The website makes this hotel look better than it really is. It is pleasant but seems overpriced. Entrance area is cramped buy courtyard with pool is nice. There are several other alternatives in town. We were glad we booked the suites which were spacious. Number 15 is especially nice and has a huge bathroom. We enjoyed the small but lovely pool on steamy afternoons which was our main reason for choosing this hotel. Breakfast is now the only meal regularly served and it was just ok. We had a special new years dinner that was disappointing with exceptionally slow service. Location is great between the center of stonetown and the market in a neighborhood with local flavor. The biggest hassle is the need to pay in cash especially at the end of a long trip. Access to ATMs is unreliable. Better to pay by wire in advance. Guide provided for a half day tour of stonetown was very good. Service at the hotel was a mixed bag. Some great some not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kholle House fact sheet:Services & Facilities:• Wi-Fi available• Outdoor swimming pool• Transport to/from airport if required at an additional charge. Zanzibar airport and Dar es Salaam airport – ferry dock• Island tours and sea activities assistance. Kholle House in the heart of Stone Town is an historical and authentic house build in 1860 which belonged to Princess Kholle. Sister of Sayyid Sultan bin Bargash and Princess Salme. The house has probably been there as a showcase from their crystal collection and porcelain.After the revolution in 1964 the house was confiscated and occupied by several families, this period caused severe damages in the house. Three years of restoration has brought us the pleasure to present our town beloved house, the work done in connection with historical monuments and in full respect with the construction methods in the time (coral rubble, lime, mangrove beams, marble…). With a noble and austere facade the building is typically Omani Arabic style while the garden has more Indo-Victorian fantasy rhythms. This style is featured on the covers of the old dispensary which faces Kholle House, that was restored by the Aga Khan Foundation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Priceline so you can book your Kholle House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kholle House Hotel Stone Town
- Kholle House Zanzibar Island/Stone Town