these remote islands (where there is little flat land for farming) and that these costs are passed along to tourists. We knew this when we planned our visit and we knew it was not unique to the Hilton. If you expect otherwise, you've not done your research. Those who do their research will, no doubt, see that there are ways to contain costs and have a very wonderful and memorable stay!

1 Thank NomadCalifornia
Sharifa P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear NoramadCalifornia

Front Desk Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glacis
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Silhouette Island

Been to Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!