“Good Food, Poor Service”
Review of Monsoon Restaurant

Monsoon Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 78 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

They have a very nice veranda and the table I wanted to sit at sat 3 people and despite the fact that I was the only person in the entire restaurant the staff wouldn't let me sit there. Very strange I thought! The service just wasn't friendly in the slightest but the prawn curry was actually really good and this was the saving grace of my experience in Monsoon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We really enjoyed this place - it has a nice ambiance. It was fun to sit on big cushions on the floor with a low decorated wooden table, brass light fixtures on a warm yellow wall and eat some very nice sea food. If you don't want to sit inside, there are tables on the deck outside overlooking the water and market area. Go for the experience more than anything else.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Monsoon is an excellent choice for those that want to taste local food. Excellent flavor, good quality food at reasonable price. I was 3 day in Stone town and had every day one of my meals at Monsoon. The employees reception and the manager attention to you were fantastic....I must if you are in Stone Town.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A group of us ate here. The service was appalling. The waiter paid little or no attention when we were ordering and we had to keep repeating ourselves to ensure he had recorded our orders accurately. The choice of food was limited, uninspiring and more International than "African" cuisine, which is a shame because we were looking forward to ethnic food. Although it was presented nicely, it was poorly cooked and either so heavily spiced that the flavour of the food was undetectable or very bland. The vegetarian desert was made with gelatine.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We were recommended to go to monsoon by a local so were unsure if this was a tourist experience or genuinely god restaurant. I have to say it remains a bit of both. We ate on the terrace and enjoyed the evening atmosphere. Service was friendly and attentive and the menu varied. My meal was fine but my companions felt theirs were either rather average or over-priced hence the scores.