“wonderful experience”
Review of Bingelela Lodge

Bingelela Lodge
Ranked #4 of 13 Bergville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This has been our 2nd overnight stay and can definitely recommend this venue. Our first visit in January was not planned but was suggested by the shop attendant at Dragon's Cove when we were looking for a B+B in the Bergville area. We were very impressed by the service, friendly staff and cosy accommodation. The menu has a good variety to choose from and the food very tasty. Before we left the next morning we booked for our next overnight stay for 14th Feb. Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix-up with our booking and we therefore had to change it to 15th. Besides apologising for the previous receptionists error, Jessica, the manageress went out of her way to decorate our room for the belated Valentines celebration. Thanks to all at Bingelela, we will now be regulars at your lovely venue.

Room Tip: No fitness centre or spa availabe on site. Room 10 has a jaccuzzi.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2014

In today's day and age not many places offer EXCEPTIONAL service and food. This was our second trip to stay at Bingelela and we couldn't wait to return as our first trip was so amazing.
From the moment we arrived to the minute we checked out we were treated so well. Its the little things that count and the staff really do have their finger on the pulse of what their clients need. The place is a haven away from the hustle and bustle. Even though we don't have kids we enjoyed the fact that it seemed a very child friendly place. We saw staff helping with children so that their parents could enjoy their meal, we also saw staff bringing out a camp cot in case kids would want to nap. The food is absolutely delicious we were happy with every meal, tops some of the best restaurants (we eat out quite a bit and at some fab places) my steak on the first night was so well cooked and so delish that I had steak again the second night. My last visit I had the thai prawn and chicken curry it was equally great. I would HIGHLY recommend this establishment for their excellent service, attention to detail, putting their customers first, the relaxing setting as well as the delicious food

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I decided to have a break away from the city and head to Bergville for a weekend away.

We stayed in a chalet which was rather odd. A jet steam bathtub right in the middle of the lounge/kitchen area. Other than that, the accommodation was okay. Good quality bedding with most of the necessities.

The restaurant on the premises was great. Food, atmosphere and the quality was all lovely.

We were however advised that we may pay for both night's dinner upon check out. There was no one in sight to assist us on check out. We ended up leaving a business card for the B&B to contact us regarding payment for the dinners.

The reception service level was poor.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently travelled to the Drakensberg with friends who use to live there. I was so excited as I've heard only good things about that part of the world. On our way through to the Central Drakensberg, we stopped off in Bergville for Sunday lunch at Bingelela on recommendation.

The restaurant was busy and understaffed with only two very stressed staff members waiting tables, so service was slow. Furthermore, I was surprised to see dogs allowed in the dining area which I later learned belonged to the owners who clearly find this acceptable in their establishment. I'm not sure if South Africa is an exception, but this surely goes against Health and Safety/Hygiene regulations? I'm an animal lover but was completely put off by this, even more so when one of their puppies urinated under our table and was jumping up against us while we were eating.

After alerting a staff member, it took about 30 minutes to get someone to clean the urine, yet the dogs were not removed and no apology was forthcoming, which I found completely unacceptable. I was so disappointed but moreover, disgusted by the blatant arrogance of the owners. When you're paying those prices to dine, the last thing you want to worry about is dog urine, dog hair and heaven knows what else to be around your food. I asked our waitress to call the owner, who conveniently disappeared.

Not wanting this to ruin the rest of our trip and mar the beauty of the Drakensberg, we begrudgingly paid our exorbitant bill and left. I then went online and looked up the establishment to get a contact number to put in a formal complaint and was surprised to find, amongst others, a website set up by an American who had what I deem to be a nightmare experience.

I was appalled and shocked after reading this - stunned at the owners view that they are untouchable. Looks like we had a narrow escape. Sadly, I will never support or set foot there again and advise you to do your research online before considering staying or dining at Bingelela. Such a shame as the food and setting is good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Meredith C
bingelela Lodge b, Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Hi Meridith,

Thank you for your review.

We apologize for not resolving the issue while you were at our restaurant and will do our best in the future.

The pup Vino is currently still being trained on manners, this will come right soon I assure you. After speaking with the owners, the team and myself together with the owners will do our best to ensure that the dogs are not in the restaurant while customers are dining.

We have employed new waiters, so service should be back to normal and the owners and myself will be able to pay attention to finer details again.

Once again the owners, team and myself would like to offer our sincere apologies and hope to see you again.

Kind regards,

The Bingelela Team

Reviewed 6 January 2014

In short, I will be returning to Bingelela. The Food is suburb, the wine list has something for everyone, the service is professional and the setting relaxing. I have visited Bingelela probably 5 or 6 times now and never been disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
bingelela Lodge b, Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you Aherin!

It's always a pleasure hosting guests who appreciate great food and a good wine, it definitely creates a bubbly atmosphere.

We look forward to your next visit and will keep the wine flowing and the food coming!

From the management and the team we say THANK YOU!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and had a really enjoyable stay. The food was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful and a very well-stocked bar. The accommodation was basic but one does not spend all day in the room. I found the stairs a bit difficult to start with but soon got the hang of them. We found Joss and Paula and Jessica very pleasant and helpful if we needed to ask anything. We also enjoyed having the lovely dogs around and were very tempted to take Vino home with us but resisted the temptation!! We would definitely visit again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gill_nigel

Thank you!

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our unique rustic rondavels.

It's a pity you didn't use the bath! We'll have to organize you a bottle of wine next time, light the fire and allow you to relax and indulge a little!

We look forward to your next visit :)

Thank you once again form Joss, Paula and the team!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very pleasant. Accommodation, different. A rondarvel with a difference! The sitting room has a Jacuzzi in it!!! Didn't have time to try it out!!! The bedroom is up some scary stairs. Not recommended for the aged. It certainly is the local pub. Family orientated wonderful. Food was very good. We were there for one night and the owners were amazing.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
bingelela Lodge b, Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Bingelela and hope that we'll see you again soon!

Warm regards,

Bingelela Management and the Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergville
Mont Aux Sources Hotel
Little Switzerland Hotel
Little Switzerland Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bergville
The Swallow's Nest Bed & Breakfast

Been to Bingelela Lodge? Share your experiences!