“Could be so much better”

The Seyyida Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Derby, UK
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Could be so much better with some attention to detail - but I suppose this is Africa. We stayed here on two separate occasions during our trip to Tanzania so got a fairly good picture of the hotel.

Pluses are a beautiful building, nice location, large, airy and spacious rooms, a rooftop restaurant with stunning views. Wifi is fee, but very slow and only works in a few areas.
Minuses are stuff in your room that doesn't work - the safe, electrical sockets, the TV, no tissues. You report all this but nothing gets fixed, and I also see the same comments over and over again on this website. The staff seem willing and friendly but in the end it comes down to poor management. An additional issue is that the because the hotel has large rooms with tiled floors it can be very noisy and echoey,

There are 4 rooms with a sea view - 201, 203, 301 and 303. Disadvantage of rooms on the third floor is that you get noise on the roof from the rooftop restaurant, both late night and early morning - but the view is better. If you go for any of the other rooms you may get stuck with a view of a concrete wall and a noisy alley so it may be worth paying a bit extra to specifically reserve a sea view room with balcony as we did.

The reason I gave this place just 3 stars is that after a while the problems in the hotel (and lack of any effort to fix them) began to annoy me and considering the price we were paying ($190 for B&B) I expect a bit more for my money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kmr1809

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

On the downside... Hard to find and tucked away, it is typical of Stone Town slightly Fawlty Towers and a little chaotic! Our room was lovely but we had lights and sockets that didn't work and intermittent electricity (again that's Stone Town!) and the generator in the alleyway outside is very noisy so be warned if your windows overlook that side.

On the upside.... The patio area on the restaurant floor is magical (we had dinner in the top of the little tower which was very special) and the views are lovely. Both the food and the service were good. The hotel is central and only a few minutes walk to the town centre/harbour, museums etc. and of course Freddie Mercury's birthplace!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Muse1984
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed one night only and the service was very good. We arrived ahead of our room being ready. However they offered us the Spa to freshen up and they took our stuff to the room when we were already touring the town.
Room are great! neat, with charming decor and finesse.
Rooftop terrace is a beautiful mix of omani -arab style while catching a great view of the ocean.
Breakfast is very good and refreshing.
Worth reserving it. Excellent value and deal.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing backbards as kids in the neighbourhood keep playing all night long.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed two nights in room 202. The hotel is pretty but located in a very busy and rowdy alley which is hard to get to - taxi may not be able to give you door to door service. Speaking of service, the front desk staff are very kind and courteous, the restaurant staff a little confused, and Fatima in the spa gives a terrific massage but the worst manicure I've ever experienced! Skip it and stick to massage. The room was lovely, large bathroom, spacious room, oddly no hanging space for clothes except in the bathroom.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Edmonton
Reviewed 22 November 2013

As a single female, chose this hotel for security and location. I will admit it may be hard to find the first time but there is a wide walkway straight to the Foordham gardens.
When I returned early evening the turn down service revealed a most inviting and lovely lit room.
Woe is me - all alone in such a romantic room - What a waste!!
The terrace is higher than all the neighboring hotels and there is a lovely entry way, a spa for massages Ooh lala!! Come here with someone you love!

The shower, toilet and AC worked perfectly. There is WIFI but no business centre for those wishing to use the hotel computer.

The drawback I found was the front desk who didn't seem to be able to provide recommendations, transit information or names of fair guides. When I requested a recommended tour to the Spice Farm they called a fellow who charged me a hefty price (entry fee included I was assured) Somehow the communication broke down as I understood the price included a guide - but it only covered the driver. I picked up a very nice, informative guide who deserved a big tip. The driver, I learned was minimally paid by the "company". Either do not go with someone called "Babu" or "Bobo" or bargain him down to 10US dollars for the trip and tip both the driver and guides.

Room Tip: I was shown several rooms and I chose the "coziest".
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kings Beach
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I travel to Zanzbar for business and have stayed here before twice in the same room and loved it. The rooms are beautifully decorated and they have a very nice rooftop for breakfast. The location is great- right in the heart of stone town. The downside which I accepted is the creepy ally leading to the hotel (so might not be the best place for a female traveling alone).

Other than that....... I could not understand the prior negative reviews and then I realized it really depends on which room you get! This trip I was assigned to a different room and asked to move my room twice. The first room was very hot and smelly, big and stale, and the second one the bed was very hard and air conditioner didn't work so the room was very hot. The staff were very accommodating - they prepared two other rooms for to me to check and luckily one was my original room with a nice bed and working air con. So whether this place is "poor" or "excellent" depends on where you end up.

Room Tip: Make sure to check whether the air con is working and if the bed is comfortable in your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank laketahoe_homeowner
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed for 3 nights, the first hotel of our 3 hotel vacation. The first room we stayed in had a poor A/C which failed to cool the room effectively, but there were many baby cockroaches in the bathroom and on the bed. The cleaning of the bathroom was poor. The second morning there was no hot water, we complained, but by 5 pm, the heater had not been fixed, there were no towels (still being laundered) and the bathroom had not been cleaned properly. They moved us to a double room with 2 A/C, which only one worked effectively. We then waited 2 hours for a shower as there were no towels (the reason provided-hotel was full). The shower leaked onto the bathroom floor, because of blocked drain. The breakfast was poor, the first morning we waited for 30 minutes just for coffee, the second morning waited 45 minutes for an omelet. The fruit plate provided was poor (small banana, tiny slice of water melon, two small segments of orange, tiny slice of pineapple, one piece of papaya), no cereals had been available for 1 month. The breakfast menu is limited, only western options, no local dishes. Service is exceptionally slow. Overall, the hotel offers very poor value for money, with serious management failings, in staff supervision, maintenance and food delivery

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family