“Typical Stone Town”
Review of Kiponda B&B

Kiponda B&B
Ranked #4 of 34 Stone Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Five minutes walk from the ferry and very near the beach and its wonderful view of what is picture-book Zanzibar. One of the best places to start roaming the alleys stone town.
Simple and good accommodation with good service and helpful staff.

Room Tip: The more stairs you climb, the better
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Kiponda and agree with the many good reviews found here - basic rooms, but super clean with a tasty, filling breakfast and friendly staff. This former home has been tastefully renovated in a simple, yet stylish manner.

Luckily my cellphone has a torch as finding my way back from Forodhani Gardens late at night was a bit tricky as one street/alleyway is completely dark! However, there are many friendly local people prepared to lead you back to Kiponda should you get lost.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Kiponda B&B was a great place to stay on Zanzibar. Located in Stone Town and very close to the waterfront and Forodhani Park. The rooms were clean and adequate; the rooftop balcony where a delicious breakfast was served was open and airy and a wonderful place to enjoy a morning cup of delicious Tanzanian coffee. The staff was so helpful to us. They were at the airport to pick us up, they arranged a driver to take us to the beach one day and when our flight plans were changed by the airlines and we had to leave a day early, they helped us get a place to stay in Arusha and arranged to get us to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent two nights here. Hotel is an atmospheric, old building and rooms are basic, but clean and simple. There's a roof terrace where breakfast is served (unfortunately no sea views from there) and wifi is available. The staff are really helpful and are able to arrange spice tours and walking tours of Stone Town at a very reasonable price. Good location in the heart of Stone Town and just a few minutes walk to the seafront.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Kiponda is in a beautiful restored historic building, less than 5 minutes walking from the ferry. I stayed in a single room (30-35 US, depending on when you come) which had a fan and a private bathroom (separately - also incredibly beautiful, reminded me of the southern Spain style)). Due to the location of my room (No 11) it was a bit noisy in the morning when people would talk at breakfast, so ask for an other room if you're sensitive with that. Breakfast is great (buffet style with lots of fruit, fresh juices, yogurt, muesli, eggs,...) and the staff were always helpful and very friendly! You can meet fellow travelers of all ages and kinds, but also find peace if you'd like to be alone. I stayed there again when I came back and can highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms opening to the patio have bad acoustic when people talk on the rooftop
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Hotel Kiponda was wonderful! I stayed for 5 nights in a single room, although my private bathroom was across the hall which was not a problem. The room was small without the bathroom, but it was sufficient! It was a single room so consisted of a 3/4 bed with net, fan, table and mirror.
The electricity only went down once (that I was present for) and didn't last very long. The water for my shower was always pleasantly warm - although it does have to run through for a while, and I don't like wasting the water.
Towels were provided, as was breakfast and wifi. The breakfast was great, and consisted of mendazi (sweet doughnuts), bread and condiments, museli and cornflakes, lots of different fresh fruits, coffee, tea and fresh juice and eggs on request. My favourite was an onion and tomato omlette.
The wifi however was not so good, but it was provided free so can't really complain. I barely ever got to log on to the Kiponda network, but whilst sitting on the sofa in the roof terrace I managed on several occasions to piggyback onto some free, unsecured neighbouring wifi.

The staff were always very accommodating, organising trips with their affiliated agent Sama Tours. The Spice Tour in particular was FANTASTIC and well worth the $13. It was a whole day affair finishing after 3pm and with a trip to a beautiful beach and lunch thrown in.

The hotel is situated close to the water, so getting to and from it is not a problem, its when you enter the labyrinths of shops that you may need a map. It is close to the port and the Fordhaani Gardens.

My only problem was that because it was during Ramadan the local people and especially the screaming, playing children, do not seem to want to sleep before 2am. Also they keep cockerels and chickens on the ground floor in a courtyard next to the hotel, which is probably where the lovely eggs come from, but expect to wake up to crowing at silly AM. I am a heavy sleeper otherwise I may not have slept much at all.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, and hope one day that I can return. I am currently staying in one for the same price but that is much much worse!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed at Hotel Kiponda for one night but I had an amazing time. The B & B is situated in the heart of Stone Town and allows one to truly experience life there. One of the best things for me is that the hotel is located near Foradhani Gardens and other tourist attractions in Stone Town.

The hotel staff fetched us from the harbour upon our arrival and they also provided a tour guide and transportation to our next hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed their breakfast, especially the sweet and sour yoghurt. The rooms were clean with great air conditioning.

Saima and her team did an excellent job of hosting us. I would certainly return there again.

Room Tip: Rather choose rooms on the top floor as these are quieter and have better ablutions.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends