“The Food is Fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bingelela Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bergville
Bingelela Lodge
Ranked #5 of 13 Bergville B&B and Inns
“The Food is Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a great time at Bingelela and would defintely return. Not only was the accomodation clean, comfortable and well set out, but the restaurant onsite is a real gem. The food was great and this provided a great place to relax before retiring to the room.
The breakfast the next morning was another highlight!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a lovely time staying at Bingelela. The place is well organized, the pizzas are delicious and the cottages are very clean - I especially liked that the bedroom was 'upstairs' which just made it such a cute place. Breakfast was included and also very good!
We went the next day hiking in the Drakensberg, which are only about 50 min away.
Thanks for the lovely time we had!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stay here once a month. My home away from home! try the Rossini rump, absolutely awesome!!! The staff are always friendly, and the accommodation is perfect. Everyone is always friendly, I love that it is a working farm. ;), don't expect to be entertained, come to relax and have good company and good food and you'll leave happy.

• Stayed April 2014
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This has been our 2nd overnight stay and can definitely recommend this venue. Our first visit in January was not planned but was suggested by the shop attendant at Dragon's Cove when we were looking for a B+B in the Bergville area. We were very impressed by the service, friendly staff and cosy accommodation. The menu has a good variety to choose from and the food very tasty. Before we left the next morning we booked for our next overnight stay for 14th Feb. Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix-up with our booking and we therefore had to change it to 15th. Besides apologising for the previous receptionists error, Jessica, the manageress went out of her way to decorate our room for the belated Valentines celebration. Thanks to all at Bingelela, we will now be regulars at your lovely venue.

Room Tip: No fitness centre or spa availabe on site. Room 10 has a jaccuzzi.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

In today's day and age not many places offer EXCEPTIONAL service and food. This was our second trip to stay at Bingelela and we couldn't wait to return as our first trip was so amazing.
From the moment we arrived to the minute we checked out we were treated so well. Its the little things that count and the staff really do have their finger on the pulse of what their clients need. The place is a haven away from the hustle and bustle. Even though we don't have kids we enjoyed the fact that it seemed a very child friendly place. We saw staff helping with children so that their parents could enjoy their meal, we also saw staff bringing out a camp cot in case kids would want to nap. The food is absolutely delicious we were happy with every meal, tops some of the best restaurants (we eat out quite a bit and at some fab places) my steak on the first night was so well cooked and so delish that I had steak again the second night. My last visit I had the thai prawn and chicken curry it was equally great. I would HIGHLY recommend this establishment for their excellent service, attention to detail, putting their customers first, the relaxing setting as well as the delicious food

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I decided to have a break away from the city and head to Bergville for a weekend away.

We stayed in a chalet which was rather odd. A jet steam bathtub right in the middle of the lounge/kitchen area. Other than that, the accommodation was okay. Good quality bedding with most of the necessities.

The restaurant on the premises was great. Food, atmosphere and the quality was all lovely.

We were however advised that we may pay for both night's dinner upon check out. There was no one in sight to assist us on check out. We ended up leaving a business card for the B&B to contact us regarding payment for the dinners.

The reception service level was poor.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently travelled to the Drakensberg with friends who use to live there. I was so excited as I've heard only good things about that part of the world. On our way through to the Central Drakensberg, we stopped off in Bergville for Sunday lunch at Bingelela on recommendation.

The restaurant was busy and understaffed with only two very stressed staff members waiting tables, so service was slow. Furthermore, I was surprised to see dogs allowed in the dining area which I later learned belonged to the owners who clearly find this acceptable in their establishment. I'm not sure if South Africa is an exception, but this surely goes against Health and Safety/Hygiene regulations? I'm an animal lover but was completely put off by this, even more so when one of their puppies urinated under our table and was jumping up against us while we were eating.

After alerting a staff member, it took about 30 minutes to get someone to clean the urine, yet the dogs were not removed and no apology was forthcoming, which I found completely unacceptable. I was so disappointed but moreover, disgusted by the blatant arrogance of the owners. When you're paying those prices to dine, the last thing you want to worry about is dog urine, dog hair and heaven knows what else to be around your food. I asked our waitress to call the owner, who conveniently disappeared.

Not wanting this to ruin the rest of our trip and mar the beauty of the Drakensberg, we begrudgingly paid our exorbitant bill and left. I then went online and looked up the establishment to get a contact number to put in a formal complaint and was surprised to find, amongst others, a website set up by an American who had what I deem to be a nightmare experience.

I was appalled and shocked after reading this - stunned at the owners view that they are untouchable. Looks like we had a narrow escape. Sadly, I will never support or set foot there again and advise you to do your research online before considering staying or dining at Bingelela. Such a shame as the food and setting is good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Meredith C
bingelela Lodge b, Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hi Meridith,

Thank you for your review.

We apologize for not resolving the issue while you were at our restaurant and will do our best in the future.

The pup Vino is currently still being trained on manners, this will come right soon I assure you. After speaking with the owners, the team and myself together with the owners will do our best to ensure that the dogs are not in the restaurant while customers are dining.

We have employed new waiters, so service should be back to normal and the owners and myself will be able to pay attention to finer details again.

Once again the owners, team and myself would like to offer our sincere apologies and hope to see you again.

Kind regards,

The Bingelela Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergville
Sandford Park Country Hotel
Kwaggashoek Game Ranch
Kwaggashoek Game Ranch
#5 of 11 in Bergville
Winterton Country Lodge at Rose Cottage

Been to Bingelela Lodge? Share your experiences!