“Best ethiopian food outside Ethiopia!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 75 Restaurants in Stone Town
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Triengen, Switzerland
“Best ethiopian food outside Ethiopia!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went two times to this restaurant..in three days!!we have eaten very often in ethiopian restaurants all over the world, but this was the best food we ever had!

Thanks to the whole team!! marco&petra

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
01082013q, Owner at Abyssinian Maritim Ethiopian Traditional Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear our guste, Abyssinian team all we thank you for the review you gave us about our resturant we are glad to serve you again in another trip to zanzibar.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Everything was superb.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything about this restaurant was excellent; the staff were brilliant, atmosphere was great and the food was amazing.
I visited this restaurant twice, once in the evening and then in the afternoon, both times were perfect.
The food was gorgeous, eat with your hands and use the injera (like a large, thin pancake) to wrap around pieces of meat and mop up the sauces.
After the meal, enjoy an incredible coffee brewed in the traditional way right before your eyes.
Next time I visit Zanzibar, I guarantee i'll visit this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
Athens, Greece
“Exotic and excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Did not have a clue as to what Ethiopian food was all about. Loved it. The food was awesome and the ambience was terrific too. The service was great. Very reasonably priced as well. Definitely a must go when in stone town.

Visited February 2014
Karlskrona, Sweden
“Excellent service, fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

There is plenty of restaurants to choose from in Stone Town. I noticed this place when I was exploring the city on my own. After I checked Tripadvisor about the restaurant, which is currently #6 in Stone Town, and very close to my hostel, I decided to give it a shot. First time I ever tasted Etiopian food so I was a bit surprised about the injera (the Etiopian bread) first. The staff greeted me when I arrived and happy showed me to a table. The prices are not that bad, even for a backpacker like me (you have to spoil yourself sometimes). I spent, totally 25 000 shilling, including tips and drinks, on the dinner and I had one of the more expensive dishes. That's about 10 euro. I like the idea to eat with your hands, it feels more foreign and different then I'm used to. Staff, very friendly. Food, very good. Go here!

• Visited May 2014
Mwanza
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Had a family meal here recently. The menu was nicely varied and we loved the food. Having lived in Ethiopia I can vouch for its authenticity (though the injera was almost too fresh - it's nicer when it's a little more sour). The location is great, just on the edge of the main tourist area and the garden in which the food is served is clean and sheltered.
Highly recommended.