“Interesting hotel but a bit scary!”
Review of Emerson Spice

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Emerson Spice
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Well located hotel and friendly staff but I wouldn't recommend it for solo travelers. I had sleeping problems during my stay there because of the room decoration! I've never been so scared in all my life. All I knew was that the room was named after a famous Tanzanian singer who died last century!!! This lack of information had a tremendous impact on my ability to sleep properly.

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room with an identity (as rooms are not numbered like most of the hotels). My...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
babuemerson, Owner at Emerson Spice, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

How can we respond to this? Perhaps include the room on the "Ghost Tour of Zanzibar?"

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Was subjected to a scam for prison island tour... They requested money in advance and was just transported to the island and left there. No guide was provided in contrary to the promise. Driver did not show to pick up. Most bizzare attitude was that we were denied eating dinner in our own hotel because tables were reserved by people who ARE NOT staying at the hotel. İ felt so stupid for staying in this expensive hotel.. A valuable advice to people who plan to go to Zanzibar: Stay far far away from the hotel but make a reservation for dinner...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Atc566
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I we spend here the last month one night only.... ( but we sure come back), the room was really nice with all the little amenities, the breakfast in the balcony amazing! And the dinner in the rooftop OMG better much better than we expected, I can tell you like a gastronomic restaurant. I enjoyed every single bite..... wonderful!!

Of course we come back and I hope they have availability!

Well done guys!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I had a dream of what Zanzibar would be and Emerson Spice fulfilled it. It's beautiful, and an incredibly great value. We spent one night at a hotel less than a block away, and I am amazed by the difference $25 made when we moved to Emerson Spice. We had luxury, beauty, incredible thoughtfulness, and wonderful food. We ate lunch at the ground floor cafe, breakfast on our balcony, and the set menu dinner on the rooftop. I especially commend the Emerson on their care. I fell and injured myself at a beach resort and called the Emerson for a medical recommendation. When we drove back through Stone Town I was met by one of their staff, who came to my taxi. He accompanied me to the doctor, stayed with me, and then brought me back to my travel companions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajiiccharlie
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was the most amazing place to unwind and relax after our safari and far exceeded our expectations. We stayed in Kate room on our honeymoon - my wife couldn't wait to spend a relaxing hour in the outdoor bath (There is also an indoor bath in our room just in case we didn't want a view over Stone Town). From the balconies on both sides of our room, it was simply amazing, with stunning furnishings from top to bottom and I only wish we had spent another night before going to our beach accommodation just to relax and sample the atmosphere a bit more.

We never ate dinner at the restaurant, the menu was too fish heavy for my liking on the night we were there, however we were walked to and from an Indian Restaurant and given a flash light and mobile phone to call the hotel to let them now when to pick us up - I don't think we would have found our way back otherwise as it is was a good 10-15 min walk through narrow winding streets. We were also taken on a detour to see the night markets on the way back which was fabulous.

Breakfast was simply wonderful, we ate in the rooftop restaurant overlooking Stone Town and ate a selection of fruits as well as Scrambled Eggs which were of the highest quality. This came from my wife who is head chef herself. I think she also fell in love with the room as well and didn't want to leave from the number of pictures she took.

I cannot recommend Emerson Spice highly enough. The free Wi Fi comes in very handy after 5 days out on Safari as it was great to post a few pictures for friends and family back home again.

All the staff and the owner are very personable and we were made to feel very welcome by everyone. We both thought our stay here ranked alongside our stay in the Grumeti Eco Lodge as the best experiences on our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Kate is an amazing room and I would highly recommend it, but each room is individually designed
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DidsburyRed
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This hotel's roof top restaurant was one of the highlights of our 3 week holiday to Kenya and Tanzania. We dined two out of the three nights to unique and innovative cuisine, with the magic of a Zanzibar sunset. Super value, great service, outstanding and unique cuisine and the sunset and stars as the backdrop - a must do in Stone Town.

On route up to the roof we peaked in several of the rooms whose doors were open and they are well done, light and airy. Proximity to several mosques and the market may make it a bit nosy but looks like a great historical old town experience.

Room Tip: Make reservations and the menu is adventurous so if you aren't willing to try something complete...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DagnyA
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Emerson Spice is a magical place. The rooms are so beautifully furnished and the staff so helpful and friendly that I never wanted to leave. And the food.....the food served in the restaurant upstairs was so good that we didn't eat any where else.
If you are looking for some where to stay in Stone Town choose Emerson Spice. It is magical.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
#12 of 33 in Stone Town
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#4 of 174 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Emerson Spice? Share your experiences!