“Great stuff!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Boathouse Seafood & Grill
Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Kleinmond
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Great stuff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The restaurant is under new ownership since the end of 2013. Before that, the place was average at best, but under new management, the place is getting better and better. I especially love their craft beers, good food en stunning view. Their burgers and pizzas are first class, and the hake and chips is also highly recommendable.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Transformed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

A new owner took over this restaurant late last year and it's been transformed. The new spacious decks with views over the harbour and out to sea are lovely when the weathers good, but there is a reasonable amount of indoor seating as well. Previously this restaurant was very badly run, so poor that I stopped going there years ago, as did all my friends. By chance I ended up there in November and noticed an immediate change. Since then I've been back many times, had different meals and enjoyed them all. Service can be haphazard, but mostly good. They have a wide selection of local craft beers and some great cocktails. There is a wide menu but I have most often had their beer battered fish and chips which has always been delicious.

Strand, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dissapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

.We were two couples that decided to stop at the popular Kleinmond Waterfront for lunch on the way back from our weekend away in Hermanus. We were in the mood for pizza and decided to look for a sea facing restaurant. We arrived on the front deck and saw there were 3 restaurants adjacent to each other. We asked the waitron who stood at the entrance of the middle restaurant if they had pizza and he confirmed. We were shown to our seats. This was around 11:30 am
We received 2 menu's each and a wine list. I didn’t see any pizzas, so the waiter brought us another menu laminated which had the pizzas and burgers. That was the third menu. Extremely confusing where to look....
There was the laminated burger and pizza menu, as well as the black board special menu and a book form menu with more dishes. Some of the dishes were duplicated on the menus. Some of the dishes one could only order from 14:00. All very confusing. We ordered our drinks from one waiter. Another brought our drinks. Seeing that we had a two year old toddler with us, we also asked the waiter what they have for the little girl, and he just mentioned the drinks. On the website later, I saw that this restaurant is FAMILY orientated and have a children’s menu as well. We were not offered one. Very strange that no kiddy meals were on any of the 3 menus we received.

Later, when we were ready to order, the owner came to take our order. That was the third person during our time there to serve us...
I asked him what he recommends, the pizza or the burger. He said that both were popular. So my husband ordered the pizza and I ordered the oh my cheese burger, together with our second round of drinks. Next another waitress (that I was told later by her husband, a manager just came on duty) to asked what we ordered... mentioned that we already gave our order to the owner and she can just get it from him.

We ordered more drafts for the men. The waiter first came to fetch our glasses saying that they need the glasses and don’t have enough draft glasses. Quite strange. They also swopped our sauces twice seeing that they didn’t have enough of the sauce holders...Quite unprofessional.
They also forgot one of the glasses of wine we ordered, and only received that about 15 minutes later. The owner did say he is sorry, he forgot about the wine.
This wasn’t even lunch hour rush yet, the restaurant wasn’t full and we were starting to regret choosing this restaurant to have our final meal of the weekend.

An HOUR later our food arrived. The pizzas look okay - but it was the first pizza I ever ate at a restaurant that had cheddar cheese melted on top, instead of mozzarella. The order for our table was two pizzas, a fish combo with chips and my cheese burger. On the menu it said: Cheese burger with Mushroom delight... covered in roasted mushrooms AND mushroom sauce and cheese.
I received my burger last, and with just a bun, patty with one slice of melted cheese on it, chips and garnish. This for R80. No mushrooms. Seeing that we still did not know WHO our waiter was, I just called a waiter close by. The waitress came over and explained that the mushroom sauce is on its way. By then I got really irritated. When she brought the mushroom sauce I asked her where the roasted mushrooms are, and she explained in the sauce...I asked her how long she has worked for this restaurant, she mentioned 3 months in a very irritated voice. I asked to speak to the owner. A manager came over to ask if everything is okay. I told him of my order and said I ordered from the owner and wanted to speak to him. HE said that the owner is busy in the kitchen. I asked him to call the owner. After a while, the owner came by and explained that they have another cheese burger on the other menu and he thought that was the one I ordered. I informed him, that he could have told me. And also asked him why they have so many menus. He just said they use certain menus when they are busy. He offered to redo the burger, but by then we weren’t in the mood, and the other guests at the table have almost finished their meals, so we told the owner no thank you. There was no apology from him. He just said, that is the way they learn.

I am also in the hospitality industry and understand to please everyone is an impossible task, but this restaurant couldn’t get the basics right.
Everything from the time we arrived was wrong and out of place.

The manager later came by to apologise. Of course our bill was also incorrect. One can understand that happening if you are being served by four different waiters and the owner.

We will definitely not be back and will definitely not recommend this establishment to anyone

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank B0002014
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Service and food very good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

The service at this restaurant was excellent, food was good. I liked the ribs and calamari. My husband had the steak and prawns. We went back the next evening and I had the steak and prawns and hubby opted for hake and prawns. He was not too happy with the hake, batter was very thick and too hard. They cooked him another piece of hake without the batter, and he was happy with that. They had free wifi which I liked and made good use of.

Visited January 2014
TheBoathouse2013, General Manager at The Boathouse Seafood & Grill, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your time to give us your feedback. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.
Silverdale, United Kingdom
“Splendid value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We dined here during our month long vacation in South Africa and found that although the restaurant does not look very appealing or welcoming, and the decor is somewhat drab this was more than made up for by gorgeous food that was served at a very reasonable price. I ordered a rack of ribs whilst my wife had a local fish dish. The service was rather slow but the food was delicious and well worth the wait at an unbelievably low price!

• Visited November 2013