“Over-rated”

Tower Top Restaurant
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Please do not post more on this site, the tower top restaurant is closed and Liquidated together with Emerson and Green LTD
New York City
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Not that impressed to be honest! Set menu price - I only wanted a main course but had to pay for the full 4 courses when I wasn't hungry enough to warrant the extra food. Service just ok. Not as special as I had hoped.

Visited March 2012

Australia
“Living on past glories”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

By the sounds of things, this place was once the place to dine in Stone Town. Then word got around, they made it in the guidebooks and could rest on their laurels.
I'm dissapointed that I didn't check out tripadvisor first before choosing this as my "special"meal to have in Stone Town as several other reviwers have summed it up well. The view was certainly special but the venue was cramped and I was almost sitting on top of the person next to me. Service was fast for me but slow for most others and the food disapointing all round. To top it of, it cost twice what I had paid for most other meals.

• Visited January 2012
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing...”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I heard so much of this place under the previous "Emerson and Green Hotel" and so looked forward to dining on the rooftop. What a mistake...

The location is fabulous and I did enjoy the sitting on cushions and feeling the breeze while taking in the night view of Stonetown, however...

Slow, slow, slow...drinks were indifferent despite a staff of about five squeezed behind the bar. I did not finish any of the courses and in fact barely touched the main fish dish. We chose Fruit sorbet for dessert and all we got was a bowl of fruit salad and an expalanation that the sorbet had melted! Excuse me?

• Visited January 2012
Reggio Emilia, Italy
“If you could eat the view..”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The view, fantastic, the restaurant..horrible. Fixed menu, 25 dollars excluding beverages. You get old french fries, old bread with a supposed to be hummus and one more plate. The quality is really low, and the only one reason people goes there is the view, really nice. But a part from that I can't save anything. No light at all on the table, neither a candle. The slowest service I ever had in zanzibar (and they are usually very slow), almost 2 hours and a half. Go there at sunset only for a beer!

Bengaluru, India
“Historic setting with mixed food”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We had a large group of 18, with half being kids, and they were able to seat us in the Swahili section for dinner. They required a $100 advance for the booking, made earlier in the day. The service (particularly the manager Joseph) was not too friendly to begin with but became better as the meal progressed. Rashid our waiter was very friendly.

They did change the music to local music to add to the Swahili ambience on request.

The soup was good (cold pea soup). The "Dawa" drink was very weak. The food was "mixed". The prawn dish in the seafood section was very good. the grilled chicken was also good.

• Visited December 2011