“Best hotel with great view of Stone Town”

The Seyyida Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Excellent hotel of this class...kept extremely clean. Front desk staff is very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast area is spacious and one of the best in Zanzibar I have experienced. Fresh fruit (strawberries, oranges, apples, and bananas) in addition to all the other hot and cold items. This stay was during several events in town and they handled groups well. I actually stayed here twice in the same week/ weekend. Second time back was upgraded to a suite which was very nice and spacious. I will be back to this place and highly recommend to others when in the area.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are thebest
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildebeestsafar... K

Reviewed 12 September 2013

If you need a special night in Stone Town this is the place where to be!
Up on the top roof of Seyyda there is this amazing lounge called Lulu: you can enjoy one of the best food experience in Zanzibar! I swear!
The rooms are comfortable and so stylish with this mosquito net who covers your bed like a curtain.
From my room I could even look at the fool moon...so romantic...unluckily I was alone in the bed...
And they are jazz fan as well! ++++++

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank davide n
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and I recently travelled from Australia to Tanzania and Zanzibar on kind of our second honeymoon. Having already travelled to East Africa I was keen to show my wife the splendours of the coast and especially Zanzibar. Undoubtably the highlight of this part was our short but very sweet stay at the Seyyida Hotel in the old stone town. We were very thrilled on arrival at the tasteful yet authentic decor of our room (201 I think) In the same way the rest of the hotel spaces conveyed an overall feeling of romantic calmness, especially from the various terraces, just what we needed. But really the highlight and truely the essence of the hotel was the staff and service that we received. Right from the manager Diana, so friendly and charming with a subtle professionalism to the receptionist so cheerful and helpful and all the others who made our stay there so unforgettable. Oh how can I have nearly missed to mention the food, especially the breakfast (my favourite). If we can manage a third honeymoon would be hard not to revisit this hotel. As long as the staff are all still there!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The hotel and the rooms are lovely. I stayed in a room on the top floor with a private terrace. From the top floor/terrace there is a beautiful view of the sunset. The room was extremely clean and the décor was unique and enchanting. The room and the bathroom are very large and comfortable. Throughout the hotel, there are lots of little areas where one can just relax, read and enjoy the lite July breeze. The hotel is great for sightseeing in Stonetown and there were several great restaurants nearby.The hotel is also very close to the ferry - about a 10 minute walk. I was there during the International Film Festival and found the hotel very convenient for attending events, especially at night and then being able to enjoy a nice stroll along the ocean front. The manager Diana is amazing!! In addition to always having a wonderful smile for her guests, she is very helpful and works extremely hard to ensure that you enjoy your stay. I definitely plan to stay here again while in Zanzibar.

Room Tip: Room on top floor with the private terrace is excellent for watching the sunset or enjoying the bree...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Before booking this hotel I read the reviews with some concern. I called the front desk and spoke to the Manager Diana and she assured me that they had been attended to. I checked in on the 15 July and was greated by a friendly front desk attendant. I was check in to a comfortable room, room was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was served quickly I had bacon and eggs with side order of breakfast fruits. I had lunch in Stone Town. Dinner was a grilled Tuna with a fresh salad. Over all I had a pleasant stay with all the basics I needed in place. I would say that there are a few small things needed i.e a more extensive wine list however I had a good sleep and a decent meal which is what I required.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2013

When you read the hotel's website description of itself, you'd be bowled over by the pictures and the over-the-top description. The reality is vastly different. We stayed there for 3 nights pre-paid in July 2013. While the room was large with 10 foot ceilings and a good view of the bay, the service was non-responsive, the staff ill-trained and the overall feel of the hotel was not "elegant".
From missing coffee/tea fixings in the room, to unstocked bathroom soap, to a 10 year old TV with fuzzy reception, our entire stay was marked by complaint after complaint to the front desk, only some of which were addressed. The food was not particularly creative; it was OK, and the service was slow. The breakfasts were underwhelming. The staff were generally friendly but they had not been trained properly. I wouldn't recommend this hotel until it has a change of management that understands how to operate an "elegant boutique hotel" as it styles itself.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed in Seyyida Hotel & Spa for 2 nights during the low season in 2013. At the time the Hotel was quite empty so we got a huge and nice room in which we could stay with 3 person (each of us got one matrimonial bed). There is also a beautiful roof terace with restaurant. Unfortunately during the low season half of the breakfast and lunch menu wasnt available. The service was friendly, but could be improved

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends