“My little happy get away place”
Review of Travellers Cafe

Travellers Cafe
Ranked #24 of 82 Restaurants in Stone Town
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Tasting food, refreshing drinks and a nice terrace with fantastic view on the Ocean.Intimate place, informal friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Try as I might to find good basic food with friendly service and a stunning view Im always left unimpressed elsewhere...

This little haven may have the odd short comings , but we love this little reason for happiness !!
.I along with countless guests and friends frequent Traveller's Cafe .It is one cafe we can count on for friendly service and consistent food quality. Affordable to every budget.

We never hesitate to recommend Traveller's Cafe

Reviewed 7 August 2013

After a day of sightseeing around Stone Town we headed to the Travellers Cafe to watch what was to be a beautiful sunset. It was a perfect end to our day, as well as the sunset it was lovely to see the local children playing football on the beach below and the wine we were served it was well priced and a lovely treat.
It's a must visit to watch the sunset.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Food was tasty, prompt and the service was very good from the waitress who appeared to be working the whole outdoor area alone.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This place has the markings of a good cafe... if you don't mind the mismanagement and unhygienic food prep you'll be fine!

I'd checked prices earlier in the day and based on that, and the excellent location, I decided to come back in the afternoon. The cafe is set off the street, overlooking the water. With minimal noise and such a tranquil vista it seemed like the perfect location to relax after walking around town. There is no wifi but that is not a major drawback. The staff however!

I wanted a drink straight away so, as the menu was being delivered, I asked for a beer. Unfortunately, the waiter didn't hang around long enough to realise I was trying to place an order. He plonked the menu on the table and without making eye contact kept walking. I can live with that, perhaps he's busy, should I be so quick to judge?

I got my beer eventually, although the same waiter seemed a little incredulous that I was only ordering a drink. There was the same lack of finesse in delivering of beer as with the menu.

I needed to go to the bathroom so I asked for the key. The bathroom has 2 access doors, one from the kitchen, one from outside. Staff use the former, customers the latter. As I unlocked the door and entered, one of the cooks was just finishing going to the toilet. He hadn't bothered to shut the cubicle door. Not exactly a sight a customer wants to see. Zipping up his pants in front of me he returned to the kitchen without washing his hands. At this point I was rather glad I had not ordered any food.

The final whammy of my fairly poor experience at this cafe was to go to the counter to pay only to see the waitress write down the incorrect total. 2 drinks Sh 8,000. When I corrected her she told me the price had changed. Not on the 2 menus I had been given that day! I then looked at the stack of menus and saw that on some a piece of paper had been stapled across the beer section. This temporary and very flimsy solution only remained on a few menus; lone staples on others; nothing at all on others.

It doesn't take much to print a new menu. However if that is not a priority then it is the responsibility of the staff to inform the customer prior to purchase. Some might pass this off with a "this is Africa"; however with the multiple failures in staff management witnessed in a short period I tend to disagree.

I won't be going back. There are plenty of other nice cafes in Stone Town.

1  Thank WalkaboutKen
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We planned to go to Amore Mia,But we saw that the place was closed for renovations.so we spotted travelers cafe right on the sea front .it was a busy place,,they took long to serve us,and also didn't offer free WIFI like all other places did once your having your meal there..so that was a drawback as the food wasn't that cheap...the steak was great and a view by the beach is an excellent way to dine!!it would have been great if they brought all condiments before food was served...overall ,we would go there again once their services are improved...great view though!!! a must visit for anyone!!:)