African Pride Arabella Hotel & Spa
US$229
US$118
US$122
US$109
Misty Waves Boutique Hotel Hermanus(Hermanus)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$101
Windsor Hotel & Apartments(Hermanus)(Great Value!)
US$81
Hotels.com
US$108
US$101
Agoda.com
US$244
Harbour House Hotel(Hermanus)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$104
Hostelworld.com
Villa Exner(Grabouw)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf coursea la carte restaurantroom servicegolf estatebot riverplay golfbeautiful hotelcape townround of golfworld classrainforest experiencestunning viewsin room dininglagoon facing roomattention to detailwhale watchingconference
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in November 2011. The hotel is about a 90 minute drive from Cape Town and is a 20 minute drive away from the town of Hermanus. The hotel is located on a golf course and housing complex in a lovely setting around a lagoon. The hotel has a nice outdoor pool area and indoor spa. The reception area, bedrooms and bars are nicely presented; and the bar, restaurant and housekeeping staff are all extremely pleasant, polite and helpful. However we experienced a catalogue of problems, firstly we had to wait for an hour and a half at check in because they could not locate our booking - and no complimentary coffee or apologies were offered whilst we waited!!! When we eventually got a room the key card would not work and after three journeys to reception we were eventually let into the room using a master key - but we had to wait until the evening before we were given a room key of our own; and this only happened after multiple requests! In the interim we could not leave and enter the room autonomously; or turn on the electricity in the room as it was facilitated by the key card. Again the management offered no apology! Then after putting our valuables into the safe, the safe broke and the maintenance staff were called. The maintenance staff and security manager were very helpful and apologetic, but we were unable to access our phones, money, laptop, car keys etc until the safe was repaired the following day - leaving us hotel bound!
The manager, Ryan eventually approached us two days after our check in and offered his apologies, stating he would upgrade us to a suite two days later on the Saturday. However this did not happen and when we asked at reception we were told we would be upgraded the following day as soon as a suite became available - but the following day we were not contacted by staff to arrange the upgrade and frankly by this time we were very unimpressed by the hotel management. We decided to check out a day early and asked if the hotel could arrange a transfer to one of their hotels in Cape Town, crediting our payment against the new booking and advising of any excess charges. Again the staff did not get back to us and we had to re-contact them to ask again! We were told they could not arrange a transfer but would credit the night we had prepaid for and not used. We then arranged our own hotel in Cape Town who gladly took our booking and benefitted from our custom.
This hotel has the potential to be really good, but the senior management are sadly lacking skills in customer service.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue L
Leon_Meyer_AHS, General Manager at African Pride Arabella Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that our service promise to you was not met. I have taken all your comments on-board and we shall ensure that they are actioned. Once again, my most sincere apology.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I had this great experience in this hotel a few weeks ago. The hotel and Spa made my experience in Southafrica more relaxing and confortable. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpfull, always ready to anything we needed. The room was quite big with all the necessary, the swiming pool and the gardens are amaizing. I also had a treatment at the Spa and I must say that all the staff was very nice and treatments very interesting with good equipments.
Defenitively , a hotel I will recomend to my friends, and I´m sure that I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Went to stay at the Arabella with my girlfriend for a night away. The hotel was commended by my travel agent and I got given a good rate for a Grand Suite and decided to go.

The location is beautiful and the hotel looks good from the outside.

Service was average. Seemed to be a lack of reception staff, no information was given as to what restaurants were available to eat at, no information re check out times etc.

We were told by friends that the main restaurant wasnt great but the bar served decent sushi. So that night we decided to have sushi instead of eating at the main restaurant. When we got to the bar we were told that the chef had run out of rice, which one would think is an essential part of a sushi menu! So we decided to go for the buffet at the Jamanji restaurant at r195 per head. Weary that we might be making a mistake we went there with an open mind. Boy were we disappointed.

There was nothing redeeming about the meal. The starters were vile, main courses consisted of stodgy mushroom gnocchi, under cooked lamb, beef olives that were as dry as biltong. The desserts looked tempting from a distance but up close it was another story! I was looking at the little tiramisu desserts and thought that it was odd that it seemed to be moving. On closer expection I saw that the plate was invested with ants. I told the staff behind the counter and they quickly scuttled around removed the infested plate. No apology or explanation was given.

I tried some of the desserts that weren't ant ridden and they were terrible. Stale chocolate exclairs and tasteless tiramisu (I did manage to find others that werent infested).

We both returned to our room feeling rather unwell and kicking ourselves we didn't listen to our friends advice!

BTW the room service was terrible as well. We ordered a messe platter that was over priced and came with not even half a pita bread! The R25 plate charge plus compulsory tip was a cheek!

Spa treatments were okay, over priced, but not worth coming back.

The only redeeming thing about the weekend was that I got to spent it with my beautiful girlfriend.

If I were you I'd avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank HerschB
Leon_Meyer_AHS, General Manager at African Pride Arabella Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your comments- I am sincerely apologetic that your stay was anything less than enjoyable.

I would very much appreciate if you could contact me at gm@arabellahotelandspa.com so that we can arrange a time to personally discuss your comments. I would very much like to learn more.

Sincerely and kind regards

Reviewed 4 November 2011

We cepebrated our first wedding anniversary here. What a great weekend! Great people, great food, wonderful accomdation and a worldclass spa.

It was really such a great weekend away. We had lunch in Hermanus on the Sunday and saw a few whales.

What a great wekend away! Well worth it!

Room Tip: Try and get a lagoon facing room. Spectacular views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Happy Anniversary! So glad you had a whale of a time........ :)

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 November 2011

I had the pleasure of staying over one night in a suite at this fabulous hotel. The Suite consisted out of a lounge area, large bedroom, large bathroom and a separate toilet area. The wrapped around balcony offered spectacular views over the golf course and lagoon. Very clean and neat. Service excellent, and I have to admit, I enjoyed watching a movie whilst in the bath! The Hotel might be a bit pricey, but whether you are a golf enthusiast, a visitor to our beautiful country or just searching for a night or two of utter luxurious relaxation in the Spa, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business