“Unique, Special, Authentic, Invigorating & Restful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Manyara National Park
Ol Mesera Tented Camp
Silicon Valley
“Unique, Special, Authentic, Invigorating & Restful”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay - once I got there. Its about 10 miles up a nasty dirt road towards the village of Selele. The 5 tents have great views of the Rift Valley western escarpment. ABSOLUTELY worth the effort.
Barbara is an extremely gracious and welcoming host. Learning of her life story and commitment to the people of Tanzania alone make visiting this camp worth it. Her team is talented and takes really great care of guests. You'll have the opportunity to just hang out, go into Mto Wa Bu town, go on countryside walks with Hamisi or visit nearby nat'l parks. Outstanding value. And you'll likely encounter very interesting fellow travelers, as I did.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Patrick S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I had spotted Ol Mesera while reading trip reports and thought "next time this is where I go." I had not even read the glowing reviews below before today only the website. I was doing my own bookings for a trip and simply Emailed the lady I now call Barbara and back came a prompt friendly reply and the deed was done. I was sold on the place by the first reply. So I booked three nights at Ol Mesera and to be honest during the earlier part of the trip I could hardly wait to get there.
We rolled up the dusty road from Mto wa Mbu (September) and turned off at the signpost. and there we were greeted by some of the nicest people it has been my pleasure to meet. Barbara was omnipresent and the staff were some of the nicest folk you could wish for. They even watered the birdbath/pond so I could check out the Avifauna. Rooms are in Chalet/Tents on raised platforms with views to the Rift Wall some two miles distant. Beds were comfortable and good nets provided and not those silly irritating small Coronet types. Proper nets that stayed around the bed on weights. There was ample furniture and storage shelving for my kit and a table and chair for the "Admin" of diary writing and Photo storage. Meals were at any time we liked. I am not a lunch person but was offered some great Liver and Chips my first day. There was a hiatus in the water supply but it was soon fixed.
An amply stocked bar had temporally run low on Beer (not me honest!!) so one lad was despatched to Mto wa Mbu on the bus to keep me supplied. That was so unnecessary I assure you, but what service.
Local birdlife was well in evidence (Don't laugh but we found the rare Short-tailed Lark in this area) and of course Ol Mesera lies on a wildlife corridor from Lake Manyara to Natron so plains game was in evidence. Lesser Kudu met us at the turn off. Hyena killed by my tent and kicked up a real racket for some time. We visited a local small forest along barely visible tracks and met many families of 'real' Maasai that were genuine and not the staged meets you get along the tourist routes. We were there are the height of the dry season so it was quite dusty but I am going back after the rain has greened things up. I think it will be truly splended.
A truly memorable place. Please don't change a thing!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank mfuwe
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Really enjoyed staying at this camp. A little bit out of town with beautiful views over the rift valley floor. Accommodation is good but the standout is the warmth of the welcome from the owner and her helpful staff. Great spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill H
Stuttgart
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Tented Lodge in a wonderful environment far away from busy city-life. Fantastic view to the green nature of East-Africa and to the Ngorongoro-Crater-Area. What we enjoyed most, was the hospitality of all the people there, the excellent food and the tranquillity, which allowed us to relax completely and forget the everyday life.
An extraordinary place for all those, who love nature, nice people and it is an ideal starting point for safaris to the Nationalparks. We will be back there next time we travel to Tanzania!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank lilly2000
Belgium
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was my favorite location in Africa so far, after an overland trip of 3 months. Stayed for nearly two weekks and I enjoyed every single day.
The location of the large and very comfortable tents is amazing with a awsome view of the plains below and the slopes of the Ngorongoro in the distance. Hear hyena's in the night while the Massai watchman takes his position near the tents for the dark night to come
Possibility of hikes in the surrounding savannah in search of zebra's, giraffes, impala, ostrich, warthogs, go to the forest, climb the slope of the Ngorongoro, visit Massai village(s) and game drives in the NP or just watch the amazing birdlife around the camp and read your favorite book with a cool drink.
Barbara is a most hospitable hostess and a real pioneer who loves Africa more than anybody else. Her Massaï staff is aimable and very efficiënt. The menu changes virtually every day and I had the best food ever in Africa.
A very recommend place to soak up the real and true African atmosphere.
Thank You again Barbara, your staff (especially Hamiz) for this memorable visit. I will never forget.
Marc
Belgium

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank stemaBelgium
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This place is amazing...all the tents in the camp have the most amazing view of the rift valley and you can see wild life all around...the food is delicious....and Barbara, the owner is the most sweet lady ready to accommodate you in anything you need....we really had a good time at Ol Mesera.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DahianaC
Auckland
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This is lodge is superbly set out with the tents being extremely private and having one of the most beautiful vistas of any tented camp I've stayed in in East Africa. It is rustic yet charming and Barbara is a real delight, an unassuming woman who has lived an extraordinary life. Well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 48 in Karatu
The Manor at Ngorongoro
The Manor at Ngorongoro
#4 of 37 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to Ol Mesera Tented Camp? Share your experiences!