“Definitely worth a visit !”
Review of Forodhani Gardens

Forodhani Gardens
Ranked #32 of 76 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: African, Seafood, Fast food
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Definitely worth a visit !”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We popped along one night after sunset and the atmosphere was magical !

We tried a selection of food from different vendors, including fresh fruit and sugar cane juice.

The majority of the vendors all sell the same food but prices vary , so confirm what you want and how much you are paying beforehand. Vendors are also prepared to drop the price so be prepared to haggle !

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Julie M

• Polish first
Moshi, Tanzania
“Awesome location, but don't eat there!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I love Forodhani Gardens. It is one of my favorite places in all of Zanzibar. Beautiful gardens and views of local scenes...but as much as I love it...I have vowed to never eat there again! Every time that I eat there, me or one of my guests gets sick! We haven't pin-pointed exactly what it is that makes us sick...the seafood, meat, sugar cane juice, ice or zanzibar pizza...it's too bad because I will truly miss it, but I know my GI will thank me.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank bekbekbeka
Kings Beach
“Big time scammers”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have never had a bad experience here....because I have always been with locals. Watch out of you look like a tourist or are a tourist! Tonight, I grabbed another lady who was here working in Zanzibar and headed down for a quick bite. I know the prices and have never had to bargain in the dozens of times I have been here. We ordered a normal plate of fish and sides each and after eating our meals the "owner" of the table walked up to us and told us we had to pay him an outrageous amount - 4X the normal price. I argued that I knew the prices and this was not even in the range .....I asked him to write down the prices and his name and attached the bill below. What recourse do you have in a place where there is no one owner, no security, etc? Especially when you are two ladies? Of course we paid. One other table had prices on cards on all the same food we ordered - also took a picture and attached below. They were the prices I knew and a quarter of what we were charged. There is nothing really to do with this information because no one is in charge. Just watch out or just don't bother going there. Its not worth being scammed or harassed!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank laketahoe_homeowner
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“Fantastic vibe, completely safe!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Visited on last day of Eid. Totally packed with locals in their best outfits-women and children included. Wonderful atmosphere. Tried the zanazibar pizza (banana and choc)-was ok but the sugar cane juice was so delicious. Definitely a must see in Stone Town though a long drive from nungwi hotel (1.5 hrs).

• Visited October 2013
Arusha
“Forodhani Gardens with Gladiator”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Living for almost eight years in Tanzania, makes you think you know all the little tricks.
Unfortunately one of the employees of Gladiator dhow tours approached us on Forodhani market. His little talk was impressive, his English very good and he was really charming although a bit rough looking with a wild beard.
We went with him, ordered food for 2 adults and two kids of 5 and 7 and had to eat it then on the side of the walk way as there was no space to sit down.
We then got a bill of TZS 89,000 (or $56) and the whole adventure ended very bitter with us having to pay this huge bill.
The day after myself and the two kids had severe diarrhea.

Charming and nice Forodhani Gardens but avoid Gladiator!

• Visited October 2013