Abyssinian Maritim Ethiopian Traditional Restaurant
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was here last year and pretty much ate here everyday.

The food is amazing. Perhaps one of the best examples of Ethiopian I ever had and perhaps the best restaurant on the Island.

The beef tibs is a brilliant dish and should be tried by everyone as should the mead. My mouth literally waters writing about it :)

Overall excellent. A totally hidden gem of an eatery and possibly one of the best restaurants I've been to (and I've been to many). The service was very good and the lady who works there was delightful.

My only complaint is the mosquitoes so try to sit indoors if possible.

1  Thank Haseeb-Ur-Rehman

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went two times to this restaurant..in three days!!we have eaten very often in ethiopian restaurants all over the world, but this was the best food we ever had!

Thanks to the whole team!! marco&petra

01082013q, Owner at Abyssinian Maritim Ethiopian Traditional Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear our guste, Abyssinian team all we thank you for the review you gave us about our resturant we are glad to serve you again in another trip to zanzibar.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything about this restaurant was excellent; the staff were brilliant, atmosphere was great and the food was amazing.
I visited this restaurant twice, once in the evening and then in the afternoon, both times were perfect.
The food was gorgeous, eat with your hands and use the injera (like a large, thin pancake) to wrap around pieces of meat and mop up the sauces.
After the meal, enjoy an incredible coffee brewed in the traditional way right before your eyes.
Next time I visit Zanzibar, I guarantee i'll visit this restaurant.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Did not have a clue as to what Ethiopian food was all about. Loved it. The food was awesome and the ambience was terrific too. The service was great. Very reasonably priced as well. Definitely a must go when in stone town.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

There is plenty of restaurants to choose from in Stone Town. I noticed this place when I was exploring the city on my own. After I checked Tripadvisor about the restaurant, which is currently #6 in Stone Town, and very close to my hostel, I decided to give it a shot. First time I ever tasted Etiopian food so I was a bit surprised about the injera (the Etiopian bread) first. The staff greeted me when I arrived and happy showed me to a table. The prices are not that bad, even for a backpacker like me (you have to spoil yourself sometimes). I spent, totally 25 000 shilling, including tips and drinks, on the dinner and I had one of the more expensive dishes. That's about 10 euro. I like the idea to eat with your hands, it feels more foreign and different then I'm used to. Staff, very friendly. Food, very good. Go here!