Emerson Spice
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Emerson on Hurumzi(Stone Town)
  • Breakfast included
Coco De Mer Hotel(Stone Town)
  • Restaurant
Kholle House(Stone Town)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe secret gardentasting menurooftop restaurantmobile phonecall to prayerspeed dialtea houseunique experiencelocal ingredientssister propertymagical hotellong balconyspecial hoteloutdoor bathtubstained glass windowshigh ceilingsmemorable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in January 2012 with my parents and we had the MOST magical time. I have been meaning to write this review since then...... It is a testament to Emerson Spice and its staff that I still feel that I want to write this review nearly 2 years on. The staff made us feel incredibly welcome, the rooms were beautiful and the food was delish! Probably one of the best, if not the best, hotel I have ever stayed. A idyllic home from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Fantastic hotel, rooms are extremely nice, creative, tasteful, enjoyable, restful! The staff is ever so forthcoming, knowledgeable, helpful, understanding, service minded, and helpful. The food is absolutely great and served in the most wonderful roof terrace. Do not miss this chance of indulging yourself and someone you appreciate. Make sure you have some time to enjoy every bit of your room as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Liseiafrika
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Located right in the middle of it all. Terrific view and a very memorable dinner menu. Surrounded by very cool shops and run by an exceptionally friendly staff, I'd definitely return to this hotel.
Things to know: The call for prayer might jog you out of a dream at (and I'll remember this time forever on my iPhone screen) 4:47 AM.
Check prices as soon as you LAND at the AIRPORT because the street vendors charge more than the cleaner airport shops.
Some places close early if there aren't customers, so call ahead.

Room Tip: The Violet Room had balconies and what seemed to be historic furniture. Street noise is throughout the hotel, but ends early in the evening.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel may not be perfect for those of you who like the bland, though sometimes luxurious, sameness of a Doubletree or Hilton, but for those of you who like a little adventure, exquisite beauty, and something uniquely opulent in your holiday accommodations, Emerson Spice is for you. The hotel was a sultan's palace that has been refurbished to its former glory through the stylish eye of Emerson Skeens. It is conveniently located in the heart of Stone Town, which is glorious, and well deserving of its UNESCO World Heritage Site designation. My room, Camille, was simply over-the-top in splendor, with a gorgeous antique bed with mosquito-netting draping it, a large veranda overlooking Stone Town, gold floor-to-ceiling drapes, a large sitting room, and the antique tub and shower in the room, which though I stayed alone in the room, I found to be sexy. I also stayed in the Desdemona room (we stayed at the beginning and end of out trip), which I found to be equally charming and delightful. The hotel itself is magnificent, with huge wooden staircases and banisters that shine even in the dim glow of night somehow. Our dinners at the rooftop restaurant were world-class, with five unique dishes being served that seduced all of our senses. the breakfast each morning of fresh fruits, eggs, and bread was also fantastic. The service was top-notch in every way, with reception being happy to set up any tour, sightseeing, or service that we asked for promptly and courteously. In all truth, I have heard that several famous people have stayed here, and I honestly don't think they could have been treated any better than we were. I loved everything about this hotel.

In full disclosure, I am Emerson's niece, and it was my first time getting to come and stay here. I had read all of the Trip Advisor reviews with pride for what my Uncle Emerson has been able to accomplish. Now, I am happy to report that not only does his hotel live up to all the hype, but that I can fully recommend this hotel without any hesitation to anyone who is looking for something a little different in their already off-the-beaten-path experience.

Thank you to everyone who made our stay so special. We will never forget it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Defiantmonkey
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This hotel is absolutely fantastic...probably the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed. There should be an extra star for places like this. If you're in Stone Town, it's completely worth the extra splurge, it will definitely be a memorable stay. What a beautiful place full of history, impeccably decorated, each room with special touches.... Particularly recommend Violetta room and especially the Kate room. Wonderful and hospitable owner and staff, and a fantastic rooftop with city view for breakfast or dinner to boot. Really a world class hotel, couldn't be more highly recommended!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family