“Nice Place for A Sunset Drink”

The Terrace at the Zanzibar Serena Inn
Ranked #40 of 82 Restaurants in Stone Town
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Plus they had Taarab music entertainment. VERY romantic way to start an evening listening to music, watching the sun set and drinling a G&T. At least it was for us.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This restaurant was not what we expected, especially after the reviews we read on here. The restaurant was only 4 tables, which made it a nice, intimate feel, especially with the view of the Indian ocean, and the stars at night time. The service was very good, but the food was absolutely atrocious. We were a party of 4, and 3 people got sick from the food here. I am vegetarian, but my husband and friends are seafood lovers. They complained the food tasted "off" and that their seafood platters were either under or over cooked. The crab cakes had shells left in them. I ordered the gazpacho to start and I think all they did was puree some tomatoes and added salt. I then had the Madras curry, and I have no idea what kind of spices they used, but it tasted awful. I barely touched the food. Finally, I ordered the apple for dessert, which was decent, but I definitely had better food elsewhere during our trip.
I would not eat here, nor would I recommend this place to anyone, especially considering the price.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Great location, well appointed, almost idyllic with the white sand and stunning blues waters lapping gently on the door step. We planned to watch the sunset over a cocktail and then have dinner in the restaurant that was inviting. The menu looked interesting. Prior to the restaurant opening we ordered a good bottle of white. I was shocked when the wine was served only a little cooler than room temperature. When I asked for a cold bottle I was told they would put it on ice and that would do the trick. The waiter was clearly upset about being question on the wine temperature. His attitude was disappointing. Given this, we left and had dinner at a close by restaurant, 6 Degrees, South. We were not disappointed and the wine was chilled to perfection and actually cheaper than at Serena.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

An absolutely amazing view of the Indian Ocean and one of the best places in town for a Sundowner! Great service which is very personal and attentive.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a beautiful setting on the terrace of a fine hotel. The ambiance was wonderful! The stars were out, the sounds of the ocean, candlelit tables, and not a single annoying bug! It's too bad the quality of the food was only average for such a beautiful setting. The prawn appetizer was good, but nothing special. none of our party of 4 liked the soup, and all of us felt our entrees were just OK. I had lobster thermidor and thought it was dry, needed more sauce, and the meat the chewy. I will say the banana creme brulee was delicious. At about $50pp, excluding wine, it was not a bargain. Much better meals can be had in Stone Town for half the price. I was really surprised since everything else about the Zanzibar Serena is exquisite. The breakfast served each morning is delicious, as are the crepes served poolside each afternoon.