Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jeff d

Ideal location for exploring Stonetown

Review of Jafferji House
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Mar 2024
You can't judge a place from the front, or from where it's located. This was a little gem of a B & B (for us). We ate out for lunch & dinner, but really enjoyed their breakfasts. More on the service & rooms first. The front desk manager, which varied, was always very kind & attentive to our needs. The rooms were very nice, beds super comfortable, and having a TV was not a necessity until I got a little sick (possibly from eating out at lunch?), and then I could watch sports. Having a safe for valuables was a bonus. I saw some reviews on Google maps that did not put the hotel in a good light, but our group was there for 4 nights and we never had anything stolen, or any bad experience. Just be wise & careful. The rooms were cleaned daily and the working fan & AC were really nice!

The architecture is really cool with lots of old wood, nice decorations, and interesting design. The rooftop was nice, with a great view of the harbor to the west. It is next to a mosque, but that didn't bother us. We had breakfast up there every morning and they had a couple of juice choices, plus really good masala tea, and bottled water - would be nice if they could not use SO MANY plastic bottles, and maybe get those larger ones & dispense into glass pitchers, but I can only suggest. The freshly made maandazi were amazing and there were several fruit choices, yoghurt, and bread - I've lived in Portugal and really appreciate nice, freshly baked bread and this was just the cheap store-packaged white bread, but bread is not a huge part of this culture. We could order eggs and my omelet was always very good. Coffee is pretty basic, so I did masala tea instead and they also make a nice lemon grass tea.

As is true with all of Africa where I've lived & traveled, all the staff are super friendly & patient.

The location is perfect - right next to the Old Fort and Mama Mia (gelato), as well as Forodhani Food Market, but easy walking distance to everything in Stonetown proper. We had a guide take us around & give us a tour of Darajani (the bazaar or market area), the Anglican church and slave market site (very sobering), the Fort, and other places.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Some of the little shops sell the large water bottles (1.5 L) for half the price of what you'd...
Trip type: Travelled with family
  • ZenHotels.com
    £258
    £271
View more hotels in Stone Town
All reviews rooftop restaurant beautiful hotel our honeymoon stayed here for two nights the air conditioning indian ocean heart stonetown zanzibar bath africa history balconies
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 February 2024 via mobile

Great staff friendly huge room and courtyard. After some reviews I got worried but this is in the centre of everything you need for trips museum of f mercury island trips markets resteraunts bars. Remember we r in Africa so cannot be compared with Europe. Only fault internet crashes a lot so confirming onward flights is a worry.

Room tip: Very hot this time of year and all the covering up for ladies I found to be rubbish. Sun tops and shorts were the dress code I found
Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2024 via mobile

Utterly enchanting- from our 5am arrival until our departure 3 days later we were looked after so incredibly well. The hotel organised our airport pickup and opened up with a gentle tap (you may need help to find it as it’s in the narrow streets of old Stonetown). The front of house was superb and Peter took care of us. The hotel has so much atmosphere, full of antiques and lush vegetation. Breakfast is in the roof balcony. Excursions can be organised. I had read a few unpleasant reviews but I can’t think why, cleanliness was first class and the hospitality was outstanding. I hope you are lucky enough to find a room - we stayed 3 nights it was so well located.

Room tip: Get the hotel to organise your airport pick-up, it’s especially worth it for early arrivals and orientation. You’ll probably need help.
Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2023 via mobile

If you are looking to stay in Stone Town, this location is ideal. My room was large with plenty of hot water. The staff were friendly, and the continental breakfast was filling. Also close to the port. I had a problem with the morning call to prayer at 4:40 AM. The WiFi is horrible. In the six days I was there, it worked for less than an hour. To be consisted, I had to remove one star. I did not like the hidden charge on my arrival. Also the roof leaked in heavy storms. I hope this review helps.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2023

The best hotel in Stown Town, very central, great position to walk anywhere and go sightseeing and shopping. The rooms are very large and clean and the staff is very polite and helpful! We loved the breakfast on the roof-top with the amzing view! Thre is a yard full of plants, perfect for zen pics! It was wonderful! Thank you all!

Date of stay: August 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2023 via mobile

Fascinating okd stylish hotel with perfect location in the center of Stone Town. Delicious breakfast was served in the roof top terrace with view over the city and the sea. The rooms were large, and the staff were most friendly and helpful. We would really want to go back.

Date of stay: April 2023