Escarpment Luxury Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge(Lake Manyara National Park)
Highview Hotel(Karatu)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
  • Breakfast included
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoutdoor showerpersonal butleroverlooking lake manyarafour seasonswelcome songmusic and dancingair conditioningstunning viewsfooted tubassigned a butlerhotel experienceamazing sunsetrooms are hugemain areaprivate balconythe hotel managercomfortable bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2012

It was the most perfect place for our family to spend our last day on Safari after returning from the Serengeti -- along a rough washboard unsealed road for 3hours, with sore backs and tired necks.

The rooms are beautifully set out and designed. The craftsmanship in all of the woodwork is outstanding (we seriously thought about trying to buy the bed!). We had a discrete outdoor shower overlooking Lake Manyara on a beautifully clear day followed by an amazing big bath.

We had beers by the pool and were well looked after by a personal butler for our room (if anything the butler was over attentive, which got annoying) and the food was absolutely stunning.

Would recommend this to any of my friends if they are ever going on Safari in Tanzania.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view -- ask for a room away from the restaurant/bar just in case it can get noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This place is really top draw. Only a short drive from the NP entrance. We were looked after by a personal butler from arrival to leaving. Our stand alone villa was pure luxury with a large walk around balcony with amazing views over Lake Manyara National park. We had dinner under the stars with traditional singing and dancing that was much better (more authentic!) that the usual dancing and acrobatic shows that were on everywhere else we stayed. There's even an outdoor shower to wake you up in the morning. The only disappointment was we were only staying for one night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I should begin by saying that though I have benefited from a wonderful assortment of great global digs, I have never before felt compelled to write a review. It may be most useful to offer some context for my perspective while attempting to avoid a pompous tone--in that I have experienced The Ritz London, Hong Kong, Bali, and Atlanta; every Hyatt in Australia (except one); Every Hyatt in Hawaii; Joburg Hyatt; both London Four Seasons; etc. Bearing the foregoing in mind, no place that I have ever stayed has trumped the Escarpment Luxury Lodge in terms of both service and accommodations. The quality and presentation of meals is fabulous. Adolph (my Butler), Edwin (the GM), and the entire staff were absolutely lovely and lavishly attentive around the clock. I hesitate to say for fear of creating unreasonable expectations in others, that the entire breakfast staff came in hours early so as to be sure that we could have an early safari departure at our request. We asked to get started at 5 a.m., and were hopeful that we may receive something relatively simple such as toast and butter only. Edwin would have nothing of it and we instead were delighted with a multi-course breakfast that would rival the very best western quality and presentation I have ever encountered--and always with a charming smile. Folks, if you have the privilege and opportunity to visit this place I recommend with full-on praise and enthusiasm that you do so! If I return to Tanzania (and I hope to do so) I will make a special effort to visit the Escarpment Luxury Lodge. AND, the Big Five are nearby--though the Leopard can be somewhat elusive at times. The internet is reliable, the adult beverages are cold, and the smiles are warm and genuine. Finally, I should add that REI arranged for our stay, and we learned about REI's exacting requirements which must be stringently met prior to receiving he REI seal of approval-e.g. REI sends someone to measure the temperature in the frig and freezer. You get the picture--now go and enjoy with peace of mind!

Room Tip: You have three choices for bathing in each chalet: Over-sized tub, indoor shower, and outdoor shower. N.B. I did not provide a rating for "Fitness center" as I did not inquire as to whether there is a fitness center. I was pre-occupied with jaw-dropping amazement at all else!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michael K
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I stayed her only one night on September 5, 2012. We had just completed a climb of Kilimanjaro and were looking for a luxury getaway. We were blown away by Escarpment! From the minute we arrived we were greeted by the GM and our butler who made sure that every aspect of our stay was perfect. The views were stunning overlooking Lake Manyara, our room/cabin is what my dream bedroom would look like, and the service was stunning. We had a private dinner table setup overlooking the Lake and even had a band play during our meal. My wife is a vegetarian and the chef was very accommodating and the food/wine was delicious. My wife and I both agreed that this was the most luxurious hotel we have every stayed at anywhere in the world including Europe and the US. Next time we go back to Tanzania we will only stay here while on Safari. The pool is the perfect place to relax after a dusty day on Safari. We stayed at Lemala Tented Camp and Tarangire Treetops and they were great and I would also recommend them, nothing compared to Escarpment. Thank you Escarpment for the one of the most luxurious experience of my life!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank waker433
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Escarpment lodge is absolutely beautiful in stunning surroundings with exceptional staff and attention to detail. The moment we arrived we were greeted by Edwin the General Manager and Mohammed our butler and were made to feel very welcome. Mohammed was very attentive throughout our stay, be it bringing us coffee in the morning, preparing a hot bubble bath for our return from a day exploring, ensuring we had a drink in our hands at all times, to talking to us about the local surroundings and culture. The view over Lake Manyara is breathtaking and the pool and outside areas frame the scenery beautifully. The rooms are amazing with everything you could possibly need and more. The food was also amazing and expertly prepared by Chef Michael and his team.

We went on a walk with the local Masai guide which was very interesting and we learnt about how the Masai live, their traditions and in particular the herbal medicines that they continue to prepare from the local plants and trees.

We could not have asked for more and felt thoroughly relaxed and pampered by the time we came to say goodbye. We highly recommend Escarpment Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple