All reviewsthe secret gardentasting menurooftop restaurantmobile phonecall to prayertea houselong balconyunique experiencesister hotelmagical hotelhigh ceilingsmemorable stayprivate balconyoutdoor showereach morningour honeymoonarabian nights
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Its no wonder that this is the top hotel in stonetown. It really was fantastic; the rooms were absolutely romantic and the uniqueness of each makes for fun exploring around the hotel. Admittedly there are a few rough patches, but in my time in the region, have learned that a few wobbly fixtures is par for the course. The food is top notch - even if you are not staying there, you still must get a reservation for the tasting menu.

But for me, what made the hotel was the staff. The manager was ever present and attentive; and whenever we had a question ("Where is the best place to buy fresh vanilla?"), the response was generally to send us with someone on the staff who could help us navigate the very confusing streets ("At my brother's stand in the market; let me show you."). A nice personal, welcome touch on an already great place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bethany G
babuemerson, Owner at Emerson Spice, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for the glorious review. There is nothing better than someone who would like to return again and again and we would hope to do even better the next time you come. My staff and I very rarely forget our guests but let us know that your next is a return visit. One thing I really hope that you understood is how much my staff love interacting with guests. It's a pleasure for all of us and it will be a pleasure again the next time. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We spend an evening at the rooftop with splendid view over Stone Town. The food was served in five rounds, every one with 5 small and well composed dishes of spices, seafood, seasoning, and a variaty of tastes which matches the impression of the town and the island.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jobaaroy
babuemerson, Owner at Emerson Spice, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

You're right! It's good Swahili cuisine made by several crazy "foodies" playing in the kitchen. We're having serious fun and we're so glad you like it. Thanks, Emerson

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at Emerson Spice over Christmas. When we walked into our suite, the Aida room, my daughter said, "Can I live here?" That about sums it up. Beautiful, very creatively decorated rooms, spacious well- supplied bathrooms, and about the best service i've ever had in a hotel. I mentioned a few things- meal preference, etc.- in my email when we reserved the room, all of which they remembered when we arrived. Guests are given a mobile phone programmed with the hotel's numbers in case you get lost while wandering around Stone Town. We had Christmas Dinner on the rooftop restaurant, and the food, while creatively put together, wasn't as good as hoped- but the service was outstanding, and our en suite breakfast the next morning was superb.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Not much to add but will agree 10000% with all the 5 star reviews. Rooms are gorgeous and comfortable. We had a huge balcony that over looked the street and apartment windows. We loved waving and chatting with our neighbors! We spent two nights but could have easily stayed four. We loved the hotel and Stone Town that much.

There is a small mosque just outside the hotel and hearing the call to prayer 5 times a day is incredible. Being awoken so very early in the morning to the soothing muezzin's voice is truly like being in heaven. Highly recommend going to the upstairs restaurant to experience the sundown call. Magical!

Our only regret was that Emerson himself was not around during our stay. How we would have loved to speak with him about his gorgeous hotel. Thank you Emerson for creating a perfectly romantic oasis in such an amazing city!! We will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeDowntown
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had read all the good reviews of Emerson Spice so I had high expectations and I was not disappointed! our family stayed in Aida and it was the nicest suite we ever have stayed in. Our teenage boys loved it, they had their own room up stairs and the rooms weres beautiful and spacious and we also had a nice sitting area with a day bed. The bathroom was big and confortable. The balcony was nice. The staff was kind and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay. The manager was very nice and helpful, he followed us and showed us they way to restaurants. We booked a guided tour through the hotel and the guide was very good. I can highly recommend the hotel! The breakfast was good, we did not have dinner at the roof top restaurant since it was Thursday and the restaurant was closed but we had both lunch and dinner at their sister hotel, Emerson Green, and it was so good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family