All reviews the secret garden tasting menu rooftop restaurant mobile phone call to prayer tea house long balcony unique experience sister hotel magical hotel high ceilings memorable stay private balcony outdoor shower each morning our honeymoon arabian nights
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at Emerson Spice over Christmas. When we walked into our suite, the Aida room, my daughter said, "Can I live here?" That about sums it up. Beautiful, very creatively decorated rooms, spacious well- supplied bathrooms, and about the best service i've ever had in a hotel. I mentioned a few things- meal preference, etc.- in my email when we reserved the room, all of which they remembered when we arrived. Guests are given a mobile phone programmed with the hotel's numbers in case you get lost while wandering around Stone Town. We had Christmas Dinner on the rooftop restaurant, and the food, while creatively put together, wasn't as good as hoped- but the service was outstanding, and our en suite breakfast the next morning was superb.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Not much to add but will agree 10000% with all the 5 star reviews. Rooms are gorgeous and comfortable. We had a huge balcony that over looked the street and apartment windows. We loved waving and chatting with our neighbors! We spent two nights but could have easily stayed four. We loved the hotel and Stone Town that much.

There is a small mosque just outside the hotel and hearing the call to prayer 5 times a day is incredible. Being awoken so very early in the morning to the soothing muezzin's voice is truly like being in heaven. Highly recommend going to the upstairs restaurant to experience the sundown call. Magical!

Our only regret was that Emerson himself was not around during our stay. How we would have loved to speak with him about his gorgeous hotel. Thank you Emerson for creating a perfectly romantic oasis in such an amazing city!! We will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeDowntown
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had read all the good reviews of Emerson Spice so I had high expectations and I was not disappointed! our family stayed in Aida and it was the nicest suite we ever have stayed in. Our teenage boys loved it, they had their own room up stairs and the rooms weres beautiful and spacious and we also had a nice sitting area with a day bed. The bathroom was big and confortable. The balcony was nice. The staff was kind and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay. The manager was very nice and helpful, he followed us and showed us they way to restaurants. We booked a guided tour through the hotel and the guide was very good. I can highly recommend the hotel! The breakfast was good, we did not have dinner at the roof top restaurant since it was Thursday and the restaurant was closed but we had both lunch and dinner at their sister hotel, Emerson Green, and it was so good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is my second visit to Emerson Spice. On this journey I was accompanied by friends from the UK and SA. Once again Emerson Spice was superb! They not only maintained the high standards set during my first visit, but exceeded expectations! Service was impeccable. Your needs are anticipated & nothing is a chore for the friendly and efficient staff. I was assigned room Desdemona and thoroughly enjoyed the ample space, daybed & outside sitting area. Dining at the rooftop restaurant is an exceptional experience. I have lodged in many hotels, boutique hotels, resorts etc. and the unique experience at Emerson Spice remains unparalleled.

Room Tip: Each room has its own character and is unique. Prior to reserving your room, request a description of the rooms & request one that suits your needs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed only one night unfortunately... It was amazing! The rooms are incredible, it has been recently renovated, the location cannot be more central, the stuff was very very friendly, the food was delicious! A dinner at the roof is a must!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends